windows 98 having problems booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am a telephone tech that also fixes computers. I was just brought a dell dimension L 550r, Os is windows 98. When I turn the computer on it comes to the win 98 screen, then goes to a blue screen with a red window that says Nav auto-protect, unable to determin the location of the configuration files. It gives me 1 option(ok). press enter, the backgroud picture comes up, no icons, no start menu, no task bar. with a window that says @ top EXPLORER, in window says"this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem consists please contact the program vendor". This is what it says in the details

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe at 017f:00401f31
and then it gives a bunch of registry values.

I close that page and there is nothing but the background picture.
Is there anything that I can do to bring this computer back to life without stomping it.
I can't start in safe mode, the only thing I can start in is command prompt only and command prompt safe mode

If you have a Windows 98 CD you might want to reinstall in the same Windows 98 directory: ‘dirty install.’

You may want to run some tests to see if your hardware is OK. There are bootable CDs available with a bunch of tests. A free one is called Ultimate Boot CD.

You can reinstall Win 98 without loosing programs or data. I have not done it for a while, but boot with the Win 98 disk, then look for a repair install vs a new install.

What I did is take the hard drive out of the computer and put it into an external usb hdd case and plugged it into my computer. Then I took all the files off the customer needed put them on a cd, and they didn't want to pay to go any further so that was the end of what I did.
Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back