GeForce GTX 780 Review: The Titan Descendant

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/675-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780/]https://www.techspot.com/review/675-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

What the price! Two $300 cards are faster by a healthy margin, and its not even new architecture, honestly disappointed with this thing. What happened to developing new architectures every couple years, it seems now they try to stretch out what they have as long as they can. I'm more interested in seeing what AMD comes out with to compete with this thing, I'm sure it won't be $650 and within a couple percent performance wise.

I'll be sticking with my GTX 670s for the foreseeable future. They powerful enough to run every game in library at the max resolution with all the eye-candy turned on at very playable framerates.

AMD only came up with re-branding their 7x series and call it 8x, the kind of "new" product AMD is good at making. HD 8970 is identical to HD 7970 in every respect.

However, looking at prices now, it seems that 2 x HD 8970 in Crossfire will offer the best money-to-performance value. One should be able to pick one up for under $400.

AMD only came up with re-branding their 7x series and call it 8x, the kind of "new" product AMD is good at making. HD 8970 is identical to HD 7970 in every respect.

However, looking at prices now, it seems that 2 x HD 8970 in Crossfire will offer the best money-to-performance value. One should be able to pick one up for under $400.
Pfft please the HD 9970 is miles more better and cheaper get that one!...

The 780 has what kind of drivers? I would prefer to see stable 100% working updated drivers for the reviews before taking the jump and saying its just 20-40% increase in speed as it could actually be 70% increase in performance with stable 100% working updated non beta/alpha drivers.

says the person talking about a product which hasn't been released or benchmarked.

The product has been officially specced up, and it is 1-to-1 with 7970, so one should have reasonable expectations about its performance. As of lately, given how shameful it is to just re-brand products, while the competition makes real updates, there is a rumor the product may never see the light of day, postponing for the 9x series which is far away at present.

Awesome card, a bit disappointed but not exactly surprised by the pricing. And to think AMD took a lot of flak for pricing the 7970 at $549 at launch...

My theory for the high price is because Nvidia isn't going to getting any money from console contracts so they're charging us higher to make up for the loss. Hopefully the 760 prices are more appropriate because I really want one.

I'm still rocking a 480 and game at 2560x1600 just fine, but without max settings. This may be exactly what we needs *my precious*.

What happened to developing new architectures every couple years, it seems now they try to stretch out what they have as long as they can.

That's actually pretty much how its been for a while. New architectures have been being released about every 2 years. The G92 architecture went from 2006 to 2008, the whatever-the-architecture-name is for the 200 and 300 series went from 2008 to 2010, the Fermi architecture went from 2010 to 2012, etc.

I would assume this process takes a lot of time and effort from an R&D perspective. Factor in quality control, corporate input, marketing, and everything else that goes into designing this stuff and it seems to me that a completely new architecture every 2 years is really impressive.

Back on subject; I really really LOVE Nvidia, but I can't really justify the extra premium that they seem to run compared to AMD. Depending on the pricing of the next HD series, it looks like I'll be sticking with my OC'd 7950 for the forseeable future.

My theory for the high price is because Nvidia isn't going to getting any money from console contracts so they're charging us higher to make up for the loss. Hopefully the 760 prices are more appropriate because I really want one.
Nonsense. When you have the most powerful part you can charge whatever you want. This card will hardly sell in the volumes of the consoles.

Any card above $500 is really a luxury. I consider the Titan a luxury card since the 690 is more powerful for the same price, yet if people want to show off, they buy a Titan. Good con TS.

Damn, I was hoping this would push down the price of the 680 so I could get another one for SLI. I guess that won't be happening for a while.

I am confused about these reviews mostly due to the fact that the Radeon 7990 was shown as a bad alternative to a 7970 Crossfire and worse than the GTX 690. In these tests it appears pretty much a great card.

Damn, I was hoping this would push down the price of the 680 so I could get another one for SLI. I guess that won't be happening for a while.
I think that will occur in a week when the 770 is released since it will basically be a modified 680 core.

I think nVidia just screwed the Titan though. 10% better performance for $350 more? Who would buy that?

Back