Vizio and Xiaomi launch 4K 120Hz OLED TVs that start at $1,299

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Xiaomi is well-known for its ability to make cheaper alternatives to the most popular consumer products, including smart TVs. The latest to come out of its labs is a 4K 120 Hz OLED TV that's designed to cater to both cinefiles and gamers.

Back in January, when Vizio first unveiled its first OLED TVs, everyone got excited at the prospect of finally being able to replace their ageing LCD TV with an affordable OLED one. It didn't take long for Xiaomi to bring its own offering to the table, after years of making cheaper alternatives for Samsung, Sony, and LG LED TVs.

Both companies use 10-bit 4K OLED display panels from LG that's similar to what the latter company uses in its 2020 lineup. This means that they, too, offer 120 Hz refresh rate with support for FreeSync, as well as HDMI 2.1 ports with eARC - both of which are essential if you're on the lookout for a next generation console like the Xbox Series X or the PlayStation 5.

It's worth noting that these TV panels are supposed to cover 98.5 percent of the DCI-P3 color space, which would make them quite decent for some professional image and video work. Xiaomi and Vizio both claim support for multiple HDR formats such as HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision.

The most important point of these new TVs is their price, which is finally approaching more sane levels. Vizio's 55-inch and 65-inch OLED TVs will set you back $1,299 and $1,999, respectively, and the company says they'll arrive in the US sometime this fall.

Xiaomi only has a 65-inch model for now that carries a price tag of around $1,839 and is available in China starting today. It will most likely get imported into other regions such as Europe and the Middle East in the coming months, with no word on US availability.

Permalink to story.

I didn't jump on board the OLED train, I didn't think any of the existing consoles were worth the investment. 4K sometimes, HDR sometimes, 30FPS most of the time. Broadcast not up to snuff yet, it's always 5-10 years behind display technology for content. Streaming much better, but the bit rates need to be pretty high. My area is limited to 75mbps or thereabouts.

I think now we're on the cusp of genuinely capable 4K consoles I am much more interested in upgrades. It's a situation where you definitely won't see the best of the next gen consoles without 4K and a quality HDR panel.

I see the latest Panasonic models outstrip LG's efforts, despite obviously sourcing the panel itself from LG. Not cheap, but I'll invest in something that will last at least the length of a console generation. Perhaps next year will be a good time when this is all in full flow.

I didn't jump on board the OLED train, I didn't think any of the existing consoles were worth the investment. 4K sometimes, HDR sometimes, 30FPS most of the time.

As primarily a PC gamer myself I can say even PS4 Pro games like Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us Part 2, Shadow of the Colossus and such with 4k checker boarding with HDR implementation looks absolutely incredibly good on my 4 LG OLED TV.

The colors, contrast, and infinite black is leaps and bounds above everything else even when watching/playing sources that are not native 4k.

As primarily a PC gamer myself I can say even PS4 Pro games like Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us Part 2, Shadow of the Colossus and such with 4k checker boarding with HDR implementation looks absolutely incredibly good on my 4 LG OLED TV.

The colors, contrast, and infinite black is leaps and bounds above everything else even when watching/playing sources that are not native 4k.

They look good on a quality panel but with mostly low framerates and cut down resolution they fall short of the ultimate 4K experience in my view. Newer titles have good HDR, even ones a couple years ago fall pretty short though. Technical show cases like RDR2 included, even post patch. It should all be standard next gen.

I have played a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X on an LG C9 for a while and was happy that it was an improvement over an older Samsung 4K set. I still saw the limiting factor lay with the console hardware.

I'm also fairly confident games like TLOU2 are only going to end up with boosted visuals and framerates once PS5 arrives, it seems inevitable. I found much more enjoyment playing TLOU on PS4 Pro than on PS3 for example, the game was massively superior. I didn't finish it on PS3 but really enjoyed my time with it at 60FPS on PS4.

I have been playing PS3 games recently since I refurbished an old fat machine, and it is a bit difficult going back to some of these games because their performance level is so low. No wonder a large proportion of them ended up with PS4 upgrades a few years later.

The best thing I heard was Microsoft implementing HDR in older titles. That would definitely be worth an upgrade to a higher end TV if it works well.

Am I the only one here that bought an OLED for...TV? I love watching Netflix, Prime, and Disney+ on my LG B8 OLED, it is absolutely gorgeous in 4k!!! All the Marvel movies are in 4k on Disney+, they look incredible!

For gaming, I got an Alienware 3420DW wide-screen monitor, its the top of the line Nano-ips monitor PC monitor, but truth be told it doesn't come near the LG OLED for movies/TV or even gaming. The colors on the OLED are 2nd to none.

Am I the only one here that bought an OLED for...TV? I love watching Netflix, Prime, and Disney+ on my LG B8 OLED, it is absolutely gorgeous in 4k!!! All the Marvel movies are in 4k on Disney+, they look incredible!

For gaming, I got an Alienware 3420DW wide-screen monitor, its the top of the line Nano-ips monitor PC monitor, but truth be told it doesn't come near the LG OLED for movies/TV or even gaming. The colors on the OLED are 2nd to none.
You might be the only one here that did but on rtings and the like it seems to be mostly movie watchers. Personally I find 4K HDR movies underwhelming but am blown away by games on my B9 OLED. The only tv content that I find really lets these TV's shine is nature footage, like Blue Planet.

Sorry, not much of a tech person, but for movie purposes, just wondering what some opinions might be for Samsung's HDR 10+ which is free to the manufacturers vs. Dolby Vision which requires a licencing fee? Will Samsung cave and include Dolby or will others include 10+? I know some include both, but not all are bringing both to the party.

Sorry, not much of a tech person, but for movie purposes, just wondering what some opinions might be for Samsung's HDR 10+ which is free to the manufacturers vs. Dolby Vision which requires a licencing fee? Will Samsung cave and include Dolby or will others include 10+? I know some include both, but not all are bringing both to the party.
Just don't want to commit big $$ thinking back to the Blu Ray battle...

I am not sure I would go with either of these. LG's 55" B9 lists for $1,299 so would it make sense to go with the Vizio? I honestly do not know, but with Vizio having a history of problems with their sets, I think I would likely choose the LG over the Vizio.

I am nursing a 50" LG plasma for a while longer until 65" OLEDs come down under $1K. Every year, LG's OLED prices drop.

With printed OLED production technology coming soon, I have to imagine that prices are going to come down quite a bit more in the next few years.

I can say that I saw LG's OLED offerings side-by-side with Samsung QLEDs in a local Best Buy not too long ago, and the OLEDs put, IMO, everything else in the store to shame including the QLEDs. They are absolutely stunning, and I cannot imagine how good they would look if they were calibrated.

I will be happy when I can get a decent 32" 120hz 4k IPS for the desktop that doesn't cost $10000000

Not at all impressed by the price. I jumped into oled relatively early. Bought a 65" LG EF9500 new on Ebay for $2200 in 12/2016. Dated by today's standard but was cutting edge back then. The problem is that all the manufacturers use LG's panels. No competition yet.

Back