God of War (2018) coming to PC in January

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: On Wednesday, Sony announced that God of War is its latest first-party game to get a PC port. It launches January 14, 2022 with a few new graphical enhancements and control features specific to PC.

The announcement on the PlayStation Blog included some PC screenshots. Pre-order pages are already up on Steam and the Epic Games Store. The former PlayStation exclusive will sell for $49.99. The most notable new addition to God of War on PC is Nvidia DLSS to help maintain high framerates, even at 4K.

The PC version of God of War promises higher resolution shadows, better screen space reflections, Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion (GTAO), Screen Space Directional Occlusion (SSDO), Nvidia Reflex low-latency support, plus compatibility for 21:9 ultra-wide displays. The game will also have fully customizable keyboard and mouse bindings while supporting the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller. Sony has not posted system requirements yet other than it will require 80GB of storage space.

After releasing in 2018, God of War sold over 10 million copies—more than any other game in the series, which started with the original 2005 game of the same name for the PlayStation 2. The 2018 entry won Game of the Year at DICE and the GDC awards, and it also won five Bafta trophies.

God of War joins other former PlayStation exclusives on PC, including Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone. Earlier this summer, Sony confirmed that more of its internally-developed games would come to PC, but only after launching on PlayStation. In September, it added Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to that list of upcoming ports, coming to PlayStation 5 early next year and PC sometime later.

The sequel to God of War, God of War Ragnarok, is also set to launch next year for PS4 and PS5. It will conclude the story started in the 2018 game. Director Cory Balrog admitted that the lengthy development time of the games (around five years) is the main reason Sony isn't doing a third game in the franchise's "Norse saga."

Permalink to story.

Now get Bloodborne and Demon Souls remaster and I won't even think about buying a PS5. Also I prefer FSR since it includes more GPUs, both from AMD and Nvidia.

I'm gonna be that guy...

"The most notable new addition to God of War on PC is Nvidia DLSS to help maintain high framerates, even at 4K. "

It's not 4K though.

Now get Bloodborne and Demon Souls remaster and I won't even think about buying a PS5. Also I prefer FSR since it includes more GPUs, both from AMD and Nvidia.
Well prefer it all you like but only one does a superior job and is actually required to be worked in.

From what I understand someone else can just add fsr for you so I say get dlss included then look at fsr.

I'm gonna be that guy...

"The most notable new addition to God of War on PC is Nvidia DLSS to help maintain high framerates, even at 4K. "

It's not 4K though.

Well let's be clear 4k and uhd and 3840x2160 are all technically different things as well.

The term "4k" isn't necessarily the others

For the world we live in today (the post resolution one) when someone talks about 4k in this way its just as justified.

You know what it means when someone says dlss and 4k.... It's the idea of a pseudo resolution made up temporally to represent an as good as image quality to that of what constitutes " native 4k" quality.

I can say all that or just call it what everyone understands it to be....

Awesome, can't wait. Almost bought a PS4 Pro just to play this. Now give us TLOU and along with already having Days Gone and Detroit Become Human on PC, won't need to think about non-existent PS5 ever again.

Well let's be clear 4k and uhd and 3840x2160 are all technically different things as well.

The term "4k" isn't necessarily the others

For the world we live in today (the post resolution one) when someone talks about 4k in this way its just as justified.

You know what it means when someone says dlss and 4k.... It's the idea of a pseudo resolution made up temporally to represent an as good as image quality to that of what constitutes " native 4k" quality.

I can say all that or just call it what everyone understands it to be....
So to sum it up then not 4K lol. When they say they use DLSS to maintain high frame rates even at 4K what they are saying oh the game is rendered at a lower res than 4K but the device is outputting to our screens at 4K and DLSS is using all of it's fancy tricks to make it appear near to an actual 4K image even though it is not actually a real 4K image. Ok good it thanks for clearing that all up for us...:)

Nice, bringing console game prices to PC for old games. Pass.
There are options if you don't want to pay that kind of money, like waiting for a sale or sailing the high seas...

No one is forcing you to buy day one.

I rather have the game exist on PC, than not be at all.

I've been looking forward to this title on PC and its great to know that it will be available in another few months time. Truth to be told, I am not sure how taxing this title will be on the GPU to require DLSS. It is a PS4 Pro title to begin with, and I am expecting at least 60 FPS @ 4K native or along the line of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Keep em coming Sony! It will be even better on PC than on PS5.

Next Bloodborne Remaster for PC/PS5, at this point it's almost confirmed. Announce it in the December show?

