Word 2000 crashes on Close document if you have the document sitting open for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterbear

I am running XP and Word 2000 and Nortons. Word will crash if you leave the document open for a while (there is no specific time frame) and then select close (icon). The error - Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. The details are: AppName: winword.exe
appver 9.0.0.3822
Modname: kernel32.dll
modvers: 5.1.26002180
offset 0001eb33

This has pretty much happened since I got this laptop. I have reformatted and reinstalled everything (due to another problem) and still have the same problem with word. I have used the same CD on other computers to install word and they do not have the same problem.

I use a variety of templates and plain documents in my work and can not pin point it to one template.

If you leave Word open with a document (no matter what size) and come back to it later this is when the problem happens. I started to get around it my saving first then closing, but this no longer works. The save completes and then I select Close and this is when it happens - you get the dreaded pause and then you hear the whirl of the computer and then you get the Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. Firstly I could put up with it but is now just a nusiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back