Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyZip

Hi...

After replacing my old Motherboard, CPU, Ram, Case and Power Supply with:-
GIgabyte 8INXP Motherboard
Intel Pentium 2.4Ghz
Generic Case
A 550W Power supply. (i dunno the make, i bought it at a Computer Fair supposedly "Good as Gold, Mate")

I found that when i switch the computer on, all the lights come on the case, fans start whirring etc then it does one of several things (seems totally random) :-
1> Nothing happens, Screen stays blank, No Start Up Beep...
2> Bios starts up, then hangs after identifing the CPU...
3> Bios starts up, then hangs when looking for the Hard Drives and CD-Writers etc...(it finds some, not others)
4> Bios starts up, after 10 - 30 seconds looking for Drives etc, it continues to load Windows and everythings fine...
5> Everythings loads normally...

After tearing my hair out and half the Computer, i thought it was probably the Power Supply. So i bought myself an ANTEC True Power 550W.
Admittedly it has helped a little, now i only have a problem about 40% of the time, instead of 60%...

I have also flashed the Bios to the latest version, as there was some problem with the Dual-phase Power System Daughterboard (on earlier Bios versions), but that hasnt helped...

Im lost as to what it might be, but im edging towards its something to do with the power supply getting through, as the newer Power Supply did seem to help a bit...

Any clues for the clueless???

Damn dude, wish I could help.. Random problems like this are rough. All I can suggest is removing the ram and cleaning the posts real good. Also, do the same for your video card. If you reboot the machine and it does nothing, the video card could be the culprit. Just clean the contacts real good, and make sure it's secure in the AGP port.

Since owning it from the beginning i've managed to solve every problem, including stability problems!

My final configuration was 3.33Ghz with memory bus of 190Mhz!

I've had my Gigabyte 8inxp since it came out, i have now hit a problem that i'm totally stumped on!

Now it seems my board won't start and just crashes imediatley i press the power, i've tried a new power supply but no luck!, occasionally after i leave it off for long enough it manages to boot into post but never got past it before crashing again!
My asumption is that i've worn out the board and looks like i'll be needing a new one!

But if you can still boot into yours then, just set agpx4 in the bios and set agp to x2 in the smartgart ati control panel for maximum stability! performance loss is unoticable for the stabilty gained, and never touch the setting again otherwise it'll probably end up like mine, then you'll be really screwed!
The problem seems to only affect radeon cards!

Providing all of your cabling is oriented properly, jumpers set properly, power connectors attached properly: Even though you have replaced with new parts, your problem is actually the Motherboard or CPU. If the MB is not receiving a signal, then there will be no beep codes from the BIOS. If the MB is fine but the CPU is not sending a signal, then your CPU may be defective, there also may not be any beep codes from the BIOS. What do you get, a blank screen! Even though your parts are new, there is no way of knowing if you properly grounded yourself from ESD (electrostatic discharge). If ESD was present, it is quite likely you damaged either your MB or CPU. Therefore, your troubleshooting starting point is the CPU first and MB second.

Just got a new motherboard the other day! the new one is way more stabler and faster, much more overclockable and overall better! i don't even know what so good about the 8inxp now!

I had a problem like this too a while back. when i would boot up, there would be no post sometimes and eventually, not ever. I replaced the PSu...nothing. I called a friend about it and he said to try taking the PCI NIC out of it (i know most people dont use them anymore, but this was an old p3 so i had no choice). When i did, it booted right up and has been running strong ever since. Well, as strong as a p3 can, anyway.

Back to the original problem: check that the CPU is fully seated in, that the heatsink is mounted the correct way (assume you used thermal paste) and that the extra P4 cable from your PSU is connected.
To me it seems that your CPU overheats at times because of poor contact with the heatsink.

Thanks for all the comments...

Ive checked the temperature, its fine...

The CPU and Heatsink are fine... (as far as i can tell)

Ive given up on the blasted thing.... Im just coping with it, until i get new one... Thx anyway...

What happens if you reseat your memory and graphics card, then take out all other PCI-cards and USB-stuff and disconnect all HDs and CDs etc.?
If you can start up, add the master HD and restart. If OK, next HD or CD and keep adding and rebooting as long as it is OK. Then add PCI-cards 1 at the time, then the USB-items.
Eventually you should come across the Hardware that screws up your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back