GPU Availability and Pricing Update: August 2021

I think there‘s a very simple reason reason for the 3060 vs 3060Ti price situation: Memory. Prices for GDDR6 are quite high and the 3060 has 4 GB more than the 3060Ti.

Over here the 3060Ti is still slightly more expensive but getting a 3060 for just €40 less (€579 vs €619) would be crazy considering the large performance delta between the two.

Why you keep singling out the 6600XT in this current crazy market is beyond me, especially when the 3060 is the far worse value option. Did you guys really get suckered by the official msrp vs actual street prices ?

Don‘t get me wrong - both are way too expensive for what they deliver, but one is less bad.

These ads are blocking some of the text on mobile, so I didn't read it all.

I've already given up. I'm going to buy a new gaming laptop in November when they are doing a lot of sales.

Last edited:
AMD cards are in stock and on the shelves.
The prices are considerably inflated, but they are there. 6900XT Red Devils for $2200 for example.

6700 XT for $1000.
Just sitting there.

The RTX cards are nearly impossible to get. The stores enacted lotteries for them.

My son is waiting for a new gaming PC but unfortunately, he's not going to get one any time soon due to inflated GPU prices. The GTX 1660 Super MSRP is $230, which is around £169, but the cheapest new Palit card available for a pre-order in the UK is £320, which is almost double the MSRP. The MSI card is also available for pre-order at £380. These prices are ridiculous.

"Crypto-currency" is a Ponzi scheme, but I believe vcard developers have a financial stake is keeping it alive.

If the "mining" industry were to collapse, card prices would plummet (natch.) Great for consumers. Not so great for vcard developers.

Even when they've "pretended" to build-in bitcoin mining limitations into the hardware, someone always manages to "leak" a driver that circumvents those limitations.

Card production pricing and "mining" are in direct conflict with one another, and it should be illegal for card producers to profit off the fad/scam, but until "Crypto-currency" is outlawed globally, this problem isn't going away.

Not in 2022. Not ever.

"Crypto-currency" is a Ponzi scheme, but I believe vcard developers have a financial stake is keeping it alive.
I doubt the likes of Visa, Paypal, Microstrategy or Square invest in Ponzi Schemes, or have a financial stake in keeping mining alive.

If the "mining" industry were to collapse, card prices would plummet (natch.) Great for consumers. Not so great for vcard developers.
Every 4 years or so, the crypto market crashes and the second hand market is flooded with cards. Nothing new.

Even when they've "pretended" to build-in bitcoin mining limitations into the hardware, someone always manages to "leak" a driver that circumvents those limitations.
Which is why I was always against any sort of limiter. You should be able to do what you wish with your hardware.

Card production pricing and "mining" are in direct conflict with one another, and it should be illegal for card producers to profit off the fad/scam, but until "Crypto-currency" is outlawed globally, this problem isn't going away.
Ah. The typical "governments should outlaw what I don't like" argument.

Not in 2022. Not ever.
Crypto will never die.

So we are simply focked.

And I don't know why everytime I read this monthly article I feel bad for those who sold their 2080 Ti for $450.

I doubt the likes of Visa, Paypal, Microstrategy or Square invest in Ponzi Schemes, or have a financial stake in keeping mining alive.

I'm not saying crypto is a Ponzi scheme or not, but where there is money to be made the greedy will be found.

Maybe crypto is some kind of long term scam?
Maybe it's a breakthrough method for currency?
Maybe it's something else that's really cool or really crummy.

Regardless, as soon as some people smell a quick way to make a buck, they'll go out of their way to piss on people around them to get rich.

Tax returns = scammers claiming to be IRS
Natural disaster (hurricane Katrina) - folks scammed the government for relief funds
Covid checks = people finding ways to steal them and scam others out of checks
Bitcoin = folks with sway (Musk) can manipulate things up and down to benefit their end goal; which is making more money

Greedy fukers will be greedy fukers.

Why? Why wouldn't digital money companies support a legal scam?

I don't like Ponzi schemes, so Yes,"Governments should outlaw" things "I don't like". "Crypto-currency" has no value if it can't be exchanged for another currency. And the only way to profit off it is to find a bigger sucker willing to pay you more for your Bitcoins than you paid yourself.

THAT is the very definition of a Ponzi scheme.

