The State of Nvidia RTX Ray Tracing: One Year Later

Julio Franco

Staff member
Nvidia got so much flak as not only do they hyped the RTX to be more than it was but also they launched the 20xx series at ridiculous price point and justified it by citing the RTX. They also know how much they have messed up and that's why we have GTX 1660 being launched now to protect their market share.
For 30xx they serioesly need to return to 10xx series price level with a modest performance increase over 20xx. Don't be Intel, Nvidia.

GamersNexus did a piece on Real Time Ray Tracing. A number of the effects can be reproduced using traditional rasterization and a few tricks. What's hard to reproduce is quality reflections that RT provides. I'd personally prefer if they'd focus their efforts on graphics technologies that can only be done via Ray Tracing and leave others to rasterization. I also see RT being tied to AI de noising technology as a bottleneck, as Nvidia have freely admitted that the neural network takes time to process. In other words, your frame times might be capped by the speed of the Neural network. I haven't seen a high frame rate RT game but it would be interesting to see exactly how many frames can be denoised per second.

Nvidia got so much flak as not only do they hyped the RTX to be more than it was but also they launched the 20xx series at ridiculous price point and justified it by citing the RTX. They also know how much they have messed up and that's why we have GTX 1660 being launched now to protect their market share.
For 30xx they serioesly need to return to 10xx series price level with a modest performance increase over 20xx. Don't be Intel, Nvidia.

I think Nvidia is smart enough to lower prices when there is competition. They've done it before to great success. Hopefully AMD rolls out a sucessful high end Navi so we can get some price sanity in the high end. AMD has been underpricing Nvidia but still not to normal prices. I don't think we will get regular pricing back until next gen at the earliest.

Last edited:
Hopefully AMD rolls out a sucessful high end Navi so we can get some price sanity in the high end. AMD has been underpricing Nvidia but still not to normal prices. I don't think we will get regular pricing back until next gen at the earliest.
This is almost guaranteed as AMD 102 is supposed to have 2080 ti level performance. I would normally take that with a bucket of salt but considering both Microsoft and Sony are gonna use it for next gen consoles means it has better price/performance ratio.

Author makes a mistake by calling RTX, as ray tracing.

RTX can do ray tracing, but RTX is it's own API.... that Nvidia engineers have to work with Developer's to implement (It just doesn't work). RT (Ray Tracing) is something like DX12 DXR... that a Developer just makes a game and whatever video card uses the DXR information, renders their ray tracing. No specific or re-engineered code to get it to work on specific hardware.

Jensen tried really hard to market RTX = ray tracing, and many people bought into his proprietary hoax. Most of the RTX hardware is not used in DXR.

It would be an epic fail not to buy a first generation RTX card for raytracing! It's not as if future generations will offer better raytracing performance for less money. Plus you want to be on that vanguard bandwagon! Remember Nvidia Hairworks, the list of games that support it is now up to five!...if you include Nvidia VR Funhouse as a game....and witcher 3 and its DLC as two separate games. AMD video card owners were left cursing at their monitors unable to play Call of Duty: Ghost in all its wavy hair glory.

Frankly, I do not see a significant difference in any of the screenshots except in one 'reflection' shot. Being a 'budget' gamer, I want many frames for my dollars and substantive scenery rather than marginal eye-candy. I'm certain to change my tune as soon as I can get RT 60fps for under $200, but I bet it will be AMD or, possibly, Intel and not likely to be nVidia.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Nvidia and game developers pushing ahead with new technology that will (or may) eventually become mainstream and improve the overall gaming experience, but with the dearth of RT titles and the hit or miss implementations so far, it seems that the real issue is that RTX cards have Tcores dedicated to RT that can't be utilized otherwise. With no sku for sku GTX alternative to the RTX cards available, RT has a performance hit whether you have RT enabled or not.

First generation implementations. They usually never look that amazing or run that well. Everyone pretty much knew that 12 months ago, nothing has really changed.

