Will GPUs Ever Get Cheaper? GPU Pricing Update

Unfortunately you should consider current prices as the new low, there are a few factors that tend to push the price bar higher... the mad rush for AI models requires tens of thousands of GPUs (the biggest chips with the lowest yields/wafer)

It seems like the Frames/$ chart has an error for the 4090. Shows as getting less frames than the 4080, I think the leading “1” was dropped from the six game average.

Editor's note: Thanks, now fixed.

Nvidia beat on both earnings and revenue yesterday, and it was rewarded with a 12% jump in stock price this morning. Whatever game they are playing it seems to be working for them. So I guess the GPU price scam will continue on and we are just going to have suck it up or buy a console.

Last edited:
They have until Starfield comes out. If GPU prices are still stupid I am going to buy my first console since an Atari 2600 around 40 years ago.

PC gaming is turning into a boutique market for rich people, competitive gamers, and those that don't have anything else to spend their money on. The market revealed a huge pool of suckers during the mining-era. Nvidia (and to a lesser extent AMD) want to keep it there for the margins.

I have made my comments regarding the strategy of nvidia and its obvious in this article ,we are at the acceptance ERA of the new MSRP ,we consider normal price 2000euros or more for a 3090 ti or a 3080 and now at 900 euros we"got" a Bargain!! I can't accept the fact that people are buying 4090 and 4070 in the absurd price range !! Never the less its not to blame Huang or Lee, they are leaders to their markets and they are doing what ever they can to get profits from their products, the excuses for high pricing first of all have convinced reviewers and websites like this and all the others of course, that everything is normal , you don't see hardcore critics against pricing strategy of both companies ,only reviews on cost per frame ,who cares about cost per frame when their profits for 2 year old hardware is over the top even now ,most importantly how many people are convinced that pricing is OK and that this is the new NORM. The truth in the end is that the target group of nvidia is on the spot ,planet earth is full of suckers as it seems including my self in the beginning of the 20 series. Not any more though I have the time and the patience to be a little less sucker this time , gaming only doesn't worth the money right now ,2080 is still more than enough to enjoy even the newest titles quite decent!! So let's wait some more, INTEL I think is picking up fast ,maybe next year it will be a good time to think for a new Gpu ,until then just a big BOO !!! to scalping companies !!

I have made my comments regarding the strategy of nvidia and its obvious in this article ,we are at the acceptance ERA of the new MSRP ,we consider normal price 2000euros or more for a 3090 ti or a 3080 and now at 900 euros we"got" a Bargain!! I can't accept the fact that people are buying 4090 and 4070 in the absurd price range !! Never the less its not to blame Huang or Lee, they are leaders to their markets and they are doing what ever they can to get profits from their products, the excuses for high pricing first of all have convinced reviewers and websites like this and all the others of course, that everything is normal , you don't see hardcore critics against pricing strategy of both companies ,only reviews on cost per frame ,who cares about cost per frame when their profits for 2 year old hardware is over the top even now ,most importantly how many people are convinced that pricing is OK and that this is the new NORM. The truth in the end is that the target group of nvidia is on the spot ,planet earth is full of suckers as it seems including my self in the beginning of the 20 series. Not any more though I have the time and the patience to be a little less sucker this time , gaming only doesn't worth the money right now ,2080 is still more than enough to enjoy even the newest titles quite decent!! So let's wait some more, INTEL I think is picking up fast ,maybe next year it will be a good time to think for a new Gpu ,until then just a big BOO !!! to scalping companies !!

Hundreds of millions and may reach billions to develop a chip design in the latest process.

Costs are rising far beyond the logical density offered by each process, TSMC also has no competition, GPUs are bigger and more complex thanks to Nvidia's obsession with running games with a little RT at 30fps. Plus, GPUs used to have 4, 6 and 8Gb of Vram, now they have 16, 20, 24gb of Vram which is also expensive.

You can say that Nvidia's margins are high, but the truth is that not so much, in this mix there are GPUs aimed at servers and AI that are sold for tens of thousands of dollars that push the average margin upwards giving the perception that Nvidia there is that margin on all products. Which is very far from the truth.

So in our logic AMD and Nvidia should lower margins and in the future not have money to develop chips in the next generation (as said it will be even more expensive), is that what you want? The best solution would be intel and Samsung competing with TSMC as equals, :p

So it seems that I'll be playing my retrogames until 2024 and see if there is a price correction, I still refuse to pay so much for a GPU. Sadly, Nvidia and AMD will keep these mad prices as long as mad people are still buying... which seems to be working.

MSRP? Other than giving a slight insight into the manufacturers' pricing ideas, why should we use it as any other kind of reality. Value is better determined by performance, purchase price, and operating cost. Should we expand that metric?

Personally, I think that if the market continues to refuse to buy GPUs at what the market deems prices that are too expensive, the prices will drop eventually. Nvidia, AMD, and third-party GPU manufacturers cannot afford to have unsold product on their shelves. They are all in business to sell cards - and right now, it appears that the market is still unwilling to buy the latest generation GPUs at their asking prices.

No or constrained sales still means lower profits, and the relevant parties are interested in making profits. IMO, we're in a market correction phase. We'll see how it pans out.

Hundreds of millions and may reach billions to develop a chip design in the latest process.

Costs are rising far beyond the logical density offered by each process, TSMC also has no competition, GPUs are bigger and more complex thanks to Nvidia's obsession with running games with a little RT at 30fps. Plus, GPUs used to have 4, 6 and 8Gb of Vram, now they have 16, 20, 24gb of Vram which is also expensive.

You can say that Nvidia's margins are high, but the truth is that not so much, in this mix there are GPUs aimed at servers and AI that are sold for tens of thousands of dollars that push the average margin upwards giving the perception that Nvidia there is that margin on all products. Which is very far from the truth.

So in our logic AMD and Nvidia should lower margins and in the future not have money to develop chips in the next generation (as said it will be even more expensive), is that what you want? The best solution would be intel and Samsung competing with TSMC as equals, :p
Nvidia is making money out of pc users almost 50% revenue is from pc home users ,so the rest you said sounded like you are a sales representative for nvidia selling the need to milk us to make better chips for AI and servers!! LOL !!!

Nvidia is making money out of pc users almost 50% revenue is from pc home users ,so the rest you said sounded like you are a sales representative for nvidia selling the need to milk us to make better chips for AI and servers!! LOL !!!
You should study and talk less. There's nothing to answer because you don't know what you're talking about, just aimless criticism, like a child when he is denied a toy at the store "Buut I want it, please. You are so bad to mee"

The are both deliberately restricting supply to create artificial scarcity.

You should study and talk less. There's nothing to answer because you don't know what you're talking about, just aimless criticism, like a child when he is denied a toy at the store "Buut I want it, please. You are so bad to mee"
I can understand your point ,maybe criticism is my point ,is absent from the people that influence all of us ,I am talking about media that always talk about the future and never think of the present and the future doesn't exist without that !! The future isn't an excuse to overcharge for something with a lifespan less than 2 years ,I feel like a donkey having a carrot in my face ,always running to eat it but never get it !!got it?

PC gaming is probably going to die a slow death. Only rich people will be able to afford the hardware and then publishers will stop spending money to bring games to PC because there won't be enough players to justify it. Then people won't want to pay for stupid-expensive hardware because there are no games to play. These GPU prices are the beginning of the end. Unless Intel came step up and save it. Nvidia is too greedy to save their cash cow. And AMD only exists in both video cards and CPU's so that nvidia and intel don't have monopolies. They are clearly not trying to take market share.

Back