Various BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, this is my first time posting on this forum looking for help, here's the situation.

i upgraded my system last oct. everything was perfect, running fast and great until early this spring. first i got the BSOD on ocasion, then i would get the DRAM failed, reverting back to slower speeds with dual channel and more bsod's. I ran memtest86 all passed so I swapped out my 2 sticks of ram with my friends and still the same bsod. I unplug 1 stick and low and behold the bsod's went away and the ram was running at the proper speeds... i figured it was a mobo issue? Now, i ran with 1 stick for a few months until now... the dreaded bsod returned, to a point where once my computer crashed and would not boot into windows. i let it sit for a few days and planned on getting RMAs for the mobo. All of a sudden the system ran again after a few days flawlessly on the 1 stick of ram.... A few more weeks pass and i again get the bsod and my network card wouldnt work... no virus, good memtest, nothing. One lovely day the bsod kept rebooting my computer to a point where my HDD lost its partition and ALL my files. great! luckily i backed up all of it. Fed up, i went out to buy a new mobo and upgraded my HDD as well. Installed everything and low and behold, more bsod's to fuel my angst and hate... but this time it was a different bsod, i would get "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", "page_fault_in_nonpage_area" and some "classpnp.sys-address B8108C20 base at B810800, datestamp 48023C05". After i did a bios update on the new mobo, i stopped getting irql bosd but still the other 2

usually bsod would occur at system startup now. and no particular reason. Not under heavy load etc etc. I ran Prime95 for 6hours no problem after the new install and parts. I've attached my minidumps and here's my system config. PLEASE HELP!!

WinxpPro SP3
AMD x2 5000+ cpu
Gigabyte MA770-UD3 (new)
XFX GeForce 9800GT
OCZ gold XTC DDR2 4gb PC2-6400 ram
WB 1TB caviar HDD (new)
Thermaltake Purepower 420W psu

One error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are particularly a strong indicator of corrupted memory. Sometimes they can be caused by drivers.

In this dump it cited the Windows OS driver NDIS.sys. Usually OS drivers are too general to be of any help but in your case it may be more specific: When you change the IPX frame type for your network connection from Auto Detect to any other IPX frame type, you may receive a "STOP 0x0000001D" or "STOP 0x000000A" Stop error that occurs in Ndis.sys.

Also, see this link: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-466431.php

Two of your errors are 0xA and these are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level that they shouldn't. One simply said your probable cause is hardware but the other specifically cited corrupted memory.

Your remaining error is 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

This one specifically cited corrupted memory. So...

1. Bad RAM has been known to on occasion pass Memtest. I would run Memtest one stick at a time -- again.

2. Make sure your RAM is compatible (recommended) for your motherboard by the manufacturer.

3. Go to your BIOS and check the voltage setting of your RAM and compare it to the manufacturer's specs, i.e., let's say the RAM is designed for 1.8v; is this what your motherboard has set it at? We have seen a lot of memory problems due to faulty voltage settings.

4. It could be your video card RAM but right now this is only a possibility.

awesome! thnx for the quick and detailed response! i will do some more memtests when i get home. maybe just pick up a set of new sticks since they're fairly cheap atm and rma these if thats the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back