Weird Display Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

From my understand I have only 1 NIC, but when I type in ipconfig -all there seem to be more... can you guyz explain

cmdyv7.jpg

There's probably some software installed on your computer that has created a 'Virtual networking interface' so you can access a IPv6 network on an IPv4 client. This might be your ISP? I'm not aware of any ISPs that have started using it though. :)

Here's more info on what 'Teredo Tunneling' is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling
  • A Teredo client is a host which has IPv4 connectivity to the internet from behind a NAT and uses the Teredo tunneling protocol to access the IPv6 Internet. Teredo clients are assigned an IPv6 address that starts with the Teredo prefix (2001:0000::/32).
  • A Teredo server is a well-known host which is used for initial configuration of a Teredo tunnel. A Teredo server never forwards any traffic for the client (apart from IPv6 pings), and has therefore very modest bandwidth requirements (a few thousand bytes per minute per client at most), which allows a single server to support large numbers of clients. Additionally, a Teredo server can be implemented in a fully stateless manner.

I have a similar thing in Vista. I don't think I've ever looked through ipconfig at it, but I go from 2 or 3 to around 20 according to the darkengine script for mIRC when I switch from XP to Vista, even though its identical hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back