Weekend Open Forum: What's the story behind your username?

midian182

Staff member

Many people have the same username across multiple online accounts and forums, but have you ever wondered what some of them mean? For every Pepe_lover93, Dr.Sausage, and ChodeMaster9000, there’s an online handle with a story behind it. What’s yours?

For this weekend open forum, we want to know why you chose your username(s). Have you gone for the humorous option? Perhaps, like me, you’ve been using the internet for a while and still have a “legacy” handle—are you a ChandlerBing01, or a LimpBizkitGod? Maybe it’s part of your name. Or it could just be a line of meaningless garbage you came up with and find easy to remember.

I’ll put aside feelings of humiliation to explain my own username—Midian182. It’s one I’ve used since the early 2000s when I was much younger and less prone to embarrassment. Thanks to my love of all things horror, the first part comes from the Clive Barker novel Cabal, which was turned into the 1990 movie Nightbreed. Sadly, that name alone was usually already taken by other lonely men, so as a then fan of pop-punk group Blink 182, I decided to add those three extra numbers to ‘Midian.’ I’d like to reiterate that I was quite young, though that’s no excuse as to why I never changed it.

Now I’ve shared that, please feel free to do the same in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

I took my Nickname "Panda" at the time and added my birth month and day to the end. Initially the Panda nickname was supposed to be offensive but I loved it. I don't care if people were calling me it cause I was antisocial and preferred to do my own thing.

I'm curious Rob are you no longer a Blink fan? If not WHY?

I have had 2 usernames, HI C 99 and Blue Dragon. the first one was when I first got a xbox 360 and was asked to make a username, I tried to come up with something uncommon. The second , the one I use now, is because I love dragons,Why else?

My user name has no meaning at all, I just pulled it out of the air because I'm good at making up names. Over the years I've helped a number of fanfic and role-playing types who needed just the right sound for a character. Years later, however, a Greek fellow told me that in his language "psycros" pretty much described my personality at the time: "ice cold". I like to think I've moved beyond that anti-social phase of my life. At least a bit.

Last edited:
Rather long story, sorry. Back in 2010, here in Brazil, when I built my first pc, the price of games was so prohibitive it was inconceivable to buy them legally. Steam wasn't a thing here yet, there were no regional prices and they only accepted international credit cards, which I didn't have. The road to Brazilian gaming culture was paved on piracy and I was no different. The consoles weren't released here, let alone the games. If you wanted to game legally , you had to import both the console and the games. Which no one did. Thus, I had pirated every single game I ever played until then, but I was never comfortable and felt very ashamed of it. One day, my room mate saw me playing an unreleased game, the following conversation ensued:
- "this game is not supposed to be out for the next 7 days, how the hell are you playing it?"
- "I'm a beta tester"
-"beta tester my ***... you're an alpha gamer!"

*just so you know, playstation 2 was released here in 2009

I use this name whenever we go to strip clubs in Asia before. So many memories with it so why not use it to Techspot and make a difference.

Back in the early days of AOL (maybe 1994) I joined a group on the chat rooms called LNC (Late Night Crew). We ran a gaming channel there and Papa is part of my real name so I've been using it ever since. There were lots of us LNC people there but it was so long ago I only know of 2 who still exist other than myself.

The "Mc" is from my last name and "borg" because I'm a trekkie and I have a metal plate above my left eye like 7of9 does, although mine is covered by skin. The "e" on the end is because "mcborg" was already taken on steam.

My first name and country sign. Boring, I know, but easy to remember and accurate.

For gaming I usually use Soulcat because it was my DJ name on local radio in the 90's playing late night soft music mainly from Vinyl and Carts, if anyone remember those.

This is not my first account on techspot. I forgot my first username and the email associated with it.

my current username, misor, is a contraction of the province where I currently reside in the Philippines: MISamis ORiental

I was 18 years old at the time and I needed an account for ebay I believe. Dr Dre's song "Forgot About Dr Dre" was popular and eminem says "Jibberish" in one verse. So I put two together Jibberish-18. Its stuck every since then.

Heavens knows. It's was just a brain fart. Why I never used my normal nick which I've used for many years, Infidel Gastro or infidelgastro, a slur on Cuba's dictators name Fidel Castro, and has been my Google user name since about 2003, I'll never know.

Last edited:
Back