Crysis Remastered coming to all platforms, including Switch

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Highly anticipated: If you have wondered what Crysis would look like on current-generation hardware, wonder no more. Developer Crytek just announced that it is remastering the game for PS4, Xbox One, PC, and almost unbelievably, the Nintendo Switch.

It was only Tuesday when we reported on a rumor that a new Crysis game might be on the way. The speculation came from a cryptic tweet from the long-dormant Crysis account that only read, "Receiving data." There was no way of knowing if it was referencing a new game or a remaster, let alone if there was really anything in the works at all.

As it turns out, not only is there a Crysis title in the works, we now know it is a remaster. If that were not enough, it is headed to all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch. The developer announced the game shortly after it accientally leaked the teaser website online then quickly pulled it.

Crytek had inadvertently posted a Crysis Remastered website sometime between Wednesday and Thursday this week. The site was quickly taken down, but not before Twitter user lashman was able to grab some screenshots and assets from the page.

A new Crysis Remastered logo was found as well as a splash screen showing the game is coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. A screenshot of the site's cookie policy was posted as well as the "Coming Soon" page.

"Crytek's ground-breaking, critically acclaimed first person shooter is back!" reads the coming soon message. "Crysis Remastered is coming to PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch — the game's debut on a Nintendo platform."

The message was preceded by "Please, use this one:" indicating that there were multiple versions of copy ready for the webmaster to post.

Two minutes before going to post about the leak, Crytek officially announced Crysis Remastered via Twitter and went live with the website, confirming the rumors were all true.

Knowing now that the game is coming, the question still remains whether Crytek can optimize the graphically intensive game to run decently on Switch hardware. Crysis is notoriously resource intensive with even Nvidia quipping, "**turns on supercomputer**."

No release date has been set, but reports of Nintendo Switches catching fire are forthcoming.

Permalink to story.

#1 STORY

Crysis doesn't need to be remastered. CRYSIS needs to be reimagined.

The story was initially about the US Government sending soldiers in high-tech body armor against North Koreans. But then it morphed into a battle against space aliens in the same way the Far Cry series took a turn near the game's midpoint towards "mutants" ala Island of Dr. Moreau. What was "my personal war" in a sandbox against North Korea's finest, got dulled down into shooting uninteresting aliens with an ice crystal gun.

Crysis is at its best when it's unapologetic about its "US vs. Them" nationalistic violence.

Crysis Warhead kept the alien nonsense to a minimum and turned the North Koreans up to 11, which ultimately made it a better game for play, but not so tightly knit as the storyline of the original.

Crysis 2 put helmets on all the enemies to make processing simpler and enemies became less distinct and interesting. I just hope to God they'll allow us to simply fight real flesh and blood people so the game engine can show off the details it can pull off with faces.

More than anything: they need to answer the main questions: "who am I fighting " and "why am I fighting them" which is something they've done better with in Far Cry 3(Pirates) , 4(Imperialists) and even 5 (Apocalyptic Calvanist with White Supremacist iconography and a Branch Dividian/David Koresh-like guy as a leader).

Crysis 2 and 3 were the worst in terms of story. The entire game's plot devolved into some crap about post-human warrior-isms as the nanosuit itself evolved from a piece of armor into a semi-organic organism.

Why can't the game just be about using a high tech suit to kill people?

#2 GRAPHICS

Cryengine 3 was not as good an engine Cryengine 2 Hopefully 2020 technology will prove me wrong.

It's important to keep in mind that the entire point of this game was to produce a tech demonstrator for Cryengine2 that catered to enthusiasts first and provided a decent game second. It's designed for us to justify building a monster rig to play it.

That entire aspect is lost on the consoles which have a standardized and corporatized experience.

What exactly are they gonna throw at us? I would imagine the game will be designed to run with 4K HDR with some level of Direct X Ray Tracing to justify Nvidia's RTX lineup and the consoles adoption of ray tracing, but it obviously won't be "too demanding" since most people didn't go out (like I did) and buy a Core i9 Extreme or a 2080Ti - and many think just having 16GB DDR4 is "good enough".

But I also can't imagine they'll make the requirements too friendly: such as for users with a Core i5 and GTX 1060 (which is actually the most registered spec on STEAM).

Are they going to give me a game that justifies my hardware expenditures and my Curved 1440p 34" monitor? Or will they push spec demands higher?

If you have a 34" curved gaming monitor or a 4K monitor and you try to run Crysis right now using a 1080/Ti or newer RTX (anything) you can easily run that game in 1080p, 1440p or 4K with maximum settings applied.

I played it on both my 34" and my 15" laptop (on vacation) along with Warhead and Crysis 2.

The games looked absolutely beautiful.

The water effects - especially on the beach during daytime look photorealistic.

With the exception of enemies that don't have gore zones and minimal blood lettings, the graphics rendering North Korean soldiers were still better looking than what you get in new Call of Duty MW games even with RTX on.