Why you keep singling out the 6600XT in this current crazy market is beyond me, especially when the 3060 is the far worse value option. Did you guys really get suckered by the official msrp vs actual street prices ?

Simple, seems that they have realized that the nvidia drones are driving hence they must adapt the current mantra “nvidia...good.....AMD.....bad”

Want to see how sad this is?

As a test, I posted a photo of my new 6900xt at PCMR in reddit and received zero upvote and one downvote.

Deleted the post and then posted a photo of my old gtx970 and said I just got this and boom! 1K likes in less than 1 hour.

Or how all these youtubers always arrange their desks, benches, etc to always display a nvidia card or box.

Honestly, if I didnt knew better, I would say all videos have some nvidia money behind it.

I'm not saying crypto is a Ponzi scheme or not, but where there is money to be made the greedy will be found.

Maybe crypto is some kind of long term scam?
Maybe it's a breakthrough method for currency?
Maybe it's something else that's really cool or really crummy.

Regardless, as soon as some people smell a quick way to make a buck, they'll go out of their way to piss on people around them to get rich.
It's all of those things, depending which crypto we're talking about :) But you're right;
Where's there's money to be made, the greedy will flock to it. That doesn't mean that everyone that flocks to it is greedy though.

Tax returns = scammers claiming to be IRS
Natural disaster (hurricane Katrina) - folks scammed the government for relief funds
Covid checks = people finding ways to steal them and scam others out of checks
Bitcoin = folks with sway (Musk) can manipulate things up and down to benefit their end goal; which is making more money

Greedy fukers will be greedy fukers.
No lie detected. Bitcoin did its thing before the likes of Musk came around though. All markets are pretty much always under manipulation.

"Crypto-currency" has no value if it can't be exchanged for another currency.
This is an empty statement. Nothing in the world has value if it can't be exchanged for something else.

And the only way to profit off it is to find a bigger sucker willing to pay you more for your Bitcoins than you paid yourself.

Not really. Let's quote Investopedia;

Regardless of the technology used in the Ponzi scheme, most share similar characteristics:

1. 1) A guaranteed promise of high returns with little risk
  2. 2) A consistent flow of returns regardless of market conditions
  3. 3) Investments that have not been registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
  4. 4) Investment strategies that are secret or described as too complex to explain
  5. 5) Clients not allowed to view official paperwork for their investment
  6. 6) Clients facing difficulties removing their money

Number 1 is obviously false, because everyone knows Bitcoin is risky
Number 2 is obviously false, because there is no constant flow of returns. The market determines the returns, which is why people regularly lose money inn it
Number 3 is true, BUT, Bitcoin in particular is not a security, and doesn't need to be registered as such.
Number 4 is false.
Number 5 is obviously false, since the Bitcoin ledger is open for everyone to take a look at
Number 6 is also false, since you have complete agency over your Bitcoin, unless you yourself chose to delegate it to a third party like an exchange.

So, pretty much nothing like a Ponzi Scheme.

Finally managed to land a 3080 FTW3 Ultra via an Antonline bundle last week.

clicky poppy for info

I'm keeping the GPU and KB, rest is going to my brother.

Anyone trying to find a 30 series GPU, watch their site. They frequently do EVGA bundles of all 30 series tiers, with pricing coming in at just under retail per component. Cheaper ones will sell out pretty quickly.
The straight 3080 bundle I snagged was up for nearly 2 hours before selling out, their bundle with the ti variant was up for nearly 6.

>"Crypto-currency" has no value if it can't be exchanged for another currency.
>
This is an empty statement. Nothing in the world has value if it can't be exchanged for something else.
I never said "something else". I said "currency". Presently, you can't buy *anything* with crypto except more crypto. Even Musk hedged on buying Tesla's with it to goose the market.
Not really. Let's quote Investopedia;

Regardless of the technology used in the Ponzi scheme, most share similar characteristics:

1. 1) A guaranteed promise of high returns with little risk
  2. 2) A consistent flow of returns regardless of market conditions
  3. 3) Investments that have not been registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
  4. 4) Investment strategies that are secret or described as too complex to explain
  5. 5) Clients not allowed to view official paperwork for their investment
  6. 6) Clients facing difficulties removing their money

