Xperia Z1 Review: Testing Sony's Latest Android Flagship

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/740-sony-xperia-z1/]https://www.techspot.com/review/740-sony-xperia-z1/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Too big, too fragile, too flashy & too expensive. Flagship products are generally a waste of money, they tend to showcase what the manufacturer is capable of more than anything.

Did he just complain that this device is not full of bloat-ware!???!?!?

Sony makes good hardware. Their problem was waiting so damn long to bring the devices to the US. Now the US is saturated with Samsung devices... like everywhere else.

I've had one for 3 weeks, and I have to say the novelty of a new shiny wore off sooner than I'd hoped. The device is very capable, and is a big step up from my Galaxy SII.

Pros
Sony launcher is nice, although I've gone back to Apex.
Camera is very good in good light
Can take a 64Gb SD card
Battery lasts for ages with mild to moderate use
Stamina mode comes in handy if you want to eek more out of your battery when you're getting low
Waterproof which is handy when you have a 14 month old who wants to get everything covered in food and water

Cons
Camera is awful in low light
Mic is a little quiet
Screen isn't as vivid as my S II was

My options were HTC One, Lumia 1020 or Z1. I settled on the Z1 as it has a higher spec in terms of CPU and RAM than the other 2.

Looks nice, but there are a lot of better phones out there. The display is just meh.

I have that phone. Waterproofing has been tested many times and also called to it under water. Touchscreen not working underwater but thankfully there is camera button.

Camera is bad if there is little dark. Lumias are rocking on that side. Screen and colors are very nice. Performance is awesome. Nothing bad to say. Nice phone.

Battery is also pretty good. 3 email accounts full sync and little some games. Battery lasts 2 days. Charger that comes with phone is also nice.

Did he just complain that this device is not full of bloat-ware!???!?!?

Not quite. I appreciate good additions to the software package (like the Moto X has); if nothing is added, leave me with stock Android and not just a skin that does nothing but change the look

This thing requires a protective case. Its glass both back and front, with almost no protective bezel. Drop it once on a hard surface and it will be history. The goofy little trap doors for accessing the charging port are going to brake off. You cannot access/ replace the battery, the phone doesn't open.

Having said that, I liked mine for the two weeks I had it ...(waiting for a replacement screen)

Its overall a very good phone coming from its price range. Screen resolution is 720 but if u thinking of watching from it, Its good enough. It is after all a compact (mini) phone. Feel solid. But wish the button would be slightly on top since the phone is much smaller then the Z1.
Good thing Sony has fasten their software updates but alot of pointless default softwares.
Camera is arguably 1 of the best in 8mps. Esp when u update yours to KitKat. Slacking in low light but then is bare-able. Shutter response could been better and faster.
Only wish they made the batt external like ZR. That would have been splendid.

Back