VW "sold out" of electric vehicles in the US and Europe for the remainder of 2022

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: American and European shoppers interested in buying a new electric vehicle under the Volkswagen banner will have to wait until next year at the earliest to do so as demand has outpaced supply in two keys markets.

Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess told the Financial Times (paywalled, via EuroNews) that they are basically sold out of electric vehicles in the aforementioned regions. "And in China, it's really picking up," Diess added.

Volkswagen is the parent company of several well-known automotive brands including Porsche and Audi as well as Czech manufacturer Škoda Auto.

The publication's report notes Volkswagen delivered 99,000 EVs globally in Q1 2022. For comparison, Tesla in its most recent earnings report said it delivered 310,048 vehicles in the first quarter of this year.

Diess said Volkswagen has a backlog of around 300,000 orders for electric vehicles in Western Europe alone.

EVs – and new vehicles in general – have been somewhat tough to come by as of late due to pandemic-induced supply chain issues and chip shortages. Some automakers, however, aren't waiting around for conditions to improve.

Ford, for example, decided to go ahead and ship select models with missing components and a promise to install them at a later date once they become more readily available. BMW, meanwhile, opted to deliver select models without touchscreen functionality on the infotainment system and refunded buyers for the missing feature.

Permalink to story.

Don't be fooled by this... all automakers are sold out of almost EVERY car... not just electric...

Almost no car companies have any inventory - give it a year or 2 and we'll see how electric really does...
Fooled? The charts don't lie. EV sales boom across the globe. And have been for the past 2 years. Check out CleanTechnica sales articles. It's growing steadily and rapidly. In the EU, in China, in North America.

Fooled? The charts don't lie. EV sales boom across the globe. And have been for the past 2 years. Check out CleanTechnica sales articles. It's growing steadily and rapidly. In the EU, in China, in North America.
Car companies are clearly selling more EVs - but the demand for "regular" cars still far outstrips them. This article makes it seem like people want electric more than "regular" - and that simply isn't true.

Electric cars have more silicon chips in them than ICE cars typically and the chip shortage followed by the skyrocketing of gas prices prior to - and post Russia's flattening of Ukraine are to blame. Everyone is sold out of the choice models of cars in general and the new EV models.

I'm tired of driving a gas guzzling SRT and Mercedes S-class. My next car is definitely gonna be EV.

I'm just waiting to see what Chrysler/Dodge creates.

As a habit, I drive every single new EV to make a Youtube video.
I was pleasantly surprised by the VW !D4. It wasn't terribly fast, but it was spacious and comfortable. Good enough to drive around here in NYC/ Manhattan traffic.

Downsides: Didn't have cooled/ventilated seats and the window buttons were ridiculous. IT's always better when an automaker takes their regular familiar control interfaces and includes them in their premiere EV. That's part of the reason many people don't like Teslas. Too cheap and not enough system redundancy for hard buttons.

Thus far, I've driven all new EV and I think KIA EV6 and Hyundai Ionic 5 rule the roost. The ID4 and MachE are a good 2nd choice.

I was pleasantly surprised by the VW !D4. It wasn't terribly fast, but it was spacious and comfortable. Good enough to drive around here in NYC/ Manhattan traffic.

Downsides: Didn't have cooled/ventilated seats and the window buttons were ridiculous. IT's always better when an automaker takes their regular familiar control interfaces and includes them in their premiere EV. That's part of the reason many people don't like Teslas. Too cheap and not enough system redundancy for hard buttons.

Thus far, I've driven all new EV and I think KIA EV6 and Hyundai Ionic 5 rule the roost. The ID4 and MachE are a good 2nd choice.
Finally found and subscribed to your channel! It was painfully simple to find, idk why I didn't see it before.

I'm sure "plans" to ban ICE vehicles in the future has nothing to do with people opting for EVs.

Don't be fooled by this... all automakers are sold out of almost EVERY car... not just electric...

Almost no car companies have any inventory - give it a year or 2 and we'll see how electric really does...
Its real easy to "sell out" from "high demand" when only a tiny sliver of your production is EVs.
Going from 5 to 10 is technically a 100% increase, but in a market of 1,000,000 a month it's still a drop in the bucket. Given that gas vehicles were also selling record numbers until the pandemic started and everything is in short supply right now "growing sales" really dont mean anything.

You should look at the Jaguar I-Pace.

I'm tired of driving a gas guzzling SRT and Mercedes S-class. My next car is definitely gonna be EV.

I'm just waiting to see what Chrysler/Dodge creates.

You used to be anti EV if I remember - so if someone like you turns around that's good - no disrespect intended .
I'll still drive my Toyota Corolla 96 into the ground a get an EV when cheap.

NZ buys Japanese castoffs - left side of road and all that - often these imported cars only 10-20k on clock . Pre-Covid those that bought Nissan Leafs for USD$8000 to $12000 2nd hand pretty smug now - great run around cars for cities - easy to park etc - I think 98% ownership satisfaction - most go way beyond quoted battery life
Just had to get cigarette smell out of some Japanese cars - how do they live so long - plus high salt intake - lots white rice and not overweight - It must be all the pluses elsewhere

Its real easy to "sell out" from "high demand" when only a tiny sliver of your production is EVs.
200,000 Ford F-150 Lightning trucks sold out in 6 weeks.
That's more total sales than the Camaro the last 4 years (150,000).
And almost as much as the Mustang the last 3 years (210,000).

And any of us can go to our local dealers and get one of each.
Going from 5 to 10 is technically a 100% increase, but in a market of 1,000,000 a month it's still a drop in the bucket.
900,000 F-150 smokers sold in 2019 (pre-pandemic). What percentage of Lightnings\Smokers is that?

Still impossible to get a Mach-e too.

The electric wave is upon us ..... time to put a For Sale sign on your old gas guzzler ....

You used to be anti EV if I remember - so if someone like you turns around that's good - no disrespect intended .
I'll still drive my Toyota Corolla 96 into the ground a get an EV when cheap.

NZ buys Japanese castoffs - left side of road and all that - often these imported cars only 10-20k on clock . Pre-Covid those that bought Nissan Leafs for USD$8000 to $12000 2nd hand pretty smug now - great run around cars for cities - easy to park etc - I think 98% ownership satisfaction - most go way beyond quoted battery life
Just had to get cigarette smell out of some Japanese cars - how do they live so long - plus high salt intake - lots white rice and not overweight - It must be all the pluses elsewhere

The first EV I drove was a Tesla. It's easy to get turned off by the first generation of tesla Model S.

Back then there were no home chargers (2012).
Back then I was happy in a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT with a 6.4-L Hemi.
I followed up with a Charger Hellcat.

It's easy to not like EV when you drive muscle cars. You feel threatened.

You become a Malthusian Luddite.

If the first EV I drove was the Kia EV6, I'd have been a believer instantly.

I went with a slighlty used gasoline car this time after four years with diesel.
The EVs are just too expensive for my taste and a new EV would be worse for the environment for years before it could out-green a used gas-driven car du to production of batteries.

I went with a slighlty used gasoline car this time after four years with diesel.
The EVs are just too expensive for my taste and a new EV would be worse for the environment for years before it could out-green a used gas-driven car du to production of batteries.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back