Windows 8 Firewall & Slow PC issues

Hey!

Running Windows 8 on a Gigabyte P35G v2 laptop.

- I am not using any third party malware, spy ware, firewalls etc. I've just used the windows firewall. Probably a mistake.

Specs:
Gigabyte P35G V2-CF5,
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor,
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit,
8GB DDR3 RAM - UPGRADED to Kingston ValueRAM 1x 8GB Laptop So-Dimm DDR3L Low Voltage 1600Mhz Memory RAM Module, 1 x 8 GB , DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, 1.35V, Unbuffered, DIMM,KVR16LS11/8
1000GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD Rewriter,
Dedicated GTX 860M 4GB Graphics,

Had the laptop about 9 months now.

First issue is as follows:

- Every now again, randomly my firewall does something (turns off?) not sure, but I go into windows firewall and it says "Use recommended settings". I know it's happened because my browser will suddenly stop loading pages correctly, and hanging. Once I click "Use recommended settings" it works. However, it keeps happening randomly throughout the day.

Second issue:

- PC is sometimes very laggy. To explain, occasionally when typing in skype, none of the letters appear then all of a sudden they do, they appear very delayed and lagggy. When using adobe photoshop, when first opened, I hover over the window menus and my mouse cursor lags like hell. I have to keep floating my cursor over the menus and try to 'warm up' the programme in order for it to run. In adobe illustrator, it lags when I am zooming in an out and generally trying to manipulate shapes - it's just not performing optimally.

Surely at the specs that I have, it shouldn't be doing this? At first I thought maybe creative cloud 2015 update was the cause for the Adobe issues. When the file sizes aren't even that big, I'd expect to be able to use adobe programmes with 0 lag. But it doesn't seem to be the case and it's effecting my work flow.

I guess I need to sort my PC out, clean it up, etc. No idea where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Katey

Lots of people assume that a firewall causes slow networking - - not true. Look for other causes, like a bad proxy, poor A/V software, bad or infected DNS

The slow internet issue ONLY resolves itself when I click 'use recommended settings', all web pages/internet related loaded programmes immediately begin to work once I click this button

The slow internet issue ONLY resolves itself when I click 'use recommended settings', all web pages/internet related loaded programmes immediately begin to work once I click this button
Good. Can you use this configuration as the default, or what were you attempting to do with different settings?

Back