Asus MX34VQ Review: 34" Ultra Wide Curved 100Hz Monitor

The problem here is that there are far too many Korean monitors on the market that do 1440p 144 Hz with free sync for sub $400 - 350. I'm guessing that this is the exact same panel, because they all seem to be VA 1440p and 34" wide. The sad part here is that ASUS's dead pixel policy isn't any better then any of the Korean companies but at least with the Korean monitors you can pay $10 extra and get a pixel perfect model.

The problem here is that there are far too many Korean monitors on the market that do 1440p 144 Hz with free sync for sub $400 - 350. I'm guessing that this is the exact same panel, because they all seem to be VA 1440p and 34" wide. The sad part here is that ASUS's dead pixel policy isn't any better then any of the Korean companies but at least with the Korean monitors you can pay $10 extra and get a pixel perfect model.
yea but any real retailer you buy this from will (ALMOST always) accept returns for dead pixels, and manufacturers usually from what I hear are pretty lenient on their dead pixel policy too depending on case - cannot be said for the korean monitors. Best youll get is a sentence of half-broken english telling you to bug off.

$720 for something as simple as a PC monitor is considered affordable? I guess it could be if you place your values on them but I don't.

yea but any real retailer you buy this from will (ALMOST always) accept returns for dead pixels, and manufacturers usually from what I hear are pretty lenient on their dead pixel policy too depending on case - cannot be said for the korean monitors. Best youll get is a sentence of half-broken english telling you to bug off.

You've got like Amazon, that's it. Newegg allows up to 8 and B&H allows up to 5.

"manufacturers usually from what I hear are pretty lenient on their dead pixel policy too depending on case"

From "what you hear" isn't very convincing. I've been through ASUS's monitor RMA process. They will not RMA for anything under 5 dead pixels. If you want a zero dead pixel guarantee, buy a dell ultrasharp. Taking a gamble and hoping they bend the rules for you is pointless.

"Best youll get is a sentence of half-broken english telling you to bug off"

That's something I would expect from many American company's customer support. It's just funny here how much you seem to be overlooking that ASUS and many of the other monitor manufacturers have their customer support overseas.

"At $720 it's the most affordable ultrawide of this kind with a 100Hz refresh rate"
Wow, it is still waaaay to expensive imo...

$720 for something as simple as a PC monitor is considered affordable? I guess it could be if you place your values on them but I don't.

Both of you need to put this in to context of what is already available on the market in that space.

You will not find a decent monitor of this size with similar features under $1000.

And a monitor usually last several builds so its an investment.

My Current hp zr24w(IPS) which was $500 in 2010, I was told its to expensive buy a cheaper monitor dell has etc for much cheaper. Guess what my HP monitor is still going strong today 7 years later. And those cheaper displays that my friends bought are all in the garbage now and replaced. That is an investment worth doing again!

And of course it matters how much money you make.

You've got like Amazon, that's it. Newegg allows up to 8 and B&H allows up to 5.

"manufacturers usually from what I hear are pretty lenient on their dead pixel policy too depending on case"

From "what you hear" isn't very convincing. I've been through ASUS's monitor RMA process. They will not RMA for anything under 5 dead pixels. If you want a zero dead pixel guarantee, buy a dell ultrasharp. Taking a gamble and hoping they bend the rules for you is pointless.

"Best youll get is a sentence of half-broken english telling you to bug off"

That's something I would expect from many American company's customer support. It's just funny here how much you seem to be overlooking that ASUS and many of the other monitor manufacturers have their customer support overseas.
Asus is NOT an American company and all things considered you are definitely right about them - their customer service is honestly the worst ive dealt with in a long time. I was speaking more generally, not stating something I perceive as hard fact that umbrellas all brands.

Ive dealt with Acer, Dell, Lenovo, and samsung - they have all been pretty solid with dead pixel issues.
Even lately with Nintendo causing an uproar over saying dead pixels on the switch were "normal", retailers still took returns and even /r/nintendoswitch says nintendo repairs them under warranty.

Newegg, best buy, amazon, BH, frys, microcenter, ebay is hit/miss but most decent sellers would be cool with it, etc

It may sound irreverent, but maybe 34 inch is a little too wide for me. I have seen 34 inch monitors at the Microsoft Store and actually sat down and tried them. They seem pretty nice, but not sure how long that would last. I now have a 27 inch HP monitor for each of my Desktop PCs and they are plenty big. 34 inch great but ????

How hard is it to have a second phone charger at work, and how long does it take to plug in a phone- about 3 seconds? Lose the fancy but completely unneeded base and put that money toward a better panel, Asus. Sounds like this thing is "all show and no go".

Back