Number 1 is obviously false, because everyone knows Bitcoin is risky
Number 2 is obviously false, because there is no constant flow of returns. The market determines the returns, which is why people regularly lose money inn it
Number 3 is true, BUT, Bitcoin in particular is not a security, and doesn't need to be registered as such.
Number 4 is false.
Number 5 is obviously false, since the Bitcoin ledger is open for everyone to take a look at
Number 6 is also false, since you have complete agency over your Bitcoin, unless you yourself chose to delegate it to a third party like an exchange.
I see 6 "checks" there. #1 Investors think it's risk-free (despite volatility as they are told it keeps going up.) That covers #2 as well. You concede #3. On #4, I've yet to read ANYTHING that understandably explains how "mining" works (and the explanations I *have* read sound quite ridiculous.) #5, the entire point of crypto is its secrecy. No "paperwork". #6 brings me back to my original statement of how it's only value is when converted to another currency/dollars. If the entire crypto market were to tank, how do you recover your "investment"? If you compare this to investing in "Stock", then you prove my point of it not being "currency".

Last edited:
Lol...

People think certain cyuptos aren't a scam. There is a reason why one of them has run-away prices.

I managed to buy a Palit dual 3060ti for £545
I've overpaid but it's the lowest they've been in months so I just bit the bullet. I made £260 on a 3080ti that I bought and sold and sold my RX 470 for £110 so I've only paid about £180 for a new card so can't grumble.

Simple, seems that they have realized that the nvidia drones are driving hence they must adapt the current mantra “nvidia...good.....AMD.....bad”

Want to see how sad this is?

As a test, I posted a photo of my new 6900xt at PCMR in reddit and received zero upvote and one downvote.

Deleted the post and then posted a photo of my old gtx970 and said I just got this and boom! 1K likes in less than 1 hour.

Or how all these youtubers always arrange their desks, benches, etc to always display a nvidia card or box.

Honestly, if I didnt knew better, I would say all videos have some nvidia money behind it.
How convenient you deleted the proof so we cant verify what you claim.....

Could it be, just a hint, that the AMD market is just a lot smaller? Perhaps AMD's irregular history in terms of GPU, driver, and price quality has led to a smaller contingent of fans then the consistent Nvidia has?

Or could it be that PCMR just doesnt like rich bois bragging about the scalped GPU they just bought, but do like the scrappy purchases that appears to have gotten a good deal on a decent GPU?
It's mad soo many people are buying GPU's at scalper prices. I think that's what shocked me the most.
A fool and their money are soon parted, and as it turns out the majority of people are damn fools who will dump money on a temporary pleasure.
Why? Why wouldn't digital money companies support a legal scam?

I don't like Ponzi schemes, so Yes,"Governments should outlaw" things "I don't like". "Crypto-currency" has no value if it can't be exchanged for another currency. And the only way to profit off it is to find a bigger sucker willing to pay you more for your Bitcoins than you paid yourself.

You can use bitcoin to buy things. For example, you can use bitcoin to buy software from MS, hardware from newegg, or a car from BMW.

Crypto is as much a ponzi scheme as FAIT currency is.

My worry now is that even when the unusual factors recede, these much higher price tiers will be here to stay. Whether intentional or not, consumers have now demonstrated that a great many of them are willing to pay $1000+ for full-strength cards, and in the high hundreds for mid-range. These prices will be targeted from the get-go on the next go-round. (Although I believe the performance targeted will also be high - consumers have also previously signaled they're more than happy to sit out a generation when the gain isn't worth it.)

My worry now is that even when the unusual factors recede, these much higher price tiers will be here to stay. Whether intentional or not, consumers have now demonstrated that a great many of them are willing to pay $1000+ for full-strength cards, and in the high hundreds for mid-range. These prices will be targeted from the get-go on the next go-round. (Although I believe the performance targeted will also be high - consumers have also previously signaled they're more than happy to sit out a generation when the gain isn't worth it.)
Sadly, that trend started with nvidia rt20 series.

And as you pointed out, people are paying insane amounts of money just to be able to play games, so you can bet that unless demand plummets to or close to zero, these new prices will stay.

How convenient you deleted the proof so we cant verify what you claim.....

Could it be, just a hint, that the AMD market is just a lot smaller? Perhaps AMD's irregular history in terms of GPU, driver, and price quality has led to a smaller contingent of fans then the consistent Nvidia has?

Or could it be that PCMR just doesnt like rich bois bragging about the scalped GPU they just bought, but do like the scrappy purchases that appears to have gotten a good deal on a decent GPU?
Yes.

Back