On video side, MEncoder is used as back-end, which provides support for nearly all known video compression and container formats as well as rich and useful video filtering features (e.g. post-processing, 3D de-noise).
On audio side, MPlayer and Winamp input plugins used as decoders, various encoders integrated, MediaCoder can simply batch transcode among any known audio formats, with tags transferred, file names generated, and even performing audio filtering (e.g. resample, normalize) on the fly.
- Improving compression / reducing file size (audio+video -> audio+video): e.g. MPG/VOB/AVI/RMVB/MOV/MP4 -> AVI/MKV/MP4 (Xvid/DivX/H.264 + MP3/OGG/AAC)
- Extracting audio track (audio+video -> audio): e.g. MPG/VOB/AVI/RMVB/MOV/MP4 -> MP3/OGG/AAC/MPC
- Converting to normal VCD/DVD player ready video files (audio+video -> MPEG): e.g. RMVB/MOV -> MPEG 1/2
- Converting from lossless or high-bitrate audio to low-bitrate audio to play with portable DAP (audio -> audio): e.g. APE/FLAC/WavPack (+ CUE sheets) -> MP3/AAC/WMA
- Ripping CDs and compressing it on the fly: e.g. CD tracks-> APE/FLAC/WavPack/MP3/OGG/AAC/WMA/MPC
Supported source formats:
- Audio: MP3, OGG/Vorbis, AAC, MusePack, WMA, RealAudio, FLAC, WavPack, APE/APL, WAV, CUE Sheets, and any other formats supported by Winamp input plugins
- Video: AVI (Xvid/DivX/H.264), MPEG1/2/4, QuickTime (mov), WMV/ASF, RealMedia (rmvb), MP4, Matroska (mkv)
- CUE Sheets
Supported target audio formats:
- Lossy: MP3 (Lame), OGG/OGM (Vorbis), AAC (iTunes, Nero AAC Encoder, FAAC), AAC+/Parametric Stereo (CT, Helix), MusePack, WMA
- Lossless: FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio (APE), WMA Lossless, WAV
Supported target video formats:
- H.264, Xvid, DivX 4/5, MPEG1/2/4, H.263 etc.
Supported target container formats:
- AVI, MPEG 1/2, Matroska, MP4
- x264 r5935
- x265 2.8+74
- Some UI fresh-up