1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Burger King's Impossible Whopper goes nationwide starting next week

By Shawn Knight · 48 replies
Aug 2, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Burger King earlier this year started market testing a meat-free version of its famous Whopper in select restaurants in the St. Louis area. Now, the burger chain is preparing to take the Impossible Whopper nationwide.

From August 8, you’ll be able to order an Impossible Whopper at one of over 7,000 BK locations across the country – either on-site or through DoorDash.

Built around a plant-based patty from Impossible Foods, the Impossible Whopper doesn’t contain any beef yet retains the same texture and taste as traditional meat. It’s so convincing that even Burger King’s corporate staff that is very familiar with the iconic burger had a hard time differentiating between a regular Whopper and the Impossible Whopper.

Burger King isn’t the only fast-food chain to experiment with plant-based alternatives. Early this year, Carl’s Jr. partnered with Beyond Meat to bring its animal-free creation to more than 1,000 locations across the country. You can also find Impossible Burgers at select Red Robin, White Castle, Hopdoddy and Fatburger locations.

From August 8 through September 1, Burger King will run a promotion in which DoorDash users can order a regular Whopper and the Impossible Whopper for just $7 with free delivery – a bit of a taste test, if you will. Normally, the Impossible Whopper sells for $5.59.

Permalink to story.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. ZackL04

ZackL04 TS Guru Posts: 549   +271

The burger chair

3. vayeate

vayeate TS Enthusiast Posts: 26   +17

Soy-based...

4. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,936   +2,261

There is a lot more than soy in it.

The impossible burger tastes close enough to a real burger that if someone gave it to you and didn't tell you, you wouldn't know. It even bleeds like a normal burger.

However, of you eat one side-by-side it is pretty obvious which one is the real burger. That said, I recommend trying it just for the f*** of it. I tried it out of curiosity and wasn't disappointed. That said, I'm sticking to real meat for the time being.

5. loading88

loading88 TS Rookie

The problem with these kind of imitation meats is that they really aren't that much healthier for you. Between the massive amount of sodium and higher saturated fats from being processed. You do get some vitamins/nutrients that you won't normally find in beef though.

I'm all for it. Has a much smaller impact on the environment compared to cattle farms. Although it won't be for everyone, allergies to gluten and soy.

EndRessentiment likes this.
  6. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,870   +616

I don't eat at fast food places so I don't care either way

Dimitrios likes this.
  7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,511   +3,901

I had one and I couldn't tell the difference .... but they will need to price it the same as the regular whopper or the interest will die out over time .....

SalaSSin likes this.
  8. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Evangelist Posts: 608   +204

I always liked those deep fried tacos jack in the box has when I was a kid. Back then I wasn't aware they weren't actually made with meat and later learned it was something called texturized vegetable protein. Back then vegetarian stuff wasn't even a thing afaik and it wasn't a matter of making something meatless specifically, it's just that vegetable protein stuff is apparently super cheap and used for that reason.

9. amstech

amstech IT Overlord Posts: 2,279   +1,484

People of this entitled, lofty generation have this fear of killing things. If you want to hear how silly it really is, you need to listen to Strange Times by Joe Rogan on Netflix when he talks about # Vegancat.

Teko03 likes this.
  10. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 4,094   +3,646

You know what they say, beans are the meat from the field. They are also very cheap as well. Mind you extracted veggie protein isn't that great for you as it's heavily processed. I'm not a fan of making meat substitutes out of veggies as it typically results in an unhealthy dish. I believe that vegetables can taste amazing if the chef knows how to take advantage of each's special qualities, much like how baked tomato with basil vingeratte brings out an intense umami.

Or perhaps they simply like diversifying, after all humans are omnivores. If you are relying on the news as your source of what millennial are eating, then you are simply stereotyping them. Just because a trend has them exploring new dishes certainly does not mean they do not eat meat.

Bubbajim, SalaSSin, Clynt and 2 others like this.
  11. fps4ever

fps4ever TS Evangelist Posts: 317   +313

I'm obviously no expert but what you say makes sense. I honestly thought it would be healthier.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  12. antiproduct

antiproduct TS Addict Posts: 118   +129

Yup, lots of them seem to be particularly fond of not killing the environment. Back in my day we had CFCs and didn't care...

13. Carla K

Carla K TS Rookie

Soy based burgers with lab created blood injected into it. Hmmmm Soylent Green anyone?

Questors likes this.
  14. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 2,613   +595

https://www.businessinsider.com/impossible-burger-beyond-burger-nutrition-compared-beef-2019-6

It has more sodium and less fat. 16% daily sodium vs about 10% from a beef patty. But no growth hormones, steroids or antibiotics. No cannibal cows fed leftover meat products. No pesticides\herbacides, lab grown. No I didn't link any of the nasty stuff just a beef vs plant comparison. I'm not a vegan or a gluten person, I shop at Walmart like most of America.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5cfa9d5a11e20526550d36da-960-474.png

I wanna try it, if it tastes good and costs the same, why not. lol they don't inject it with blood. idk why people are so afraid of these new burgers.

"Normally, the Impossible Whopper sells for $5.59."

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  15. Danny101

Danny101 TS Guru Posts: 820   +324

Every man and boy should steer clear of soybean based products. Why do you think they call feminine men soyboys? It's full of estrogen.

16. Danny101

I would also steer clear of antibiotic, hormone laced meats and dairy as well. Anybody weaned shouldn't be drinking milk anyway. Are you a calf? The elusive obvious that society ignores.

MrExige likes this.
  17. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,371   +1,007

All of you should be investing in this veganism nonsense.

I'm already up 245%

I never though I'd be up that much.

18. Trapped Nowhere

Trapped Nowhere TS Rookie

How would one who's never invested before do this thing you speak of?

Sounds like something that should be taught in schools

19. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,371   +1,007

#1 TAKE A $500 CHECK to TD Ameritrade to start a trading account.
    #2 download app for your trading account.
    #3 Peel off a small amount of money every paycheck and BUY STOCK.

amghwk and Trapped Nowhere like this.
  20. Trapped Nowhere

Trapped Nowhere TS Rookie

Wow, I've never been recommended to buy stocks before. I think it's time I finally learn how. Thanks!

21. Danny101

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  22. netman

netman TS Evangelist Posts: 347   +109

I am still puzzled how this articles relates to tech!

PEnnn likes this.
  23. Jroc187

Jroc187 TS Enthusiast Posts: 33   +15

Thank you for this useless information

24. Questors

Questors TS Enthusiast Posts: 27   +32

They are killing my food's food. The murderous bastiges!

25. Questors

Questors TS Enthusiast Posts: 27   +32

Soy is used as an estrogen supplement for women. I wonder why?

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...