It uses with a side by side (dual view) or single view interface to compare the original with the optimized image in real time and instantly see the resulting file size.
The image optimizer is lightweight, fast and simple to use, yet powerful for advanced users. You will be able to control compression, number of colors, metadata settings and much more, and select image format (JPEG, GIF or PNG) for your output file.
RIOT can be integrated as plug-in in well known programs like The GIMP, IrfanView and XnView.
- open many image types including rare/scientific types
- save and optimize JPEG, GIF and PNG with a simple, clean user interface
- works in dual view: (original – optimized image) or single view (optimized image).
- Automatic preview of resulting image in-place compare function (alternativelly display the original image over the optimized image to notice small pixel changes)
- compress files to desired filesize threshold
- fast processing (all is done in memory);
- see instant results including resulting filesize
- batch support (process multiple files at once)
- transparency handling options
- decide if you want to keep metadata (comments, IPTC, Adobe XMP, EXIF profiles, ICC profiles).
- Unsupported metadata is removed
- transfer metadata between image formats (destination format must support them)
- common tools: pan and zoom, rotate, flip
- basic image adjustments: brightness, contrast, gamma, invert
- visually reduce number of unique colors for PNG and GIF images in order to reduce filesize (two quantization methods are available: Xiaolin Wu and NeuQuant neural net)
- resize image by using well known resample filters (ex: Lanczos3, Catmull Rom, Bicubic, and others)
- out-of-the-box support for external PNG optimizers (optipng, pngout, etc)
- the compression and the results are comparable to those of commercial products, even higher.
- Adaptive logarithmic tone mapping algorithm (Drago) used for HDR images
Input image types
- common bitmap images as well as Adobe Photoshop PSD files
- popular HDR formats and RAW camera images
- rare/scientific types (up to 128 bpp, integer and floating point)
- fixed clipboard lock
- fixed keep original date/time if in-place optimization
- prevent delete of original if in-place optimization and “Delete original files” are used
- fixed keep original file extension when saving files in batch
- fixed keep original file extension when saving files from the main window
- fixed file extension filter when using the Save As dialog for less common JPEG extensions
- fixed render images after Auto resize dialog is discarded
- fixed multi-monitor issue: restore position only if the saved position would be inside the visible area
- fixed overriding settings in “Auto, Custom Format mode” did not switched the mode the Manual
- fixed “Auto, Custom Format mode” blending transparency for JPEG format (white color usad now by default instead of black, but should use the last chosen color)
- improved check for updates procedure. now enabled by default. does not create temporary files anymore
- added minimum compression setting to PNG (zlib level 1). This is useful for using with an external optimizer or reducing colors before final compression
- png compression settings “minimum” and “low” are always remembered upon program restart if save settings on exit is enabled.