The Atari 2600 Video Computer System (VCS), introduced in 1977, was the most popular home video game system of the early 1980's. Now you can enjoy all of your favorite Atari 2600 games on your PC thanks to Stella!
Stella is a multi-platform Atari 2600 VCS emulator released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Stella was originally developed for Linux by Bradford W. Mott, and is currently maintained by Stephen Anthony. Since its original release several people have joined the development team to port Stella to other operating systems such as AcornOS, AmigaOS, DOS, FreeBSD, IRIX, Linux, OS/2, MacOS, Unix, and Windows. The development team is working hard to perfect the emulator and we hope you enjoy our effort.
On this site you'll find information about downloading, installing, using, and enhancing Stella. You'll also find useful information about the Atari 2600, emulation and homebrew development.
- Added adjustable autofire.
- Added 'Dark' UI theme.
- Extended global hotkeys for debug options.
- Added option to playback a game using the Time Machine.
- Allow taking snapshots from within the Time Machine dialog.
- Added the ability to access most files that Stella uses from within a ZIP file. This includes the following:
- Per-ROM properties file (so one can distribute a ROM and its associated properties).
- Debugger symbol (.sym) and list (.lst) files, etc.
- Several others, as we extend the support.
- Basically, you are now able to put many files that Stella uses inside one ZIP file, and distribute just that file.
- Extended AtariVox support to handle flow control, so that long phrases are no longer corrupted/cut off. This includes properly supporting the 2600-daptor II, which is flashable to an AVox-USB converter.
- Added auto-detection of the serial port used for an AtariVox-USB adaptor.
- Added QuadTari controller support.
- Added option to select the audio device.
- Added support for CDFJ+ bankswitching type.
- Further enhanced UA bankswitching to support more Brazilian carts.
- Added option to display detected settings info when a ROM is loaded.
- Added another oddball TIA glitch option for delayed background color.
- Added option to disable aspect ratio correct scaling.
- Added debugger pseudo-registers '_timwrapread' and '_timwrapwrite', which are set when the RIOT timer is read/written on timer wraparound, respectively.
- Bankswitching schemes BUS, DPC+ and CDFx now work when startup bank randomization is enabled (these schemes now ignore that setting).
- Replaced "Re-disassemble" with "Disassemble @ current line" in debugger.
- Fixed bug when taking fullscreen snapshots; the dimensions were sometimes cut off.