Email links won't link all of a sudden ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been overrun with viruses, spyware and the such and am just completely the removal process. However, now my links that are in an email message will try to link, but only to a blanmk page. I've tried several different email links (all educational and universities sites), but nothing will connect. Could be something to do with all the protective servcies I've added?

Thanks, jdnaf

The action to take when you hit an email link is typically setup within the browser you are using.

If you use IE try this within IE. Select Tools -> Options. Click the Programs tab. Set the email entry for the program you want Windows to use when you click the email link.

I'd check this setting first to see if it has been changed/change it back

I checked what you mentioned above, and everything is where it should be "Outlook Express." Any other ideas?

the first question is "Can you send and receive email using just OE?"

Yes, I use OUtlook, and all the email works as usual. It's just the link. At first (the day before spyware removal) it began not even repsonding to the link at all, after preliminary removal, it responds, but doesn't seem able to transfer the url and goes to a blank page. I have to cut and paste the url off an email (like the one I recieved for your question on email) to go. Does that help. I used to use Microsoft Outlook, but bought a new modem and set the old one up as a slave, but them moved to OE. No problems though, except the url link not tranferring ~

"Yes, I use OUtlook, and all the email works as usual"
" I used to use Microsoft Outlook, but bought a new modem and set the old one up as a slave, but them moved to OE."

Clarify. Outlook Express and Outlook are two different email clients. If appears you made a change from Outlook Express to Outlook. You will need to rest the default email as instructed.

NOTE: you cannot use the word "Outlook' to refer to Outlook Express. It's doesn't.

As for this- "I have been overrun with viruses, spyware and the such"- why is this happening? Do you have a current anti-virus program, updated and used to scan often? Do you have at least 2 spyware/adware programs, updates right before each scan? What behavior is allowing this type of malware? Do you have a firewall?

I ask because unless you can identify why this is happening, it's going to keep happening.

Bobbye ~
Sorry about the misinformation, I am on OE and the program is set for that. I doublechecked that again.

Viruses, spyware, malware ~ WHY? We replaced out modem, and did not reinstall our virus protection, though we did have a firewall and spybot. I have completed the preliminary Virues/Spyware/Malware removal instructions posted on anothre thread and am waiting for a response to the logs (and some of the problems I had downloading some of the recommendations. Currently I have Avast antivirus, AVG antispyware, spybot, though I would not get Ad-Aware to download. Everything seems to be running SO much better, though I need a follow up the logs (Posted on a separate thread elsewhere). But, I'm still puzzled about the email link not transferring to the "address" in the bar.

jd

Bobbye caught something in your response i missed in skimming it through. Currently, (i.e.right now) are you using
  • Outlook, or
  • Outlook Express?
They are two different email clients. And your answers seem to keep switching back and forth.

Your answer yesterday, 5:27pm
  • Begins with "Yes, I use Outlook"
  • And the same answer ends with "I used to use Microsoft Outlook"

Which of the two are you currently using? And which of the two is the default email client set for?

Also i don't really follow what you're saying about adding a new modem and "making one slave" but it shouldn't have any bearing to your problem, i.e. the email client you are using and getting your email links to work.

"We replaced out modem, and did not reinstall our virus protection,"

You may have thought you had some reason not to do this then, but hopefully you learned your lesson. Are you using the program with the full name of "Spybot search & Destroy"? I ask because some users plug only the word 'spybot' into a search and choose the first one they see- which is a rogue program and "not" Spybot Search & Destroy.

Here is the fix for the link problem:

If you click on a hyperlink page and only a blank window appears,

Go to Start> Run > type ‘regsvr32 urlmon.dll> Enter> Okay
(NOTE: there is a space after regsvc32, don’t use quotes)

If that single change does not resolve the problem, repeat the process by running regsrv32 with the following dll files.
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

There have been several instances where the previous tip using regsrv32 does not solve the problem with hyperlinks not working.
In this case try:

Open Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options > Programs> click on Reset web Settings.

Who are you addressing this question/comment to? Obviously in replacing the "Modem" something affected the anti-virus program because it is stated that "we did not replace our anti-virus protection."

I said nothing about using "the other modem as a slave". That would seem to indicate replacing a hard drive, not a modem. However, that didn't come from me.

I also think the point needed to be made to take care in using the word "Outlook" as a short version of Outlook Express- it isn't!

LookinAround said:
Bobbye caught something in your response i missed in skimming it through. Currently, (i.e.right now) are you using
  • Outlook, or
  • Outlook Express?
They are two different email clients. And your answers seem to keep switching back and forth.

Your answer yesterday, 5:27pm
  • Begins with "Yes, I use Outlook"
  • And the same answer ends with "I used to use Microsoft Outlook"

Which of the two are you currently using? And which of the two is the default email client set for?

Also i don't really follow what you're saying about adding a new modem and "making one slave" but it shouldn't have any bearing to your problem, i.e. the email client you are using and getting your email links to work.

Bobbye

Don't be so defensive! My post wasn't addressed to you. It was referring you!

Read it again. Only this time, think of it as being addressed to jdnaf , the thread originator.

Had come back to my computer, saw the thread on my screen, and posted. Didn't realize till after posting it was already 1hr 20mins old and you and i must've been typing our posts at the same time.

So now let's forget about it and go have a virtual brewski together :grinthumb

Thanks for clarifying that! I have been jumped on by a couple of TechSpot members here- Looks like you and I have been here for about the same time. Sometimes, it isn't clear who a post is being addressed to!

We're clear- thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back