GeForce GTX 760 Review: Mainstream Performance

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/686-geforce-gtx-760/]https://www.techspot.com/review/686-geforce-gtx-760/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Steve, so if this is the direct successor to the GTX 660 - would there be a GTX 760 Ti?

This looks quite impressive, looking forward to the 750. I was originally planning to buy two GTX 650 Ti Boost, but the way the last 700 series launches have been performing, I think two GTX 750s will be the perfect choice for me.

Good review.

The conclusion should mention something about the Vram difference in the cards and the 7950 should overclock more than the 760 card from what I saw in this review.

Why did they lower the core count? If there will be no 760ti, what happened to the rumored 670 1344 core replacement. Nvidia will release a 760ti hopefully, or it will be foolish since the goal of the 760 will be to combat the 7950, which will just improve with the 8000series

Why do they always show a Gainward? we don't really have these available thru normal channels. These cards are over clocked and reworked pcb's not the everyday cards we buy

Gotta say, the performance of this card is nice, its putting Games that at one point were hard to run in anything but dual card/expensive configurations playable at 1080p while keeping a solid 60. Plus that gainward cooler once again is such an awesome cooler. I just wish that it was a dual slot design on this one being its only 2 fans (Compared to the 770 one being 3 fans), but still an awesome cooler.

Good review.

The conclusion should mention something about the Vram difference in the cards and the 7950 should overclock more than the 760 card from what I saw in this review.

Thank you. As for the VRAM it doesn’t really matter which is why we didn’t talk about it. These cards can really only handle 1920x1200 and at that resolution using high quality settings that they can handle you are not going to max out 2GB of RAM. If you went more than two cards then maybe on a multi-monitor setup but for 99% of cases it’s irrelevant.

Why do they always show a Gainward? we don't really have these available thru normal channels. These cards are over clocked and reworked pcb's not the everyday cards we buy

Gainward send us cards and they are bloody nice ones at that. Reworked PCB’s, upgraded coolers and factory overclocking are ‘everyday cards’, these are no different from examples you will see from eVGA, Asus or Gigabyte. TechSpot is also on the world wide web and we get readers from all over the world so just because they are not at your local computer store does not mean that is the case for everyone. I can buy them here in Australia no worries.

I really dont see how this can compete with the "next gen" 8950 if it merely beats the 7950. Hopefully drivers can fix that.

Steve, Why is the con only about Gainward? Are there any more general cons about the card that got it an 85 as opposed to a >90?

Good review.

Thank you. As for the VRAM it doesn?t really matter which is why we didn?t talk about it. These cards can really only handle 1920x1200 and at that resolution using high quality settings that they can handle you are not going to max out 2GB of RAM. If you went more than two cards then maybe on a multi-monitor setup but for 99% of cases it?s irrelevant.

Gainward send us cards and they are bloody nice ones at that. Reworked PCB?s, upgraded coolers and factory overclocking are ?everyday cards?, these are no different from examples you will see from eVGA, Asus or Gigabyte. TechSpot is also on the world wide web and we get readers from all over the world so just because they are not at your local computer store does not mean that is the case for everyone. I can buy them here in Australia no worries.

Overall great review Steve, just as usual. On a side note, I can also get Gainwards in Switzerland or Canada.

BUT! Why isn't the 770/780 included in the benchmarks? I would like to see how much performance difference there is in the price range. I'm sorry if you mentioned it in your article, but I skimmed through some of it.

Overall great review Steve, just as usual. On a side note, I can also get Gainwards in Switzerland or Canada.

BUT! Why isn't the 770/780 included in the benchmarks? I would like to see how much performance difference there is in the price range. I'm sorry if you mentioned it in your article, but I skimmed through some of it.

He is using the reference 770s and 780s. The Gainward is considered aftermarket.

I want Gainward's to be available in the US, those coolers are a great design idea. I can't emphasize enough how much I love the idea of removable fans, such easy cleaning.

So in conclusion we see once more that just buying a used 660/650 Ti from ebay for <200$ and doubling up your existing card is far better than a single brand new 760?

Or did I miss something here?

Steve, so is this the direct successor to the GTX 660 -would there be a GTX 760 Ti? This looks quite impressive, looking forward to the 750. I was originally planning to buy two GTX 650 Ti Boost, but the way the last 700 series launches have been performing, I think two GTX 750s will be the perfect choice for me.

This card is Nvidia's last 700 series launch for the year.

[CENTER]
intro2_small.jpg
[/CENTER]

Why did they lower the core count? If there will be no 760ti, what happened to the rumored 670 1344 core replacement
Canned. With vendor OC'ed GTX 760's equaling the GTX 670, and the GTX 770 effectively moving into the 670's price segment, it seems that Nvidia didn't see the need for a GTX 760 Ti. There's always the possibility that a 1344 core variant might arrive...but I'd see the detriment of cannibalizing GTX 770 sales a greater issue for Nvidia than any AMD direct competition.

