Upgrade to vista????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like vista

I've been runnig Vista that shipped with a new Gateway laptop I bought in Februaury of '06. I've had very little trouble with Vista and it has some nice new features. It's been my experiance in th past that it's better to just buy a new system with the new OS loaded already. Vista has some demanding hardware requirements and you could end up spending allot of extra money on upgrading memory and video. New systems are so cheap now it's just allot easier and less hassels.

I bought Vista Home Pr. when it first came out. Now it sits in a hard drive in my parts room. I don't recommend it. The machine I am using has XP Home and XP Pro x64 (evaluation version). Almost nothing works on Vista. You've got the best now.

I'm waiting out on SP1 or even SP2. Other then the visual enhancement there really isn't much of a difference. If your a gamer you should really stick with xp. All gaming benchmarks shows XP being alot faster then vista in the gaming department. Google it. Most are minisucle to as much as 30% performance difference in favor of xp. Again wait till sp1 or even sp2.

You know what, you can argue this all you want. The answer is going to ultimately be what user interface do you want to accept.

I guarentee you I can counter most if not all arguments you have for using XP by stating you can do the same thing in 2000 or 2000 with a freeware add on.

Vista isn't inherently evil, vista doesn't waste memory, vista isn't going to rape your mother, just get the damn OS if you want. If you are spring loaded to complain about vista, then stick with xp, us vista users don't care if you stick with xp or not.

caveat emptor. Personally, if it isn't broken, then don't fix it.

I suggest that you evaluate ANY upgrade based upon the cost/benefit of the change,
eg: what will you get in the upgrade that you don't have/can't get for your existing system?

how much 'change' are you willing to put up with?

I' a very conservative admin and even with my personal automobile I tend to keep
my resources (ie cars and system) until they need major repairs or just will not
perform adequately any more.

If you need the latest-greatest to make you feel good, then dive in :)

Again the facts are out there, right now there's no denial of Vista vs XP in the gaming department. XP just out performs vista in almost every category of gaming performance. Again google for it. SP1 and SP2 or most likely gonna fix many of vista problems but until then XP is the way to go for gaming.

EDIT: Latest update now shows that XP SP3 offers a nice performance boost and is now 2 times faster then vista on the same configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back