Windows 7 boot time=eternity

TheDreams

So about 4 months ago I had a problem with my boot time taking forever, I got the problem fixed...for about a week. I've been too busy to post this and have painfully dealt with it but I am getting tired of it :p My computer stops at starting windows as shown in the attachment below. I do not have a point where I want to restore windows to, seeing as I have made many changes to my files(that of which I like). Boot time takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes, halp?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 4
Try booting into Safe Mode (tap F8 once/second) and you should get B&W VGA; login as Admin

Failing hard drive? Balls. Well it all started when I downloaded Razer comms, I have since uninstalled it but another thing my computer does it say it is updating everytime I shut it off. Will try booting in Safe Mode when I get back home in a few hours.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 2
May or may not be the hard drive. But sounds more like .Windows may have some corrupt system files. Have you tried cleaning out all the junk files? Plus deleting all but one restore point. To see if this maybe the problem again.

Well I guess I need to spend a little more item on learning what things do and a little less on the games, because I didn't know that a system restore would not effect your files or documents. So if I wanted to do a system restore no documents would be deleted?

Attachments

• systemrestore.png
    systemrestore.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 1
Yea so I'm confused on your instructions, just tap F8 twice, that does nothing?
When jobeard said tap F8 once/second, that means once per second. In other words hit the F8 key continuously at the rate of once per second as the computer is booting up until you get to the startup menu.

With system restore no documents will be deleted but just to be on the safe side you should backup your data. By the way, you should already have a backup strategy in place so just run that. If you don't have one, one day you will lose all your data in a most unexpected and devastating manner. If the hard drive is failing, this will happen soon. If you are not satisfied with the results of a system restore, you can always reverse the restore and/or chose another restore point.

Can you get into the Safe Mode at all? if you can, you can set a disk check on the next start up by going to Computer, right-click on the C drive, select properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up... restart the computer

Sorry for just getting back, but I don't have a system restore that goes that far back. Also the geek squad didn't have any straight solutions but just to delete any unnecessary users on the computer(like 4) so I will be doing that later.

From the sounds of things. You maybe better off backing up any important files you have. Then do a factory reinstall. Deleting any unnecessary user may help. But a fresh install would let you get started in keeping the computer cleaned up. So these problems might be avoid.

Back