Get Prey, Baldur's Gate II, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and more for free with Prime...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Prime Day kicks off early next week but you don't have to wait until then to score some freebies from Amazon. For a limited time, subscribers can lay claim to a handful of quality titles at no added cost.

Prey, the 2017 sci-fi shooter from Bethesda, normally commands around $30 but is absolutely free to claim for Prime members through July 24. Another fan favorite, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, is up for grabs through July 31, while Shovel Knight Showdown is available until August 9.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed will be available to claim soon, but you will have to wait until closer to Prime Day to nab it. The Force Unleashed launched in 2008 and is among the best-selling Star Wars games to date. Just last year, an enhanced remaster of the Wii version was ported to the Nintendo Switch. It is priced at $19.99 directly from Nintendo.

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, meanwhile, is free to claim through July 19. Other lesser-known titles that are also available free of charge include Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!, Revita, Once Upon a Jester, and Roguebook.

Once you've claimed a title through Prime Gaming, it is yours to keep. Just make sure to stake your claim before the offer window closes.

Amazon also has plenty of deals on gaming accessories including half off the JBL quantum 100 wired gaming headset, 44 percent off the Asus ROG Gladius II gaming mouse, and 35 percent off this peculiar typewriter-style mechanical gaming keyboard from Aula. A more conventional board like this unit from yesbeaut can be had for just $18.99 after 37 percent instant savings. Logitech's G Cloud handheld gaming console is down to $299.99 after a 14 percent discount.

Amazon Prime Day kicks off on July 11 at 3 a.m. Eastern and run through the end of July 12. You will need a Prime membership to participate, but you can sign up for a free trial if you do not already have an account.

Permalink to story.

The newer Prey - eh, what a boring game. I guess if you get it for free, good on you. I got a copy of the game some years ago for a cheap sale, still kind of irritated I paid for it. I enjoy the original Prey from 2006 and I'd much rather get a free copy of that game (had I not already had a copy of it).

I already have copies (physical) of NWN (1 and 2, all expansions) and Baldur's Gate II.

Seems like they're offering a few decent games for free for those that have a Prime membership....I don't. I don't like giving Amazon my money. For those of you that do, take advantage of some free games!

"Star Wars: The Force Unleashed will be available to claim soon, but you will have to wait until closer to Prime Day to nab it."

Yeah, uh, more like you'll have to wait UNTIL Prime day since that's what they say. What's up with the bending of the truth?

The newer Prey - eh, what a boring game. I guess if you get it for free, good on you. I got a copy of the game some years ago for a cheap sale, still kind of irritated I paid for it. I enjoy the original Prey from 2006 and I'd much rather get a free copy of that game (had I not already had a copy of it).

I already have copies (physical) of NWN (1 and 2, all expansions) and Baldur's Gate II.

Seems like they're offering a few decent games for free for those that have a Prime membership....I don't. I don't like giving Amazon my money. For those of you that do, take advantage of some free games!

I've snagged it for free already on Epic Games Store. I snagged it again on my Amazon Prime account. So, I think I've claimed it twice to be sure. Why is it such a bad game, sounds like you didn't finish it and if that's the case maybe it's a slow start, fast finish kind of game. I don't know since I have yet to play it.
But you have assaulted my hopes, brought down my joy, lessened my anticipation of the gift I've been so freely given with your piercing words.

Last edited:
I've snagged it for free already on Epic Games Store. I snagged it again on my Amazon Prime account. So, I think I've claimed it twice to be sure. Why is it such a bad game, sounds like you didn't finish it and if that's the case maybe it's a slow start, fast finish kind of game. I don't know since I have yet to play it.
But you have assaulted my hopes, brought down my joy, lessened my anticipation of the gift I've been so freely given with your piercing words.
I put about 15 hours into it, according to Steam. Exploring, using the powers you get and so on was entertaining for a while, but it just got boring. I got tired of playing it and don't care how it ends. It started out a little slow, picked up and then just kind of tapered off in the excitement category for me.

Prey was the last game I ever spent my own money on through Steam back in June of 2019 - a whole $6.43 (after tax). It was shortly after that when Valve dropped the most useless UI update for Steam that broke so many things and because they took so long to resolve many of these UI bugs that prevented games from working I outright stopped supporting Steam.

If you got the game for free, give it a try, maybe you'll find it more entertaining than I did.

I put about 15 hours into it, according to Steam. Exploring, using the powers you get and so on was entertaining for a while, but it just got boring. I got tired of playing it and don't care how it ends. It started out a little slow, picked up and then just kind of tapered off in the excitement category for me.

Prey was the last game I ever spent my own money on through Steam back in June of 2019 - a whole $6.43 (after tax). It was shortly after that when Valve dropped the most useless UI update for Steam that broke so many things and because they took so long to resolve many of these UI bugs that prevented games from working I outright stopped supporting Steam.