#3 CONTROL

Considering Crysis has already been successfully simplified for the gaming controller which basically has you see-sawing between CLOAK and ARMOR on the shoulder buttons while dashing is handled with a click of the thumbstick ala Call of Duty, I see no need for the more complex Mouse wheel function selector which isn't as intuitive or as quick.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... first thought was that they must need a decent cash in (I don't remember their recent games doing too well).

But also, I do remember playing Crysis several times over because it is a great and fun game on the PC. Customizing weapons on the fly was a relatively new concept back then, open-world with the physics running that well was unheard of, and there were plenty of bad*** moments to be had.

So, maybe their timing is smart. I might even consider buying it if they do it justice. Might even boot up the original this weekend just for fun lol

Oh hell, I can already hear it.

"But can it run Crysis Remastered"

Maybe if they cut out all the crap from the original (about half the game), add new concepts and ideas, and most importantly make sure it is horribly unoptimized it could work.

Among the most overrated fps games of all time. It was a pretty game with technically ground breaking graphics for the time, but in every other category, utterly mediocre.

If they would fix optimalization - AKA not make it so you had to have 7GHz CPU, they would improve graphic details, used power shortcuts as Crysis 3 did then I am sold.
I know there are many dowright cruel missions like that on VTOL, but it's still a good game that would deserve bugs/optimalization ironed out.

I think it's worth noting the original Crysis still runs quite badly even on today's top end PC's because the game was coded for extremely fast single threaded performance.

I guess they'll use their latest CryEngine, getting around all the issues the first CryEngine had. I wonder if they'll show off their Ray-Tracing tech that doesn't need RTX cores. When they showed it off last year it looked quite promising.

Like Hollywood, the gaming industry has run out of ideas and remakes are the foreseeable future. No talent, no creativity, no ingenuity needed, just a refresh should calm the people and keep wanting for more (of anything).

I think it's worth noting the original Crysis still runs quite badly even on today's top end PC's because the game was coded for extremely fast single threaded performance.

I ran the original Crysis without any mods on maximum settings at 1920x1080p using a Core i7 7820Hk + GTX 1060 mobile + 16GB DDR4.

I played through the entire game from beginning to end - and then did the same with Crysis Warhead...and then did the same with Crysis 2 whilst on vacation in the Philippines.

I experienced no issues of framerate drops or slowdown whatsoever.

Attachments

• 93783325_2342606732715874_3893162526954749952_o.jpg
    93783325_2342606732715874_3893162526954749952_o.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm conflicted, all I really wanted for years was the original to be tweaked to run better multi threaded.

Obviously Crytek need cash and the easiest thing is just to milk the old hits with minimal effort. If they do a proper remaster and fix all the fundamental flaws of the original (weak enemy design, weak AI) then it could be a glorious bit of nostalgia.

I already have the creeping feeling it's just a bit of a cash grab though. If you want to know what it'll look like just see Hunt: Showdown, imagine less hillbillies and more aliens

I ran the original Crysis without any mods on maximum settings at 1920x1080p using a Core i7 7820Hk + GTX 1060 mobile + 16GB DDR4.

I played through the entire game from beginning to end - and then did the same with Crysis Warhead...and then did the same with Crysis 2 whilst on vacation in the Philippines.

That's Crysis AgnesWarhead

What I really need is the Alienware UFO.

I want to be able to run PC new releases better than Switch and without Nintendo censorship.

Like Hollywood, the gaming industry has run out of ideas and remakes are the foreseeable future. No talent, no creativity, no ingenuity needed, just a refresh should calm the people and keep wanting for more (of anything).
You missed the whole indie gaming scene there :D

Prepare for obscene amounts of Raytracing (think global plus tracking huge number of jumps) as they will make sure that it lives upto the memes.

I would rather prefer if they added a predator like blade so stealth kills become much more satisfying.

They could also add proper enemy compound mechanism and exploration incentives like newer Far cry games. More wild life, higher number of enemies, proper destruction physics (like Red Faction), more super enemies, maybe ability to use super strength and use it to bat the enemy soldier with a tree etc....

But coming back to reality, I think we will just get a 4k texture pack and ray tracing.

Last edited:
The real groundbreaking game from me was FarCry. That moment when you first emerged from the rusty concrete bunker out onto hillside in a tropical paradise and could see all this jungle and bright sky and sea stretching away for miles... Crysis was just an iteration on this. I enjoyed them both, but FarCry came from nowhere from a little-known developer and graphically just blew everyone (and everyone's graphics cards!) away.

Last time I played through was a couple of years ago when I was testing out overclocking on my 8700k and found the game was more stable the higher the clock speed. I think my average FPS was 130ish at 1440p but easily dropped when things started exploding. GPU has nothing to do with it these days, my 1080Ti was at 30% usage at times.

Then you put this in perspective, I can run modern games like CoD / Battlefield / Metro and the Witcher at similar frame rates with less drops, then you look at games from that time period, you realise Crysis does still run poorly.

Sure modern PC's have made the game easily playable, but when you put into perspective its age, games of that time period and how well modern games run, it was just poorly programmed from the start.

I love it when great games are remastered. I played all episodes of crysis many times over and over again. I am surely going to buy this.

Back