The Android Security Bulletin contains details of security vulnerabilities affecting Android devices. Alongside the bulletin, we have released a security update to Google devices through an over-the-air (OTA) update. The Google device firmware images have also been released to the Google Developer site. Security patch levels of January 05, 2017 or later address all of these issues. Refer to the Pixel and Nexus update schedule to learn how to check a device's security patch level.
Partners were notified of the issues described in the bulletin on December 05, 2016 or earlier. Source code patches for these issues will be released to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) repository in the next 48 hours. We will revise this bulletin with the AOSP links when they are available. This bulletin also includes links to patches outside of AOSP.
The most severe of these issues is a Critical security vulnerability that could enable remote code execution on an affected device through multiple methods such as email, web browsing, and MMS when processing media files.
We have had no reports of active customer exploitation or abuse of these newly reported issues. Refer to the Android and Google service mitigations section for details on the Android security platform protections and service protections such as SafetyNet, which improve the security of the Android platform.
We encourage all customers to accept these updates to their devices.
Android 7.1.1 Nougat
Made for you
- With more ways to make Android your own, Android Nougat is our sweetest release yet.
The OS that speaks your languages
- Bring your words to life with updated and entirely new emoji, and the ability to use two or more languages at the same time.
- Over 1500 emoji including 72 new ones
- Multi Locale language settings
Be in two places at once
- Now you can switch between apps with a double tap, and run two apps side by side. So go ahead and watch a movie while texting, or read a recipe with your timer open.
- Multi-window view
- Quick switch between apps
Experience Android in a new dimension
- Vulkan API is a game changer with high-performance 3D graphics. On supported devices, see apps leap to life with sharper graphics and eye-candy effects.
Enjoy simple, high quality virtual reality
- With VR mode, Android Nougat is ready to transport you to new worlds. Available on Daydream-ready phones.
Keep on keeping on with a smarter battery
- Doze now helps save battery power even when you're on the move. So your device will still go into low power usage while you carry it in your pocket or purse.
Stay in the moment
- Android Nougat makes it easier to take action in the moment, with more personalized settings and smarter notifications.
Custom Quick Settings
- Rearrange your Quick Setting tiles so you can get to what you want faster.
Notification Direct Reply
- Mini conversations within your notifications let you reply on the fly – without opening any app.
- See what's new at a glance with bundled notifications from apps. Simply tap to expand and view more info without having to open the app.
More ways to make Android yours
- Android Nougat opens up more ways for you to personalize your Android device. Decide how your data is used, the way you’re notified, and what your display looks like.
- Limit how much data your device uses with Data Saver. When Data Saver is turned on, apps in the background won't be able to access cell data.
- When a notification pops up, just press and hold to toggle the settings. For instance, you can silence future alerts from an app in the notification itself.
- Not only can you change the size of the text on your device, but the size of the icons and the experience itself.
Security is at the heart of all we do
- Your safety and privacy are important. As always, Android is built with powerful layers of security and encryption to keep your private data private. With Android Nougat, we’ve also added new features.
- On select new devices, software updates download in the background, so you won't have to wait while your device syncs with the latest security tools.
- By encrypting at the file level, Android can better isolate and protect files for individual users on your device.
- Starting your device is faster and apps run securely even before you enter your password.