Nvidia dedicate about 10 percent of the RTX GPU die area to the RT cores. It's not enough clearly, to run at the speeds you need. If they doubled up the number of cores for their future 7nm cards then you're starting to get somewhere.

Couple it with increased developer experience and awareness I think we'll see good progress next year.

The differences are so hard to notice that only the richest people will buy a very expensive card just because of ray tracing. But if you have money to waste, and you already have everything else, then why not buy the best RTX card. It costs less than a single tire of your new sports car, right?

Looks like Ray Tracing is gaining ground and folks without it are missing out. When you can see the difference in screenshots, it would be very noticeable in many situations, as the tester implied. Even though its still in its infancy, its just another reason Nvidia is, has been, and will continue to be the best gaming GPU money can buy at every price point. And like Gsync compared to Freesync for example, and many of their other copied technologies, it will be more polished as well.
The other HUGE and MASSIVE awesomeness factor no one really thought of initially, is the implementation in older games. If they do remake HL2 with Ray Tracing, yours truly will smash through the campaign one last time down the road when I get an RTX GPU. If they redo Unreal with it, I will sell my RTX 2070 smoking overclocked to the beans GTX 1080 and get an RTX card.
Great review, so far so good with Ray Tracing. Steam gamers know whats up, which is why 80%-90% use Nvidia.
And to the haters and naysayers, A) its obvious, every thread, just an FYI, and B) Umm... make more money I suppose.

what struck me about RTX wasn’t necessarily how it looked when it was on, but how the game looks when you turn it off. Especially in the various train scenes, the game looks natural and well lit with RTX on, but when you turn it off after having it on for a period of time, it looks a bit strange and flat due to that unnatural fill light.

With ray traced reflections enabled, the differences are quite obvious. On ground surfaces, ray traced reflections are more striking than their screen space counterparts, as well as more accurate. They also show details that aren’t always visible in the frame, which naturally is impossible with screen space reflections. The bigger improvements are on window reflections, which are completely absent with ray tracing off, but quite striking with ray tracing enabled. Not only can you often see what’s behind you, but you can see yourself in the reflections

Awesome!

Last edited:
Mantle failed hard, but even when Khronos took over, people still defended it. No one forced anyone to buy RTX cards. With more time and DXR 1.1 coming out, it will only get better. The hype is real. We survived PhysX, we can survive this too.

Mantle failed hard, but even when Khronos took over, people still defended it. No one forced anyone to buy RTX cards. With more time and DXR 1.1 coming out, it will only get better. The hype is real. We survived PhysX, we can survive this too.

Mantle features were integrated into vulkan. It also influenced some of DX12 features. I'd call that a complete success, getting the world two largest game APIs to adopt your feature set.

I wonder how long would be the article, if it was written by Steve. I'd prefer it be a little bit shorter, incl. conclusions section. But as a review of available RT-capable games it is valuable one.

. The hype is real.

Judging by the screenshots and review, so is Ray Tracing,
what struck me about RTX wasn’t necessarily how it looked when it was on, but how the game looks when you turn it off. Especially in the various train scenes, the game looks natural and well lit with RTX on, but when you turn it off after having it on for a period of time, it looks a bit strange and flat due to that unnatural fill light.

With ray traced reflections enabled, the differences are quite obvious. On ground surfaces, ray traced reflections are more striking than their screen space counterparts, as well as more accurate. They also show details that aren’t always visible in the frame, which naturally is impossible with screen space reflections. The bigger improvements are on window reflections, which are completely absent with ray tracing off, but quite striking with ray tracing enabled. Not only can you often see what’s behind you, but you can see yourself in the reflections

cheers to great new tech any real enthusiast would be stoked about, and shame on those naysayers who can't take off their brand loyal blinders and give props instead of whimpering like a pouty child. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

Mantle didnt fail at all.
They led the way for the industry to develop dx12 and vulkan which started its life as Mantle.
Mantle didn't die mate it evolved and continues to grow constantly.
AMD pushing support for it constantly.

