Xbox Series X Review

The Xbox one S reminds me of the old windows 95 systems we had at school! All that's missing is a retro style box Monitor, a couple of 10 Watt speakers, a Mouse and a keyboard!

"The existence of the S might hold back the specs of future Xbox Series games or it might require developers to eventually leave the S behind"

We don't see this on computer, I don't see why it would happen on xbox.

"The existence of the S might hold back the specs of future Xbox Series games or it might require developers to eventually leave the S behind"

I can't say that's entirely true, specs move on soon enough. Series S has only 10GB of RAM which would be the eventual issue, that's less than the older Xbox One X! You can always turn down resolutions and settings and optimise hard but in the end, you run out of memory creating problems or at the very least limiting ambition. This still isn't really the main issue though.

About that optimise hard bit- unless Series S sells really well I can only see it being a very small percentage of the next gen console market. If that ends up the case that won't encourage publishers to care about creating quality versions specifically for it. Microsoft will support it but will anyone else do anything but toss a token port onto it?

From what I have seen it's already overlooked and a footnote here too. The overwhelming majority of new sales and preorders gleaned from surveys are on the Series X, by a factor of five or more. It'll probably be quietly retired after a while if it doesn't garner strong consumer support.

I love the heat coming OUT of the vents. Means the heat dissipation is working. Just like a sports car having lots of vents and well engineered cooling, the Xbox needs well designed cooling for power and performance.

I personally love the looks. But lack of a launch title is a bit of a let down. As well as these are selling, I'm sure there will be plenty of great titles very soon.

The Xbox one S reminds me of the old windows 95 systems we had at school! All that's missing is a retro style box Monitor, a couple of 10 Watt speakers, a Mouse and a keyboard!

The PS 5 with it's funky white tower and weird curves reminds me more of those old machines than does the Xbox. Those machines were ugly, as is the PS 5. The Xbox is more modern and sleek.

Actually, we do see this on the computer (for example trying to run a 4-core-required game on a Skylake Celeron, might not even launch).

Having a massively cut-down CPU bandwidth/memory size could affect future Series-native titles (over the PS5, where both models have the same bandwidth/men specs).

At least Microsoft is following Sony, and setting a sunset date for the One S. (3 years)..if they tried to run with that old hardware for the next 8 years, that would seriously limit first-party games.

Last edited:
This is a pretty amazing console. Love the backwards compatibility that will allow a whole generation skip.

The best Xbox experience was the original.
Microsoft spared no expense.
Third party developers developed for it as if they were making pc games for pc gamers. I bought it specifically to run pC games my pC at the time couldn’t.

The best Xbox was the 360. I wasn’t happy with the proprietary HDD, but the system offered so many goof games and variety of games it was hard to complain.

Xbox One was just prettier versions of 360 games and far less variety. No more DDR releases. No new music games or peripherals. No board games (Chessmaster, Spyglass Entertainment,etc).
Proprietary, non-user replaceable storage.

Of all the systems, XBO was my least favorite and it looks like Series X is doubling down on that.

PC is making me happy.

You're talking about extreme case of comparison, this is not the same with xbox series here.
I think it's debatable how extreme it is, but regardless it's fair to say that lowest common denominator hardware-wise tends to influence software design.

Developers always dump support for crummy hardware so long as they don't disrupt thier market too much. 32bit support stuck around a long time then got dumped when developers finally decided they didn't need to worry about it

I think it's debatable how extreme it is, but regardless it's fair to say that lowest common denominator hardware-wise tends to influence software design.

Developers always dump support for crummy hardware so long as they don't disrupt thier market too much. 32bit support stuck around a long time then got dumped when developers finally decided they didn't need to worry about it

I don't agree, in gaming at least (it's not the se with software I agree). Just take cyberpunk 2077 for example.
AAA games have to look better and better every year, but people doesn't upgrade their thing every year and still, games are made to use the most of the best components and remove some effect and decrease their quality for lower specs.

games are made to use the most of the best components and remove some effect and decrease their quality for lower specs.

Again this is true of all software development. You want to cast your net around as large a group of potential customers as you can without weakening your product.

Yes computer game developers in particular have gotten really good at stretching that net but it's all a matter of degree, they are using the same formula with thier variables adjusted for their market

Back