You can get up to $500 off Dell's RTX 3070 PCs

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Finding an RTX 3000-series graphics card these days without paying two or three times the MSRP is a nigh-on impossible task, meaning that pre-built PCs are becoming a more enticing option. Dell’s XPS Desktop, for example, packs a much sought-after RTX 3070 and is available with almost $500 off.

Many PC gamers have long turned their noses up at pre-built machines, which usually cost more than self-builds and can use inferior parts. But with the chip shortages, scalpers, and miners ensuring graphics cards are like gold right now, the value of a PC that’s already been put together has become more apparent—though some companies, such as Fierce, are selling them without GPUs.

Dell, however, is offering a graphics card in its pre-built system; and it’s one of the best cards out there. The XPS Desktop Special Edition packs the RTX 3070, which scored 95 in our review.

The rest of the PC is no slouch, either: the processor consists of Intel’s Core i5-10400 Comet Lake CPU (you can upgrade to a Core i5-10600K for an extra $45), there’s 16GB of DDR4 RAM (2666 MHz), a 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, and a 1TB 7,200rpm HDD.

Normally $1,879, the XPS Desktop is now down to $1,566. You can get an additional 10% off, bringing the price to $1,409.40, using the code TRAVIS10OFF (thanks, Tom’s Hardware).

If you’re looking for something with a little more power, this version ups the processor to a Core i7-10700K. With the discount code, it’s available for $1,709, over $400 off the usual price.

Delivery for these PCs is set for late April to early May.

Permalink to story.

Just don‘t expect anywhere near the performance of the CPU+ GPU combo as reviewed on tech sites.

A poor CPU cooling solution (particularly on non K SKU), enforced Intel TDP and boost limits (I.e. a „65W“ CPU will actually be one), single channel RAM configs... will do that. The video card itself is supposedly pretty decent but the rest....

Buying a pre-built is the way to go at the moment due to the scarcity and pricing on GPU's. But this Dell pre-built is not great as Irata explains. Check out Alienware or CyberpowerPC for better options.

The thing is, the scalpers are buying prebuilts too to shuck them for their video cards, then reselling those for basically the price of the original system. I've seen plenty of OEM cards showing up on Ebay listings.

Just don‘t expect anywhere near the performance of the CPU+ GPU combo as reviewed on tech sites.

A poor CPU cooling solution (particularly on non K SKU), enforced Intel TDP and boost limits (I.e. a „65W“ CPU will actually be one), single channel RAM configs... will do that. The video card itself is supposedly pretty decent but the rest....

In addition to this, a lot of dell desktops use nonstandard parts.

One example: their SFX PSUs use different pin-outs for different systems (depends on how high a power consumption). Also, the motherboards are all custom.

Buy this prebuilt and sell everything except the GPU or sell the GPU and get your money back and you have the rest of the hardware for next to nothing.

In addition to this, a lot of dell desktops use nonstandard parts.

One example: their SFX PSUs use different pin-outs for different systems (depends on how high a power consumption). Also, the motherboards are all custom.
Yup, same for the cooler mount. Really dislike the non standard config of many office PC - want to upgrade them later on ? Oops, sorry, a standard PSU or HSF won‘t fit.

Since most OEM PC e.g. come with a PSU that barely supports the stock config, that limits options. I believe a Dell XPS with a 3070 and 10700 (non K) comes with a 500W PSU.

Back