Can I add an Nvidia GeForce PCIe to my Dell Dimension e310?

I've a Dell Dimension e310, which I've previously upgraded memory to 2GB. Has two HD's(not sure if that means it's dual-core??). My integrated video/audio isn't enough for using audio production software nor for my need to work with dual-monitors. I've acquired another PC that's got a NVIDIA Geforce 6200 TurboCache, using a PCIe x 16. My question...is this card gonna' work? I've tried finding out whether my PCI slots support it, can't figure it out. I've gotten the info that my system does have one PCIexpress, but don't know what this "x16" thingy means for me?

Hi, according to this Cnet Review the Dell Dimension e310 has no possibility to upgrade the graphics card.
The bad: FireWire ports aren't standard; system lacks graphics-card expansion slot.
At the bottom a user has commented:
Cons: No PCI-e x16 slot for a killer video card -- BUT -- I didn't make sure it had one when I ordered it, so I got just what I paid for , which is a PCI-e X1 slot. That PCI-e X1 slot is now holding an excellent ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Card.

thanks for your help...

I'm actually thinking of ditching the Dell and building a new PC, using the extra PC's "good stuff", like the GeGorce Turbocache video card...Now I've got to start researching how the heck to get ALL of the hardware to jive!
Thanks again, lopdog!
AC

No problem. BTW, the GeForce 6200 was released in 2004, if I'm not wrong, so if you are going to build a new PC maybe you should consider a more recent graphics card.

PCI video cards are old and outdated, but since you have PCI slots you might consider getting a PCI card as the simplest route. Although you will pay a lot more for the card than a low end PCie card, and probably still have lower performance.

If you decide to build or rebuild, I can't think of anything you would want to carry over to a new system. except perhaps the optical drive - which would only cost about $20 to $30 to replace anyway. And unfortunately at the low end, it is usually cheaper to get a store bought system than to build, when you add in the cost of the operating system.

Back