Burger King's Impossible Whopper goes nationwide starting next week

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Plant-based burgers may not sound all that appealing for meat lovers but it’s one of those things that is tough to knock until you try. If nothing else, the Impossible Whopper may be a bit healthier than the traditional version as it has roughly 15 percent less fat and 90 percent less cholesterol.

Burger King earlier this year started market testing a meat-free version of its famous Whopper in select restaurants in the St. Louis area. Now, the burger chain is preparing to take the Impossible Whopper nationwide.

From August 8, you’ll be able to order an Impossible Whopper at one of over 7,000 BK locations across the country – either on-site or through DoorDash.

Built around a plant-based patty from Impossible Foods, the Impossible Whopper doesn’t contain any beef yet retains the same texture and taste as traditional meat. It’s so convincing that even Burger King’s corporate staff that is very familiar with the iconic burger had a hard time differentiating between a regular Whopper and the Impossible Whopper.

Burger King isn’t the only fast-food chain to experiment with plant-based alternatives. Early this year, Carl’s Jr. partnered with Beyond Meat to bring its animal-free creation to more than 1,000 locations across the country. You can also find Impossible Burgers at select Red Robin, White Castle, Hopdoddy and Fatburger locations.

From August 8 through September 1, Burger King will run a promotion in which DoorDash users can order a regular Whopper and the Impossible Whopper for just $7 with free delivery – a bit of a taste test, if you will. Normally, the Impossible Whopper sells for $5.59.

Permalink to story.

Soy-based...
There is a lot more than soy in it.

The impossible burger tastes close enough to a real burger that if someone gave it to you and didn't tell you, you wouldn't know. It even bleeds like a normal burger.

However, of you eat one side-by-side it is pretty obvious which one is the real burger. That said, I recommend trying it just for the f*** of it. I tried it out of curiosity and wasn't disappointed. That said, I'm sticking to real meat for the time being.

The problem with these kind of imitation meats is that they really aren't that much healthier for you. Between the massive amount of sodium and higher saturated fats from being processed. You do get some vitamins/nutrients that you won't normally find in beef though.

I'm all for it. Has a much smaller impact on the environment compared to cattle farms. Although it won't be for everyone, allergies to gluten and soy.

I had one and I couldn't tell the difference .... but they will need to price it the same as the regular whopper or the interest will die out over time .....

I always liked those deep fried tacos jack in the box has when I was a kid. Back then I wasn't aware they weren't actually made with meat and later learned it was something called texturized vegetable protein. Back then vegetarian stuff wasn't even a thing afaik and it wasn't a matter of making something meatless specifically, it's just that vegetable protein stuff is apparently super cheap and used for that reason.

People of this entitled, lofty generation have this fear of killing things. If you want to hear how silly it really is, you need to listen to Strange Times by Joe Rogan on Netflix when he talks about # Vegancat.

I always liked those deep fried tacos jack in the box has when I was a kid. Back then I wasn't aware they weren't actually made with meat and later learned it was something called texturized vegetable protein. Back then vegetarian stuff wasn't even a thing afaik and it wasn't a matter of making something meatless specifically, it's just that vegetable protein stuff is apparently super cheap and used for that reason.

You know what they say, beans are the meat from the field. They are also very cheap as well. Mind you extracted veggie protein isn't that great for you as it's heavily processed. I'm not a fan of making meat substitutes out of veggies as it typically results in an unhealthy dish. I believe that vegetables can taste amazing if the chef knows how to take advantage of each's special qualities, much like how baked tomato with basil vingeratte brings out an intense umami.

People of this entitled, lofty generation have this fear of killing things. If you want to hear how silly it really is, you need to listen to Strange Times by Joe Rogan on Netflix when he talks about # Vegancat.

Or perhaps they simply like diversifying, after all humans are omnivores. If you are relying on the news as your source of what millennial are eating, then you are simply stereotyping them. Just because a trend has them exploring new dishes certainly does not mean they do not eat meat.

You know what they say, beans are the meat from the field. They are also very cheap as well. Mind you extracted veggie protein isn't that great for you as it's heavily processed. I'm not a fan of making meat substitutes out of veggies as it typically results in an unhealthy dish. I believe that vegetables can taste amazing if the chef knows how to take advantage of each's special qualities, much like how baked tomato with basil vingeratte brings out an intense umami.

Or perhaps they simply like diversifying, after all humans are omnivores. If you are relying on the news as your source of what millennial are eating, then you are simply stereotyping them. Just because a trend has them exploring new dishes certainly does not mean they do not eat meat.

I'm obviously no expert but what you say makes sense. I honestly thought it would be healthier.

Last edited:

Yup, lots of them seem to be particularly fond of not killing the environment. Back in my day we had CFCs and didn't care...

https://www.businessinsider.com/impossible-burger-beyond-burger-nutrition-compared-beef-2019-6

It has more sodium and less fat. 16% daily sodium vs about 10% from a beef patty. But no growth hormones, steroids or antibiotics. No cannibal cows fed leftover meat products. No pesticides\herbacides, lab grown. No I didn't link any of the nasty stuff just a beef vs plant comparison. I'm not a vegan or a gluten person, I shop at Walmart like most of America.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5cfa9d5a11e20526550d36da-960-474.png

I wanna try it, if it tastes good and costs the same, why not. lol they don't inject it with blood. idk why people are so afraid of these new burgers.

"Normally, the Impossible Whopper sells for $5.59."

Last edited:
Every man and boy should steer clear of soybean based products. Why do you think they call feminine men soyboys? It's full of estrogen.

I would also steer clear of antibiotic, hormone laced meats and dairy as well. Anybody weaned shouldn't be drinking milk anyway. Are you a calf? The elusive obvious that society ignores.

All of you should be investing in this veganism nonsense.

I'm already up 245%

I never though I'd be up that much.

They are killing my food's food. The murderous bastiges!

Back