YouTube is removing Tide Pod Challenge videos over poisoning fears

midian182

Staff member

Viral trends are often pretty weird, but this one manages also to be stupid and potentially dangerous. After several people filmed themselves biting into or swallowing Tide Pods, YouTube has warned that channels sharing such content will receive a strike and the videos will be removed when flagged by users.

Eating the detergent-filled pods began as a meme based on the idea that they look like tasty fruit-flavored snacks. Their appearance is why consumers are advised to keep them away from children who might be tempted to try and eat them.

Some YouTubers latched onto the meme, and so began the Tide Pod Challenge, a series of videos where people eat, or in some cases pretend to eat, the pods. It led to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issuing a tweet last week asking people not to engage in the bizarre practice.

While most people wouldn't consume something designed to wash clothes, the trend has been attributed to a high number of poisonings in the US this year. In the first 15 days of 2018, 39 teenagers contacted the American Association of Poison Control Centres (AAPCC) to report intentional poisoning. 91 percent of these cases were related to swallowing Tide Pods. There were only 39 similar cases involving teenagers in all of 2016, and 53 in 2017.

Consumer Reports says the pods are potentially toxic as they often contain ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and long-chain polymers, which can burn the mouth, digestive system and stomach. The AAPCC warns that swallowing them could lead to seizures, pulmonary edema, respiratory arrest, coma or, in extreme cases, even death.

YouTube said any channel that receives a strike would have its access to the site limited for three months. Extra strikes could lead to the channel being suspended. The decision comes after Tide’s parent company, Proctor and Gamble, said it has “been working with leading social media networks to remove harmful content that is not consistent with their policies.”

Permalink to story.

"The decision comes after Tide’s parent company, Proctor and Gamble, said it has “been working with leading social media networks to remove harmful content that is not consistent with their policies.”"

Nice that you can still buy censorship. I don't like these videos but there's plenty of stuff like this on youtube that doesn't get censored, only reason they chose these videos is corporate money, they couldn't care less for the consumer.

"The decision comes after Tide’s parent company, Proctor and Gamble, said it has “been working with leading social media networks to remove harmful content that is not consistent with their policies.”"

Nice that you can still buy censorship. I don't like these videos but there's plenty of stuff like this on youtube that doesn't get censored, only reason they chose these videos is corporate money, they couldn't care less for the consumer.
well customers can't buy their product if they're dead. While I'm sure they don't care about the well being of their customers they do care about the money that customers give them.

I say let people eat tide pods if they want to. I always say that the gene pool needs chlorine but tide pods are close enough

The only reason this really blew up is because news outlets started reporting it before it was even a fad. "PARENTS BEWARE!" always triggers a knee jerk reaction. Then a bunch of morons did it for their 10 seconds of fame.

You mean kids are doing something when adults tell them not to? Noooo...

Incredible .... and I thought my kids were dumb when they were teenagers ..... sheeeezzzeeeeee

What is different from all the other dangerous and life-risking things being done on the internet?? Are they going to ban everything?

I think the guy that convinced his pregnant (with his child) girlfriend to shoot him point blank in the gut with a Desert Eagle handgun with like a phonebook or something like that, as his only protection for some YouTube views still beats the Tide Pod Challenge

Humanity has gotten way too good at preventing natural selection. Dont censor these videos. Let them play. Darwin is just thinning out the herd of ID10Ts. Any adult that tries this absolutely deserves whatever happens to them.

"human people united against eating laundry pods"

Did the USCPSC just confirm the existence of lizard men among us? were the tin foil hatters right?!?

Being in my mid-30's I can't say kids are becoming "dumber" as I witnessed some cousins and friends do some life threatening things while I watched from afar. This measures up pretty well though and maybe the internet is making it worse due to getting instant attention while doing moronic activities.

I can't recall anyone dabbling in poisoning themselves.

Stupid people do stupid things, always have and always will. Unfortunately we have gotten really good at keeping these stupid people alive after there ideas blow up on them, and them being alive usually leads to them breading. That movie Idiocracy starting to look more and more like the future of the world in 100 years.

....[ ]..... That movie Idiocracy starting to look more and more like the future of the world in 100 years.
To hear Democrats tell the story, it happened exactly one year ago today with Donald Trump's election! :eek:

With that said, hip-hop music was blaring at Barrack Obama's inauguration, which tended to remind me of that self same movie as well. It tends to give me pause to wonder, just how many times, "the N word", was blurted out in "jubilation". :D

Oh well , since we've determined the end of intelligent life is at hand, there's nothing left to do but celebrate it's arrival!

Eat up everybody, the next round of Tide Pods is on me!(y):cool:

...[ }....I say let people eat tide pods if they want to. I always say that the gene pool needs chlorine but tide pods are close enough
My Prince, I sense this could be a meaningful way of punishing infidels in your ranks. Make examples of them. Force them to eat Tide Pods until they pass out, right in the middle of the village square.

Let natural selection do it's work. Only the intelligent survives. Just like the whole hoopla over cigarettes. Any ******* should know that smoke, even if it's from spinach, doesn't play well in the lungs. The old adage of using your head for more than a hat-rack continues to apply.

Let natural selection do it's work. Only the intelligent survives. Just like the whole hoopla over cigarettes. Any ******* should know that smoke, even if it's from spinach, doesn't play well in the lungs.,,,[ ].....
Well Danny, the only trouble with that line of reasoning is this; if everybody quit smoking, tobacco pickers would be out of work, doctors and hospitals would see a drop in revenues, and researchers in the field of cancer cures, would see a lot of their grant money dry up.

Not to mention drug manufacturers would no longer be able to peddle "end of life drugs", at $10,000 dollars a dose.

After all, isn't an extra week or two of a painful debilitated, worthless life, worth all your family's savings and property?

Well Danny, the only trouble with that line of reasoning is this; if everybody quit smoking, tobacco pickers would be out of work, doctors and hospitals would see a drop in revenues, and researchers in the field of cancer cures, would see a lot of their grant money dry up.

Not to mention drug manufacturers would no longer be able to peddle "end of life drugs", at $10,000 dollars a dose.

After all, isn't an extra week or two of a painful debilitated, worthless life, worth all your family's savings and property?

Yep

My Prince, I sense this could be a meaningful way of punishing infidels in your ranks. Make examples of them. Force them to eat Tide Pods until they pass out, right in the middle of the village square.
A lense was always a metaphor for punishing infadels!

Back