If you got the game for free, give it a try, maybe you'll find it more entertaining than I did.
Just to add to my story I purchased the original Prey years ago and I am just now giving it the attention it needs to play and try and finish. Although, I'm not a big fan of over-the-top gore, which the 2006 version tends to bask itself in, I think it is a quality game. The graphics for the time are amazing.
I did realize the same thing you have also. And that is that the most recent Steam updates broke my save games (not really broke, they changed the paths of where save games are stored). It took me a few days to figure this silly XXXX out to where I could use my old savegames again. It was an easy copy'n'paste to the new folder. But because it was so easy, it's like, "Why couldn't Steam help a bit in that"?
Anyway, just ranting. Enjoying the 2006 version, when I finish it I'll ease myself into the newer version and see what's up.

Every game might be fun, if is played how is meant to be.

Prey for me is my favourite game. I played it with a child's mind, exploring finding story clues and taking my time just to be in that world, peaceful at times, chaotic and a broken utopia future type of game.

I think I had 50h in it just because of exploring for hours.

Might seem boring if the graphics seem outdated, but when it appeared back then, it had one of the most dynamic and atmospheric.

In these games you survive, because you are the last one that made it and the humanity is gone extinct because of their expectations... Basically inferior to those of the aliens.

Every game might be fun, if is played how is meant to be.

Prey for me is my favourite game. I played it with a child's mind, exploring finding story clues and taking my time just to be in that world, peaceful at times, chaotic and a broken utopia future type of game.

I think I had 50h in it just because of exploring for hours.

Might seem boring if the graphics seem outdated, but when it appeared back then, it had one of the most dynamic and atmospheric.

In these games you survive, because you are the last one that made it and the humanity is gone extinct because of their expectations... Basically inferior to those of the aliens.
The incredible thing about Prey 2006 is how well the graphics from 17 years ago hold up against todays games. I mean, it doesn't look dated at all to me. But that's just me personally.

The newer Prey 2017 is a great game. The problem is you're comparing it to the older Prey even though the two are in completely different genres.

It's not a pure linear action-shooter game like Prey 2006. It a semi-open world role-playing action-adventure game. It is basically a scifi Dishonored with fighting and story elements from Bioshock and System Shock.

If you treat it like an action-shooter like Prey 2006, you will be disappointed. If you treat it like an exploration scifi Dishonored game with Bioshock & System Shock elements, you will enjoy it.

The developers really should not have called it Prey and called it something like NeuroShock, PsychoShock, or something to show it is similar to the ----shock games.

Last edited:
The newer Prey 2017 is a great game. The problem is when people compare it to the older Prey even though the two are in completely different genres.

It's not a pure linear action-shooter game like Prey 2006. It a semi-open world role-playing action-adventure game. It is basically a scifi Dishonored with fighting and story elements from Bioshock and System Shock.

If you treat it like an action-shooter like Prey 2006, you will be disappointed. If you treat it like an exploration scifi Dishonored game with Bioshock & System Shock elements, you will enjoy it.

The developers really should not have called it Prey and called it something like NeuroShock, PsychoShock, or something to show it is similar to the ----shock games.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

The newer Prey 2017 is a great game. The problem is you're comparing it to the older Prey even though the two are in completely different genres.

Bioshock was pretty good, but the ending was awful. System Shock is okay, I'm not sure what the huge draw was to the franchise, but it was at least entertaining more than Prey (2017) was. Dishonored (the first one) was a fun game, but I don't feel like they did the franchise justice with the second entry...it was okay, but certainly better than Prey (2017).

I think new Prey is boring. Prey (2006) was entertaining for what it was. Prey (2017) isn't. The story wasn't very good, the mediocre combat wasn't very impressive, the exploration grew tedious - I thought the part when you get to get out in space was pretty cool, but the novelty wore off after a while.

I agree that the game shouldn't have been called Prey.

To each their own. You like, great, I don't.

Just to add to my story I purchased the original Prey years ago and I am just now giving it the attention it needs to play and try and finish. Although, I'm not a big fan of over-the-top gore, which the 2006 version tends to bask itself in, I think it is a quality game. The graphics for the time are amazing.
I did realize the same thing you have also. And that is that the most recent Steam updates broke my save games (not really broke, they changed the paths of where save games are stored). It took me a few days to figure this silly XXXX out to where I could use my old savegames again. It was an easy copy'n'paste to the new folder. But because it was so easy, it's like, "Why couldn't Steam help a bit in that"?
Anyway, just ranting. Enjoying the 2006 version, when I finish it I'll ease myself into the newer version and see what's up.
I was so disappointed to see that the 2006 version, a great game with a brilliant gravity twist (albeit with a hurried ending), re-appeared merely as a name, played that 2 or 3 times (2 years ago was the last time according to Steam). They should never have had the same name, and the use of the IP did the new game no favours at all, leaving many of those who loved the original with a negative pre-disposition when it was first revealed.
That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the new one with 80+ hours, played it through 3 times I guess (and restarted it partway once to get a different ending and/or result) - went back and played it fairly recently.

Back