Two HDD with OS

TheCase

Hello,

My hard drive running windows XP on it started to fail so I got a new one and installed windows server 2008 as this machine is a server.

So now I have two hard drives running two operating systems.

I tried to format the old one and couldn't in windows so tryint to be clever I loaded up the OS disc and formatted the old one trough the OS setup and left my new one alone. Now I have sucessfully formatted my old HDD but now I cant boot from my new one and it says insert disc.

I put yet another hard drive and loaded an os from that and its ok and I can still see files on it so I can backup but why cant I boot windows on it?

Thank you.

Sounds to me like you've either deleted the new hard disk, or have killed the MBR on it.

I think I got rid of the MBR as I can still access the HDD with data on it, when plugged into another computer. Can I restore the MBR somehow?

You will need to boot from the OS you wish to keep (Server 2008 right?) using its setup CD, and then jump into a repair installation, and repair the MBR. The process should be automated for repair installation.

I tried this

bootrec /fixmbr. Operation successful
bootrec /fixboot . Element not found.
bootrec /rebuildbcd . Found C:/Windows promoted if I want to add installation to boot list when I type Y it says element not found.

No luck, any ideas

Thanks

Repairing it can be really quirky, I remember having to do the process twice in order to achieve the end result in the couple of times I've done it in the past.

I'll let others advise you of the best way forward with Server 2008, Linux is my thing really.

Its not too bad, its getting you're teeth sunk into learning it really - its not for everyone thats for sure, but those that do get on with it enjoy a freedom Windows users can only dream of.

Obviously some couldn't care less about that though. :haha:

Back