18.10.1 WHQL
Added Vulkan™ Extension Support
VK_KHR_shader_atomic_int64
This extension advertises the SPIR-V Int64Atomics capability for Vulkan, which allows a shader to contain 64-bit atomic operations on signed and unsigned integers.
VK_KHR_driver_properties
This extension provides a new physical device query which allows retrieving information about the driver implementation, allowing applications to determine
which physical device corresponds to which particular vendor’s driver, and which conformance test suite version the driver implementation is compliant with.
SPV_GOOGLE_decorate_string
This extension provides two new instructions to decorate a variable or a struct member with a string.
SPV_GOOGLE_hlsl_functionality1
This extension provides two new decorations to extend HLSL functionality: HlslCounterBuffer and HlslSemantic.

18.11.2 Driver
Added Vulkan™ Extension Support
VK_AMD_memory_overalloation_behavior
This extension allows controlling whether explicit overallocation beyond the device memory heap sizes is allowed or not.

18.12.2 Driver
Added Vulkan Support
VK_EXT_inline_uniform_block
This extension introduces the ability to back uniform blocks directly with descriptor sets by storing inline uniform data within descriptor pool storage.
VK_KHR_swapchain_mutable_format
This extension enables processing of swapchain images as different formats to that used by the window system, which is particularly useful for switching between sRGB and linear RGB formats.
VK_EXT_scalar_block_layout
This extension enables C-like structure layout for uniform and storage buffers, allowing non-scalar types to be aligned solely based on the size of their components.
Sparse Support is Enabled
Sparse support relaxes the requirement to have memory allocated and bound to resources prior to being used. It also relaxes the requirement for the bound memory to be contiguous and for the memory bindings to be immutable.

19.6.2 Driver
VK_EXT_host_query_reset
Allows resets of queries from the host, rather than on the GPU.
VK_EXT_full_screen_exclusive
Gives applications explicit control over exclusive full-screen modes (this is for instance useful for HDR support).
VK_AMD_display_native_hdr
Exposes FreeSync2 capabilities for improved HDR support.
VK_EXT_separate_stencil_usage
Separates the usage flags for depth/stencil aspects of a depth/stencil image making it possible to restrict/expand the usage relative to the depth aspect.
VK_KHR_uniform_buffer_standard_layout
Provides more flexible alignment for uniform buffers, enabling among other things, the usage of std430 layouts in Vulkan.

VK_EXT_display_surface_counter
This extension defines a vertical blanking period counter associated with display surfaces. It provides a mechanism to query support for such a counter from a VkSurfaceKHR object
VK_AMD_pipeline_compiler_control
This extension provides a way to set per-pipeline compiler options, for instance, to relax rounding rules when working with mixed-precision floating point values.
VK_AMD_shader_core_properties2
This extension exposes additional, AMD specific shader core properties for a physical device
VK_EXT_subgroup_size_control
This extension provides additional control over subgroup size, allowing applications for instance to opt-in to different subgroup sizes on devices supporting more than just one.
VK_KHR_imageless_framebuffer
This extension allows framebuffers to be created without the need for creating images first, allowing more flexibility in how they are used, and avoiding the need for many of the compatibility rules.
VK_KHR_variable_pointers
This extension allows implementations to indicate their level of support for the SPV_KHR_variable_pointers SPIR-V extension. The SPIR-V extension allows shader modules to use invocation-private
pointers into uniform and/or storage buffers, where the pointer values can be dynamic and non-uniform. This release adds the optional VariablePointers support.

