Apple's anticipated iOS 10.2 update is now available for iPhone and iPad devices after several beta releases since late October. This is the second major update to the iOS 10 operating system since it launched on September 13, and it arrives alongside tvOS 10.1 to mark the debut of Apple's new "TV" app for discovering video content, which was officially announced in October.
The TV app is essentially an aggregator for video streaming apps that makes watching content across multiple devices as seamless as possible. Instead of searching through several apps to find something to watch, you can simply search for a specific show or look through a single guide and the content will launch on whatever app it's available from. Apple described it as offering a unified TV experience for Apple TV, iPhone and iPad that lets you start a show on one device and pick it up on another.
The TV app comprises handful of major categories: Watch Now (your queue and recommendations), Library (all your rentals and purchases from iTunes), Store and Search.
Part of the streamlining process comes from the Single Sign-On feature that allows you to access content from every provider you are signed up with without having to type in your password for every different app. One notably absent service from the new TV app --- at least at launch --- is Netflix.
Aside from the TV app, iOS 10.2 includes more detailed emoji and over 100 new additions, improved stabilization and faster frame rates for Live Photos, and several other tweaks and fixes in the company's Messages, News, Music, Mail apps. Full change log pasted below.
- Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you're currently watching and pick up where you left off
- Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
- Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
- Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
- Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
- Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
- Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
- Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
- Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
- Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
- Additional support for RAW digital cameras
- Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
- Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
- Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
- Stories you've saved for later now appear the new Saved section
- The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
- It's now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
- Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
- Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
- Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
- Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
- Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
- Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
- Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
- Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
- Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List