Using multiple modems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast_

I have a cable ISP for my cable internet. They've supplied me with only one cable modem, which I use to directly connect to the internet for one computer. My roommate also has a computer, which he brought another cable modem home one day. He has a television in his room, which runs on cable. He plugged in that cable to that cable modem and he gets free internet access. Would this be considered stealing from our isp? Because we have everything under them (cable internet, tv, etc.). Would it be technically stealing if we're using a tv cable (we're also paying them for the tv bill). And does this slow down my modem in a way? BEcause we are under the same household.

I want to know the legal matters before I consider allowing him to do it again.

Beast_ said:
Because we have everything under them (cable internet, tv, etc..... And does this slow down my modem in a way?
Official advice HERE more advice HERE The best thing to do,is to ask your provider.

The internet bandwidth is fixed,so the more people using it at one time,the slower
service each will receive.If you and your room mate can avoid downloading
large video files at the same time,there should not be any problem with that.

it's the same effect as splitting a cable to put cable tv in a different room....

now some jurisdictions have a limit.... especially if you live in a dorm, apartment complex, etc....

As long as the main trunk is being paid for, I wouldn't worry if there is only one or 2 splices. More than that and I think you're required to pay.

Beast_ said:
...he brought another cable modem home one day. He has a television in his room, which runs on cable. He plugged in that cable to that cable modem and he gets free internet access
LUCKY YOU! Your ISP is lax in the setup as most provision the modem MAC address from the central site and this would have stopped it from working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back