VK_AMD_device_coherent_memory
This extension adds device coherent and device uncached memory types. Device coherent and uncached memory
are expected to have lower performance for general access than non-device coherent memory but can be useful in
certain scenarios particularly so for debugging.
VK_EXT_calibrated_timestamps This extension provides an interface to query calibrated timestamps obtained quasi
simultaneously from two time domains such as host and device time domains.
VK_EXT_line_rasterization - This extension adds some line rasterization features that are commonly used in CAD
applications and that are supported in other APIs like OpenGL. These features include Bresenham-style line rasterization,
smooth rectangular lines (coverage to alpha) and stippled lines for all three line rasterization modes.
VK_EXT_shader_demote_to_helper_invocation - This extension adds Vulkan support for the SPV_EXT_demote_to_helper_invocation SPIR-V extension.
The SPIR-V extension provides a new instruction that allows shaders to "demote" a fragment shader invocation to behave like a helper invocation for its duration.
The demoted invocation will have no further side effects and will not output to the framebuffer but remains active and can
participate in computing derivatives and in subgroup operations. This is a better match for the "discard" instruction in HLSL.

VK_KHR_timeline_semaphore
This extension introduces a new semaphore type that uses an integer payload to identify a point in a timeline.
The extension supports querying the semaphore, host wait/signal operations, and device wait/signal operations.
VK_KHR_shader_clock
This extension allows a shader to query a real-time or monotonically incrementing counter at the subgroup level or across the device level.
VK_KHR_shader_subgroup_extended_types
This extension enables the nonuniform group operations in SPIR-V to support 8-bit integer,
16-bit integer, 64-bit integer, 16-bit floating-point, and vectors of these types.
VK_KHR_pipeline_executable_properties
This extension allows debugging and performance tools and applications in general to query properties and statistics about the pipeline compilation process.
VK_KHR_spirv_1_4
This extension allows the use of SPIR-V 1.4 shader modules, which in turn allows easier translation from high level languages into spirv.
VK_EXT_subgroup_size_control
This extension enables an implementation to control the subgroup size by allowing a varying subgroup size and also
specifying a required subgroup size. The optional feature to allow full compute subgroups is enabled.
Clustered Subgroup Operations
This feature bit allows invocations to perform cluster operations such as add, mul, min, max, and, or, xor among partitions of a subgroup.
The operations are only performed within the subgroup invocations within a partition.

When I have look at comparisons such as battlefield the normal reflections are jumping all over the place within the puddles but turning on rtx it all goes away.
It should of never been there in the first place, seemed to be they add problems that dont usually exist so they can appear to of fixed a problem. But a problem they created themselves.
Its never a comparison done using methods used today. They try to sell the tech making sure the alternative looks bad. Zero honesty and until they become honest im not interested.

RTX isnt Ray tracing. That is just the name Nvidia named their sdk library that utilises windows 10 ray tracing.
Its like stating Oculas Rift is VR when its just one companies take on the tech.

Well said, I never saw it like that. With a busy life I'm a little behind with the new tech these days.

Until the next gen consoles are released with Ray tracing support, the games list will continue to be crappy. It's just the way the industry is. So at the end of 2020, when they new consoles release, we'll have plenty of Ray tracing games! Also, rumors about Ampere are that it'll handle Ray tracing much more efficiently and without as big a performance hit. As such, RTX 2xxx series were just a big beta program for the real deal Ray tracing cards and the next gen Ray tracing games. :)

I gave myself until end of 2019 to see how well Ray Tracing will be adopted/supported and well, the results have been mixed. On one hand we have game devs promising Ray Tracing in their titles (Cyberpunk 2077 is a big one) and then we have titles that were 'revealed' to support RT/DLSS but have yet to happen (the original slide from the 20-series launch). I'm on a 1080 Ti and have been really happy with all year long (performance is around RTX 2080 in non-RTX titles). I'll either wait for the 30-series to upgrade or wait well into 2020 to see how RTX plays out. We also have unconfirmed info that PS5 will support Ray Tracing so that's good, and AMD GPU will support Ray Tracing.. I think we can thank Nvidia for pushing Ray Tracing out the door albeit prematurely.

Back