Save your files effortlessly and open your folders instantly—Default Folder X makes Mac OS X's Open and Save dialogs work as quickly as you do. Custom keyboard shortcuts put your favorite and recent folders at your fingertips. Pop-up menus let you navigate your folders and open Finder windows. Open, save, and get back to work: Default Folder X is workflow for the rest of us.
You can access the contents of your recent, favorite, and open folders right from Default Folder X's toolbar. Its hierarchical pop-up menus expand as you mouse over them, letting you navigate your folders to get to your files. To work faster, you can assign a keyboard shortcut for all of your favorite folders. If an Open and Save dialog isn't open, then you can use Default Folder X's menu bar, Dock icon, or keyboard shortcuts.
Real time saving
If you're constantly saving things inside the same folder, Default Folder X can remember that folder for you. You can even set a different default folder for each application you use. That way, you'll already be in the right folder when you're working.
Have you ever wanted to save a file to an open Finder window? Default Folder X lets you open up or save to any Finder window with a single click. It also lets you get info on, rename, and delete existing files, putting the Finder's power in every Open and Save dialog.
To help you quickly return to folders you've recently used, Default Folder X remembers them for you. It can even rebound to the last file you used in all your recent folders. With Default Folder X, you'll never forget where you put something.
Spotlight on the spot
Mac OS X delivers amazing search capabilities with Spotlight, but adding your own search keywords requires a trip to the Finder's Get Info window. No more! Default Folder X lets you add Spotlight keywords and Finder labels on the spot, while you're still in the Save dialog. It even remembers keywords you've used before and automatically completes them as you type.
- The width of the sidebar in file dialogs is now saved and restored, working around a bug in Big Sur 11.2.
- Holding down the Option key while switching folder sets will open all Favorites from that set in the Finder.
- Default Folder X supports searching with the version of HoudahSpot available on Setapp in addition to the standalone version from Houdah Software.
- Previously, when you chose a file from the Recent Files menu in a file dialog that was already displaying the folder containing that file, Default Folder X would select the file but wouldn't open it. The file is now correctly opened when you choose it from the menu. This also fixes a similar bug when sending a search result from HoudahSpot to Default Folder X.
- Incorporated additional workarounds for disappearing cursor problems on Big Sur.
- Fixed some minor user interface issues in the Preferences window.