Top 10 Best MMOs

I’ve been playing LOTRO on and off since its original closed beta phase (I was a game journo at the time) and it’s been a love/hate relationship: loved everything up to and including Moria, hated everything about Rohan. Currently in an ambivalent phase where I want to get back into it again, but put off by the potential 956 PB update my install will invariably require. ?

Still can’t beat being a Took and skipping about The Shire though. Best way to RP it? Dance, sing, get blind drunk in a pub - then log out, while passed out on the floor.

No EverQuest? And how about MU Online? And Ultima Online!

And thank goodness Evony isn't on here... that game is like crack...

I believe this article is pertaining to the MMOs with current relevancy.

EQ and UO are still there... but they’ve been outshined by, well, World of Warcraft. That’s about it.

I miss UO 20 years ago though, damn good times at Brit bank trying to pawn off horses I hastily trained for 200gp to the first newbie who’d buy one.

Asheron’s Call should be in the top MMO’s (past relevancy) in my opinion as well. I would argue to say I have had the most fun in that (perhaps tied with WoW years back) than any other game.

All of them will be owned by Pantheon: Rise of the fallen. (First authentic MMORPG in development, in over 15 years.)

^

Just came off playing Elder Scrolls Online for almost 3 years. Simply just had enough. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but the most annoying thing about MMOs are that they are continuously changing attributes, DPS, very buggy, etc. Just had enough of it and decided to focus on all the single player gems I had been missing like Outer Worlds and Prey.

I played DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) for many years since right after release. The only MMO I ever have played. The lore is amazing. The puzzle solving and knowing which type of weapon/spell is needed in certain circumstances was awesome. You need to be prepared to enter a dungeon/area. I was addicted because it was so much fun. My fault, but it led to contributing to losing a job.
Sadly and tragically since they introduced the in-game store, DDO took a nose dive into the pavement. Now they encourage buying from the store with real money for cheats. The difficulty was amped up so there is a much higher chance people will buy cheats (mana, health, spells, etc etc). Last I played a few years back, there still was no way to ban all store items/buffs during gameplay. This took away all challenge. Add that with people cheating in the game and you can basically sprint through the game. They also made unique items super rare drops that also encouraged cheating. The game was crippled so bad I gave up on years of character development and fun. I also quit the game several times throughout the years because they would change major gameplay mechanics. This rendered your character a gimp and you have to grind out a new one. The next update and you again have to start over. Grinding is all there is left to do in the game now... SO aggravating.

Why I don't like and stay away from MMOs now? They pull the plug and all that money we spend on a membership is gone in an instant. Same thing with gaming clients like steam and others though. The digital world is crap. GoG is the only relief, but limited on selection. I wonder if they would honor owned games purchased through other gaming clients. I really doubt it.

No Warframe? I mean I GUESS it’s not totally MMO, but it’s great how seamless it transitions between single and multiplayer.

"In a previous version of this article we left out EVE Online, but it's better than ever in 2019-2020."

Uh, the entirety of the playerbase would like to have a word. The game is in a shambles and has never been more hostile to new players - highsec is infested with invincible NPCs that attack on sight. There is nothing to mine and almost nothing to explore because nearly half the players are bots. The devs have made it clear their only interested in milking the remaining whales until none are left.

I am amazed you included LOR because of it's years on content without saying the same thing of Star Trek Online. Which not only has 10 years of content but a large percent of the Star Trek voice actors thoughout the MMO. Something that LOR can't match or play too.

While it never had broad appeal in Nort America TERA deserves more than just a similar to ESO notation. Even now no mmo has equalled the fluidity and skill of its combat system (yes not even BDO). It has after all these years started down more of a pay to win model sadly but just from the combat mechanics its deserving of praise imho.

I believe this article is pertaining to the MMOs with current relevancy.

EQ and UO are still there... but they’ve been outshined by, well, World of Warcraft. That’s about it.

I miss UO 20 years ago though, damn good times at Brit bank trying to pawn off horses I hastily trained for 200gp to the first newbie who’d buy one.

Asheron’s Call should be in the top MMO’s (past relevancy) in my opinion as well. I would argue to say I have had the most fun in that (perhaps tied with WoW years back) than any other game.

+1 on Asheron's Call. Most fun I have ever had playing a MMO, albeit quite a long time ago. Nothing more painfully exhilarating than dying in a swamp knowing you are going to lose much of your hardfought gear and have to slink back to that spot and not get killed again, in order to recover said loot. It could be maddening but what an intense rush...

+1 on Asheron's Call. Most fun I have ever had playing a MMO, albeit quite a long time ago. Nothing more painfully exhilarating than dying in a swamp knowing you are going to lose much of your hardfought gear and have to slink back to that spot and not get killed again, in order to recover said loot. It could be maddening but what an intense rush...

Someone else who played!

Yes, it was maddeningly difficult a good portion of the time... but the game encouraged (almost required) teamwork, and AC was way ahead of it’s time on more than a handful of concepts.

Plus, if you loved PvP, that game will determine if you are an avid MMO PvPer.. these other games with safe zones don’t have **** on Darktide AC.

You mentioned that you can play and create your own music in LotRO but you forgot to say that you can do the same in FFXIV. It's not as easy but there is more variety of instruments. Also, the story writing is really something that most other MMOs do not have, for example the Hildibrand series of quests. On the other hand FFXIV does not have open world PvP so if someone enjoys that this is not the good game to play.

I've recently gotten into Guild Wars 2 after buying it years ago.
It's good and not that repetitive for an MMORPG. As RuneScape is my only considerable point of reference, it is annoying how you are quite locked down as to how your character progresses, but RuneScape is more of the exception there.

I will say my biggest peeve with it are the character designs. Many look cartoonish in a bad way and the way most females are portrayed... Seriously, I don't mind cleavage, lots of it even, here and there but when pretty much all female characters have that "waifu" look? No.
The storytelling is hit or miss too. Some is actually pretty good, but a lot is just lazy. I suppose RuneScape spoilt me in the case as well.

The only MMO I’ve ever played is a minecraft server called OurTown xD

Everyone knows the best mmo is worlds.com

Back