Windows 7 BSoD every other day

eddelfosse

I've been experiencing a lot of BSoD lately, and it is really annoying.

I tried using Windbg to analyze them but with no luck ...

My configuration:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel i7-2630QM 2Ghz
6 Gb RAM

Here are the dump files for all the crashes: http : // dl.dropbox.com/u/13995298/Minidumps.zip

Could you help me find out the cause of those annoying BSoD please?

Thank you in advance

If you are still experiencing BSOD's attach to your next post the five most recent dumps by using the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

As per a few of your minidumps your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

I've ran Memtest for almost 2 hours, it completed the first pass without any errors.
It was "Pass 100%" but didn't switch to pass 2, just kept running a test, is that normal?

Anyway, I've stopped it because I had to use my computer again, I'll let it run again tonight when I go to sleep

Yes, this is very normal. It doesn't count a PASS until all 8 individual tests are completed. It may look like it is just repeating the tests over and over again but it really isn't.

And, yes, let it run overnight and check it in the morning. Again, the more Passes after 7 that you can do so much the better.

I just examined those minidumps and it sure looks like a memory fault to me.

I have come across several cases where Memtest gives the all clear only to find there is indeed a fault with the RAM.

The best way to prove this is to remove all your RAM modules and just leave one in the PC. Run the PC for at least 24 hours or until you get another crash. Then swap to another RAM module and repeat the test. I think it quite likely in this case that only one of your RAM modules will produce a crash. For this test to be conclusive you must test all sticks using this process.

If you have made any changes to the voltage settings for the RAM and/or CPU please reset these to the manufacturer's recommend settings.

I hope it's not my RAM because I would hate having to buy new sticks only two months after getting my computer :/.

Anyway, I removed one of the sticks and I will use the computer for a few days to see if I experience a new crash.

Well, yeah, but as I see it here is how it's gonna go:
I send it back, they turn it on, leave it on for a while, no crash, everything works fine, send it back to me, nothing's changed...

I really don't know how to prove that the RAM is faulty.

Find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

I ran the scanner on Crucial's website which gave me this:
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB

But both RAM modules installed in my computer are PC3-12800 (1.5V), is that a problem?

How do you find the actual voltage of the RAM in the BIOS?

motherboard.png

The RAM modules match your PC's specifications.

Look under the SPD tab in CPU-Z the voltage settings should be there.

For a two month old PC I think it is very unlikely that anything is set incorrectly and I would recommend you return it and bring there attention to the minidumps which are clear undeniable evidence that your system is malfunctioning. Your PC will not produce the minidumps unless something serious is wrong with it. Burn a copy of the minidump files to a CD to keep as evidence just incase they argue with you, which I doubt.

@Mark56: The voltage is 1.5v.

@Route44: I purchased it from http://www.deviltech.de

Hmm yeah I'll try to contact them and see if I can return it without it taking forever... I can't afford not having my laptop when school starts.

I'm currently using the 4Gb RAM module (took the 2Gb one out) and haven't experienced any BSoD yet so I'll use it a bit more and then swap them out.

I'm currently using the 4Gb RAM module (took the 2Gb one out) and haven't experienced any BSoD yet so I'll use it a bit more and then swap them out.

That would explain the memory readouts from the minidumps as Mark56 and I kept coming across in reading your minidumps.

It appears either your 2GB stick was bad OR your system's motherboard doesn't like the 6 gig RAM configuration. Ask them if there is a BIOS update that can correct this. Perhaps running with 8 gigs instead of the 6 gig configuration might be stable as well. Honestly, 4 gigs should do you fine for the time being.

* Keep us updated on what they say.

I've asked them all those questions and only got an answer to a few of them.

Here is their answer:
Hello,

if you can locate the defect RAM by yourself we can send you a new one. When that’s not possible please give us your address and we give them ups to start a pick up service.
The best way to find the broken ram is, when you use the tool memtest86+. http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/system/memtest86/ (the program starts at he boot)
Test the Ram’s separately one by one and when the program give’s you some red errors you have your defect ram. To be really sure pls test the second ram to.

Ram 1: Test it in slot 1 and slot 2
Ram 2: Test it in slot 1 and slot 2
If nothing happens test both of them together.

I'm gonna run memtest on the 2Gb RAM module alone since I've been using the 4Gb one and it's working just fine.

Back