I really don't see how this can compete with the "next gen" 8950
It doesn't need to. One of the cards is available...one is not.

By the time the HD 8000 series arrive, it's probably a safe bet that a fully functional (2880 core) Titan will debut, moving the present Titan, GTX 780, and GTX 770 down a notch in the pricing segments - in which case, an HD 8750 could well be countered (at least performance wise) by the GTX 770 playing out the string for GK 104 for a few months until GM 104 arrives.

It's pretty safe to assume that AMD will bring the HD 8000 series online before Maxwell, but that is the way of how Nvidia and AMD have staggered product launches in recent years. One treads water whilst the other basks in the limelight. Strangely enough, this coincidental occurrence benefits both companies- suckering people in with largely unnecessary upgrades, and fueling forum wars regarding the need for speed in some graphics orientated version of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Aw god :(, so close, well... I'll stick to the plan then. Thx for the info DBZ -nice last paragraph infer by the way, we have nothing to do but wait.

The price point! Costs the same as 660 Ti, beats it, and will probably drop five or ten when it's not "HOT" anymore. I've been following a pretty pattern of 8600GT... 260... 560Ti... was waiting for this and it doesn't actually disappoint.

I ponied up for the GTX 780, and it's a great card, I upgraded from a GTX 660. Honestly, the 660 was a great card for $200 and if the 760 improves on that and stays close to it on price, you'll have a card that can play almost any game on max settings. I'll say this, games like Crysis and both Metros are like different games with the settings cranked all the way up, I couldn't believe the difference. But it's a hefty price to pay for that added benefit if my budget was a concern, I'd go for a 760 all day long.

This card is Nvidia's last 700 series launch for the year.

[CENTER]
intro2_small.jpg
[/CENTER]

Canned. With vendor OC'ed GTX 760's equaling the GTX 670, and the GTX 770 effectively moving into the 670's price segment, it seems that Nvidia didn't see the need for a GTX 760 Ti. There's always the possibility that a 1344 core variant might arrive...but I'd see the detriment of cannibalizing GTX 770 sales a greater issue for Nvidia than any AMD direct competition.

It doesn't need to. One of the cards is available...one is not.

By the time the HD 8000 series arrive, it's probably a safe bet that a fully functional (2880 core) Titan will debut, moving the present Titan, GTX 780, and GTX 770 down a notch in the pricing segments - in which case, an HD 8750 could well be countered (at least performance wise) by the GTX 770 playing out the string for GK 104 for a few months until GM 104 arrives.

It's pretty safe to assume that AMD will bring the HD 8000 series online before Maxwell, but that is the way of how Nvidia and AMD have staggered product launches in recent years. One treads water whilst the other basks in the limelight. Strangely enough, this coincidental occurrence benefits both companies- suckering people in with largely unnecessary upgrades, and fueling forum wars regarding the need for speed in some graphics orientated version of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

True. Good points.

Great Review.

However, I'm confused about why the GTX 670 and 770 weren't included in the review. I would've liked to see how the 760 compares to the card(s) priced next above it.

Great Review.

However, I'm confused about why the GTX 670 and 770 weren't included in the review. I would've liked to see how the 760 compares to the card(s) priced next above it.

The GTX 760 is a $250 card, the GTX 770 is a $400 card. I don't see why we would include high-end graphics cards in a mid-range GPU article. We have to draw the line somewhere, if we include the GTX 770 then we should include the Radeon HD 7970/7970 GHz Edition and then probably the GTX 680 and before you know if the graph is twice the size ;)

The Radeon HD 7950 seems like the most direct competitor or the GTX 760 and we already know where that stands when compared to more expensive graphics cards such as the GTX 770.

The GTX 760 is a $250 card, the GTX 770 is a $400 card. I don't see why we would include high-end graphics cards in a mid-range GPU article. The Radeon HD 7950 seems like the most direct competitor or the GTX 760 and we already know where that stands when compared to more expensive graphics cards such as the GTX 770.

Fair enough, I get that the jump is large. I just thought that it would make sense to include all 3 of nvidia's 700 series cards in the review (especially since it's the last 700 series launch for the year). I mean, you included the 660 ti in the 780 review, so including a 770 and a 670 in a 760 review isn't too extreme.

It would also be nice to know what the performance increase a 60% price increase will get you. I guess I'll just have to go through the two reviews and work it out for myself ;)

Just compare the Frame Rates/Times in the other GTX reviews to see where they stand, the difference in drivers in such a short time should not make much of a difference.

Back