There is also a paid for Pro edition which further enhances the possibilities of sharing content in your connected household.
Serviio works with many devices from your connected home (TV, Playstation 3, XBox 360, smart phones, tablets, etc.). It supports profiles for particular devices so that it can be tuned to maximise the device's potential and/or minimize lack of media format playback support (via transcoding).
Serviio is based on Java technology and therefore runs on most platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux (incl. embedded systems, e.g. NAS).
- streams audio, video (SD & HD) and image files in their native format or transcoded in real-time
- streams content from online sources, like RSS feeds, live audio/video streams, web page content
- includes a plugin system to support streaming from non-trivial online sources
- supports most known playlist formats
- supports subtitles
- automatically updates the media library when you add/update/remove a media file or a metadata file
- supports RAW camera images
- wide array of localized library browsing options
- supports different editable renderer profiles
- supports automatic renderer detection and per-IP profile assignment
- extracts metadata of your media files the way you want it, incl. embedded metadata tags, local metadata files, online metadata sources (in preferred language), XBMC, Swisscenter, MyMovies
- supports video thumbnails, CD covers, DVD posters, etc.
- categorizes video files into movie and/or series and marks last viewed episodes of a series
- integrates with trakt.tv
- available for Windows, Linux and Mac (with the possibility to run the server part on one platform and console on another)
- Samsung TVs and Bluray players (supports additional features, e.g. subtitles)
- Sony TVs and Bluray players
- Panasonic TVs
- Playstation 3, Playstation 4
- Xbox 360, Xbox One
- LG TVs and Bluray players
- Toshiba TVs
- Sharp TVs
- Philips TVs
- WDTV Live (supports subtitles)
- Oppo BDP-83
- DirecTV DVR
- Pure Flow devices
- Android phones, iOS phones
- ... and many more
Supported media files:
- Audio: MP3( .mp3), MP2 (.mp2), Windows Media Audio (.wma), WMA Lossless (.wma), AAC (.m4a), OGG (.ogg, .oga), FLAC (.flac), Apple Lossless ALAC (.mp4), Wawpack (.wv), Musepack (.mpc), Monkey's Audio (.ape), DSF (.dsf), WAV (.wav),
- Video: MPEG-1 (.mpg, .mpeg), MPEG-2 PS (.mpg, .mpeg, vob, mod), MPEG-2 TS (.ts, .m2ts), MPEG-4 (.mp4, m4v, mov), AVI (.avi, .divx), Windows Media Video (.wmv, .asf), Matroska (.mkv), Flash (.flv, .f4v), DVR-MS (.dvr, .dvr-ms), WTV (.wtv), OGG (.ogv, .ogm), 3GP (.3gp, .3g2), RealVideo (.rm, .rmvb)
- Image: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), GIF (.gif), PNG (.png), RAW (.arw, .cr2, .crw, .dng, .raf, .raw,. rw2, .mrw, .nef, .nrw, .pef, .srf, .orf)
- Playlist: PLS (.pls), M3U (.m3u, .m3u8), ASX (.asx, .wax., .wrx), WPL (.wpl)
- Subtitles: SubRip (.srt, .txt), SSA/ASS (.ssa, .ass), MicroDVD (.sub, .txt), SAMI (.smi), VTT (.vtt), MOV open text
We are pleased to announce that version 1.8 is ready for download. There are a couple of nice new features in this release.
Serviio now can detect when you start and stop playing a file. In some cases it's still based on estimation (due to the DLNA protocol limitations), but for basic overview of what is playing where it should do. Check out the playback notifications in the Console and playback info on the Status page in the Console.
On the back of the above, Serviio now integrates with trakt.tv service. Serviio will add your library items to the Trakt.tv collection (assuming you are using descritpive metadata for your videos) and will also keep track of the videos you play to update your viewing progress on trakt.tv. Go check them out.
Lastly, Serviio finally supports multiple genres per video.
As usual, the upgrade will rescan your entire library, so expect some higher CPU usage while it's happening.
Apps similar to Serviio 4
A highly portable and popular multimedia player for multiple audio and video formats.
This is the most constant and safest version of Popcorn Time. Watch the latest movies and TV shows instantly in HD with subtitles, for free. Available for Windows, macOS and Linux.
Award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media.