How is it almost confirmed - only rumours? However I hope so. Best Souls game by far.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be that guy...

It's not 4K though.

Yeah it actually is, because resolution is locked at 4K/UHD even tho internal resolution is lower and with DLSS enabled it can easily look better than native 4K. If you don't believe this (most non-RTX owners don't...) then read this; https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outriders-dlss-performance

When DLSS is integrated properly, it's the single most insane GPU feature I have ever seen. FSR is good but does not come close. Tried both several times. DLSS is sharper and has less artifacts in general; Image is way more crisp. Obviously I have tried DLSS way more because it's in 100+ AAA games by now. DLSS 1.0 sucked tho. Night and day difference between DLSS 1.0 and DLSS 2.x

Pretty much none of the "next gen consoles" uses native 4K anyway. Dynamic res all over which is worse than locked 4K + DLSS Quality

Last edited:
Yeah it actually is, because resolution is locked at 4K/UHD even tho internal resolution is lower and with DLSS enabled it can easily look better than native 4K. If you don't believe this (most non-RTX owners don't...) then read this; https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/outriders-dlss-performance

When DLSS is integrated properly, it's the single most insane GPU feature I have ever seen. FSR is good but does not come close. Tried both several times. DLSS is sharper and has less artifacts in general; Image is way more crisp. Obviously I have tried DLSS way more because it's in 100+ AAA games by now. DLSS 1.0 sucked tho. Night and day difference between DLSS 1.0 and DLSS 2.x

Pretty much none of the "next gen consoles" uses native 4K anyway. Dynamic res all over which is worse than locked 4K + DLSS Quality

The author did say it's her opinion DLSS looks better and people may feel unprocessed raw look better...so eye of beholder.

But it's still not 4K image

The author did say it's her opinion DLSS looks better and people may feel unprocessed raw look better...so eye of beholder.

But it's still not 4K image
It is a 4K image. The output resolution is 4K. It achieves this from a lower resolution internal image. But the output is still in 4K. That’s the crucial difference between DLSS and just regular upscaling, DLSS renders and draws out a full 4K image with reconstructed details and everything.

Yeah from what I’ve seen FSR is poor compared to DLSS. But DLSS was poor for about 18 months or so before it started improving so FSR just needs time.

I’m currently playing FC6 on an RX580. With FSR on it hits 60 most of the time but it makes the game look horrible, even at ultra quality so I turn it off and just accept an average of about 55 fps.

They do seem to be for different people though, FSR seems to be for old GPUs to scrape 60fps but DLSS seems to be more about giving high end GPU owners yet even more frames to saturate their high refresh rate monitors.

Yeah from what I’ve seen FSR is poor compared to DLSS. But DLSS was poor for about 18 months or so before it started improving so FSR just needs time.

I’m currently playing FC6 on an RX580. With FSR on it hits 60 most of the time but it makes the game look horrible, even at ultra quality so I turn it off and just accept an average of about 55 fps.

They do seem to be for different people though, FSR seems to be for old GPUs to scrape 60fps but DLSS seems to be more about giving high end GPU owners yet even more frames to saturate their high refresh rate monitors.

My experience with FSR is that it's blurry. Most DLSS 2.x implemenations are great. As seen here; https://www.techpowerup.com/review/deathloop-dlaa-vs-dlss-vs-fsr-comparison/

Well yeah.. DLSS 1.0 was bad but FSR can't really do what DLSS did. DLSS 2.0 is vastly different form DLSS 1.0 and FSR needs to do the same thing to move forward; Complete rewrite and rethinking of how FSR works.

FSR as it is, can't be improved. FSR just combine features that have existed for many years. You can adjust the percentage and sharpness, which is about it. DLSS 2.0 is so much more, way more advanced and that is why DLSS 2.x is superior and probably will continue to be. DLSS 3.0 will be even better.

DLSS soon gets Ultra Quality Mode and DLAA looks promising too.

Also, FSR might be easier to implement and can even be injected but the results are wonky AF with injecting. This can lead to WORSE performance _and_ visuals. Just google this, tested by several sites and injection is pretty bad. Still needs game per game optimization to work "well"

So while FSR might spread faster going forward, the end-result will be hit or miss. Atleast with DLSS 2.x games, you know it's going to work well.

I have used DLSS 2.x in tons of games by now. Only uses quality mode. Huge performance boost and pretty much identical visuals (some times slightly worse but other times DLSS quality actually improes visuals - it works well as AA solution for example).

Last edited:
Back