Upgrading my CPU from Celeron 1.7 to P4 2.4 (478 socket/533 FSB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to upgrade my CPU from a Celeron 1.7 to a P4 2.4. Is there anything I have to do to before the change out?

I've already made the switch, but now my computer will not boot up. According to my motherboard manual, it will support a P4 processor.

Sean

lowball said:
I've already made the switch, but now my computer will not boot up. According to my motherboard manual, it will support a P4 processor.

Make sure they are the same bus speed, but if they are, did you put the heatsink on properly, or better yet, is that heatsink rated for a 2.4 p4? Did yoiu use thermal paste?

Sean

I think the 1.7 would be a 400fsb and the 2.4 would be 533. Even if the board didn't support the 533 bus, it should still boot it at the 400 bus and then the cpu would run as a 1.8ghz. Did any pins get bent when installing the cpu? Is it installed all the way in the socket/correct orientation? Any beeps on startup?

vnf4ultra said:
I think the 1.7 would be a 400fsb and the 2.4 would be 533. Even if the board didn't support the 533 bus, it should still boot it at the 400 bus and then the cpu would run as a 1.8ghz. Did any pins get bent when installing the cpu? Is it installed all the way in the socket/correct orientation? Any beeps on startup?

Thanks now i know something new :) I was just throwing what ever i could out there.

Having the same type problem. Trying to put a celeron D 2.4/533fsb into an ASUS p4s800-mx. Old processor still boots ok(2.0/400fsb) and board is rated up to 800. No bent pins and seated properly but won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back