Windows 98 hardware issues--pci/drivers/display/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

volcano

I have a computer running windows 98.
It is a Dell Dimension XPS T450.
I put a new hard drive in it because the old one was dead.
It has a pentium III.

My issues are probably all connected. I think I mainly need to reinstall a bunch of drivers for all the things that aren't working, but I'm not sure.

So here are my issues:

>>All my PCI devices aren't installed properly. In the device manager there are question marks on all the PCI hardware. most importantly the ethernet adapter.

>>The internet doesn't work I've tried manually putting in the IP address/gateways etc. my first problem is probably the cause of this one as well.

>>my only display resolution is 640x480. which sucks. the monitor shows up in the device manager as being properly installed and what not, but i'm unable to connect to the internet to download a new driver.

So the question is....can i get drivers for my devices without being able to connect to the internet?

is that really the problem or did i balls something up because i've never really done this before.

This computer is a secondary computer, but i've been working on it for a while now and would like to get it fully up and running, so any help would be appriciated. thanks.

The problem is you dont have any drivers installed. starting with your motherboard drivers. all the drivers you should need would be on the Dell resource disk that came with your computer.

I don't have any of the disks that came with the computer.

It isn't my computer.

It was abandoned in my house and i'm trying to get it up and running (internet, word processing, music) so that it can be a house computer.

you need to get the drivers and install them.

do u have access to another computer with internet and a cd burner?

there is a program that will tell you what hardware you have, if you dont already know, and im guessing u dont, ill try and find it and post it here, i cant remember off the top of my head, as ive never used it, but seen it mentioned a few times.

You can download and run this utility to identify the hardware.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/

Also if the service tag is still on the outside of the machine you can go to Dell's web site and acess their support section. enter the service tag number and it will tell you what the hardware ison the machine. and they also have a download section where you should be able to get most of the drivers you need.

best to use a program to determine hardware however, since it could have easily been changed from what it was when it came from dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back