Trojan.Crypt.UZD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I was infected by this odious thing a few days ago. It popped up the rogue microsoft toolkit, asking me to fix errors (and pay $60 to do so!). What it also did, was prevent ALL programs from executing, including chrome and firefox (I think it still allowed me to use IE8 to a certain extent, although I'm not sure as I never use IE to access the internet).

I panicked and did a system restore using a system repair disk I created when I first bought my PC. I then downloaded spybot and adaware ( I already use AVG as my AV and didn't realise it had malware protection too - although it didn't seem to work on THIS occasion) and scanned my system. System scans turned up the trojan.crypt.uzd and I removed them using spybot/adaware/AVG.

Everything seemed to be fine until last night (2 days later) when the same trojan popped up and did exactly the same thing as before.

Once again, I did a sysyem restore, but this time, instead of downloading spybot and adaware, I googled for the trojan and found Techspot. I followed the 8 step guide and things look good so far. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46 now reports a clean system and I am hopeful that my system is cured.

So, the point of this post? First, to say thanks to the Techspot enthusiasts and professionals who put their time and effort into this site. Without people like you guys, us lesser mortals would be out of pocket and blubbering wrecks without your help.

Secondly, could anyone tell me why my system became infected? I've been using computers for many years and have always been careful to protect my systems using my limited knowledge and googling skills. This time the thing just pounced on me seemingly from nowhere. The second time it hit me (last night) was when I attempted to download a torrent of House episode 18 or 19 from torrentzap.com. I don't know if that was a coincidence, but until I am sure one way or another, I'm scared to download any more torrents.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jack

Welcome to TechSpot Jack. Sorry for the delay.

The second time it hit me (last night) was when I attempted to download a torrent of House episode 18 or 19 from torrentzap.com. I don't know if that was a coincidence

About 'torrents': P2P or 'file sharing.'

Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. We discourage using this type of program for the following reasons:
  • As long as you are using file sharing networks and programs which are from sources that are not documented, you cannot verity that a download is legitimate.
  • Malware writers use these program to include malicious content.
  • Fie sharing is usually unmonitored and there is a danger that your private files might be accessed.
  • The 'sharing' also includes malware that the shared system has on it.
  • Files that are illegal can be spread through file sharing.

Please read the information on P2P Warning to help you better understand these dangers.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet, please read Tony Klein´s guide:

"So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back