Vista - blue screen of death and rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael_l

Hi,
ive had my computer for 6 months, and now its keeps rebooting every 1-2days. These reboots can be in the middle of using the internet, running a virus scan, or doing nothing at all.
When the computer crashes i get the blue screen with "bad_pool_caller", but this only stays on for a second, then it proceeds to reboot. (the next time it should stay up longer, ive disabled the reboot option). After the resart vista gives me info on the crash, which i will post with the dump files.

Memoray and chkdsk come up fine, with no errors. The computer clean and not overheating. Any help on why this keeps happening would be greatly appreciated. This has happened 3 times in the past 3 days, but i only got the crash info twice (sry), but ive got 4dmp files - no idea why but there all posted.

I'm running vista home premium, with 2GB Ram, and duel core processor. I have nvidia gefore 7500 LE, with kaspersky internete security and a usb wireless g network adaptor for the internet. (Compaq Presario SR2125UK)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 820752B1
BCP3: 8DA75AAC
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini012108-02.dmp
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-58484-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\WER80C3.tmp.version.txt

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 0000000D
BCP2: 85EC90E0
BCP3: 20707249
BCP4: 01000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini012108-03.dmp
C:\Windows\Temp\WER-30950-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Windows\Temp\WER5668.tmp.version.txt

Thanks for any help, kind regards,
-Mik.

ummm, im unsure- how would i tell?
ps now my computer wont load :( i can switch the computer on, and it loads then a blank screen. i dont know if this is connected, but any ideas would be greatful.
Many Thanks,
-Mik

hi,
ive got another bluescreen, with the error this time.

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001904AB, 0X9942C8FC, 0X9942C5F8, 0X821BE00)

i can only get the computer started in safe mode, as the error happens whenever i swith the computer on and boot as normal.
i will try a system restore, and attach the dmp files later.

Mik

sry, im a complete noob. would that be RAM, cus ive had some ram put in (1GB)
though a professional recommended it and installed it, and tested it (or so he said - i dont the tech guys! )

Shouldi take the ram/pc back, and argue the case, or wait and see if its a diffrent error?

Many thanks,
Mik

If you can get the computer to run long enough, download the free Memtest86 and run it for four hours or seven passes. That will verify whether it is a memory problem.
The fact that the problem does not occur in safe mode implies that it is some sort of software issue or perhaps an infestation. You might want to download the latest edition of Hi Jack This, and post the results to the experts on this forum.
It could also be something simple, like a memory module that needs to be reseated, and other possibilities such as inadequate (or too much) thermal past between the cpu and heatsink, a defective driver, and so on. Trouble shooting sometimes takes a long time.
Reseat all your cables and memory modules, carefully, then go to your Device Manager (Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager) and look for any red or yellow flags.
You can also take a look at the event viewer (Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Event Viewer, and look for significant red or yellow flags in those lists that are repeated at about the same time you get the errors, which are actually memory dumps.
You may have a video graphics card driver error, so download the latest one and replace the one now installed.
This is only a partial list.
Good luck. Let us know what you learn.

hi, this is just an update:
im running memtest now, but my comp came with it s own diagnostics tool which i ran - came back:
HDD - fine,
RAM - fine
Processors - fine

No flags in device manager (though i unistalled any extra stuff - usb wireless stuff - nothing important)
uninstalled/reinstalled graphic drivers
Event viewer wont work (had it on once but some vista error makes it impossible)
Chkdsk /r came back clean/no errors,
boot fix - no errors

im still trying, but i think it may have to go back to the people who installed the ram and get them to check it out :( oh well, at least i wont need to pay if its their fault.

thanks for all your help so far, its greatly appreciated,
mik

(ps one question if the ram was in conflict, but working would the memoray test come back ok? sry if this is confusing)

What kimsland said. I had to replace my RAM because I was experiencing what you are: Crashes before even it booted fully and then reboot.

MemTest is a great test but it is not perfect. Let it run for a minimum of 7 to 10 passes. This takes a long time. If you get errors you have corrupted memory (RAM) and then if you have more than one stick of RAM you should run this test on each individual stick.

thanks. i ran memtest no erros.
Took it to the "professional" who installed the ram, but he said the ram was fine, and so was the HDD, Ram Processors etc..

He found out that windows was "corrupt", some of the files had become unstable = no load.

I think i know what casued this (stupid intel viiv and its software!) but i cant be sure.

ive just reinstlled vista, and the computers fine (again, and fingers crossed it stays like this). i forgot how much i hated user account control, till it just came on! lol oh well,

Thanks for all ya help, take care,
mik

Glad to hear it worked out for you and we really appreciate it when resolved issues are posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back