When trying to play any games pc reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkblot

I have a new pc, motherboard ASRock eSATAII+1394 I/O, 2 gig of RAM, Graphic Card ATI X1950 XTX, 550 Watts power supply, pc running around 29 - 30 Celsius. Any game I install will not run for more than 30 seconds before the pc reboots. I have unchecked "automatically restart" under "system failure", but that hasn't made one iota of difference, the pc does not show the blue screen with a message. Any ideas anyone please?

That could be caused by any of a huge number of things!!!!

Please list what you have already tried\ checked!!!!!!!

Have completely wiped my hard drive in case of old ATI drivers, reinstalled Windows XP, tried closing down one of my dual cores, reinstalled the latest ATI drivers, reduced sound hardware acceleration, tried Selective Startup. Removed my electric surge master, removed my HP officejet, as well as the previous items mentioned earlier.

Ok, first of all, make sure your ram is good!!
Google and get memtest and run it for 8 passes!!!!!

Post back when you have tested it!!!!

Have tried your memtest, but unfortunately the fact that I have 2 gig of ram obviously causes that software a problem, as it tells me I have over 1560 and is unable to test it.

I tested 768 megabytes of my ram and at 161% there were nil errors. Not sure where the 8 passes come in, perhaps I am running a different memtest to the one you mentioned. To try one stick at a time, please explain in simple language so I can understand please.

If you have 2 gig of ram they are probably 2 1gig sticks or less likley 4 512's.

You need to test each stick by itself really!!!!

sorry, not intentionally being pedantic, but do you infer that I should remove each of those sticks and run the test just replacing one each time before I run the test?

Well you didn't get back to me, so I decided to check things out myself. I have two sticks of DDR ram, Frequency 134.1 Mhz, FSB:DRAM CPU/18, CAS#Latency 2.5 clocks, RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 clocks, RAS# Precharge 3 clocks, Cycle Time (Tras) 7 clocks, Bank Cycle Time (Trc) 10 clocks, Command Rate 2T, DRAM idle Timer 16 Clocks. Slot #1 - Module Size 1024 Mbytes, Correction None, Max Bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz), Registered No, Manufacturer Nanya Technology, Buffered No, Part Number M2U1G64DS8HB1G-5T, EPP No, Serial Number 92211909, Manufacturing Date Week 39 Year 06.
Timing Table -
Frequency 166 MHz 200 MHz
CAS# Latency 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
Tras 7 8

Hope that answers your question. Slot #2 is idential to Slot #1 except the serial number is different.

Yes I downloaded it from that url, but found it would not accept anything over 768. So I used CPU-Z from which I have given the information supplied previously.

CPU-Z only gives information, you need to test both sticks of ram, one at a time, as thoroughly as you can with memtest!!!!

Never having used MemTest I'm not sure what results I am expected to see? However, having removed one stick of 1024 Megabytes, I started running MemTest. After 30 minutes, I still only see the square brackets with the slash moving left and right and still showing 0.0% Coverage, 0 Errors! Is this normal or should there be some percentage of coverage? Machine appears to be running extremely slow while this MemTest is on!

You're supposed to leave the machine on for around 2-3 hours and let memtest run on one stick. Repeat for the other one. Oh, and it's supposed to be quite slow, hence the recommended time is in hours instead of minutes. If it shows any errors, then ur RAM is definitely bad.

Thanks guys for your assistance on this MemTest.
Finally figured out how it works, doesn't like 1024 for some reason, so used the default 'available free ram' and tested each strip over a period of five hours.
Reached 750% on both strips with zero errors. So it looks like the ram I have isn't my problem. Back to the drawing boards guys!

At least you have now eliminated ram as a possible cause!!!!

So perhaps it's a driver issue?!?!

Is your graphics card new? If so, did you remove the driver and all applications for your previous card????

Yes, graphics card is brand new, ATI Radeon X1950 XTX 512Mb. Completely wiped the hard drive, reinstalled Windows XP Home. Telephoned ATI who told me to wait about two hours as a new driver was coming out for my card, it was that new! Downloaded and installed it was soon as it appeared, but that didn't make any difference either.

Currently running Hot CPU Tester Pro 4, after eight runs it is showing no errors.

What make is your psu???

And have you tried running your system with the side panel off to see if its a gpu heat problem???

yes have run the pc with the side off and there doesn't seem to be any heat problems as far as I can tell. Power Supply: Colors IT 550Watts.

Yes I have tried running my system with the side panel off, there didn't seem to be any heat problems. PSU Colors IT 550Watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back