Heretic looks stunning with this AI-enhanced texture pack

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Using AI neural networks to visually overhaul classic games is a trend that’s picking up momentum and I, for one, couldn’t be happier. Modern titles on consoles like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One look and play great but it’s hard to discredit the simplicity and nostalgia afforded by games of yesteryear.

Now thanks to a dedicated modder, we’ve got yet another classic worth revisiting.

Heretic often gets left out when discussing influential first-person shooters of the 90s. Launched in 1994, it used a modified version of the Doom engine and introduced a number of concepts that would be adopted by future first-person shooters.

An indirect sequel, Hexen: Beyond Heretic arrived a year later and was followed by a direct sequel called Heretic II in 1998.

The AI-enhanced texture pack for Heretic is available to download over at Nexus Mods at just over 100MB in size. As you can see from the screenshots, it looks absolutely fantastic. Props to grandgreed on a job well done.

If you need the original game, that can be had via Steam for less than $5.

Doom, Final Fantasy VII, Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex have also received the AI-enhanced texture treatment in recent memory.

Permalink to story.

Here, all of them demoed...

Also, as far as old games improve, these aren't that impressive, as they do not support RTX, like Quake 2 does, which looks a lot better. Bring RTX into those old titles, and people will be buying them.

Last edited:
I just picked this up after reading pcnthuziast's post. It's pretty good.. lot's of old skool, high speed blasting and level secrets. just like the classics.

That publisher is dope and published another retro shooter called Dusk that is arguably even better than Amid Evil albeit thematically slightly different. Also overwhelmingly positive on Steam on over 3k reviews. It's out of early access and is now a fully polished game that is well worth 20 bucks.

That publisher is dope and published another retro shooter called Dusk that is arguably even better than Amid Evil albeit thematically slightly different. Also overwhelmingly positive on Steam on over 3k reviews. It's out of early access and is now a fully polished game that is well worth 20 bucks.
I actually got Dusk a few weeks back. I like it but I like Amid Evil a bit more as it feels more like Quake, right down to how the rocket jump performs. I like the mix of Hexen and Serious Sam inspired level designs too. It's like a glorious mix of all three games.

Make som parches textures pack ala 480p 720p 1k 2k 4k 8k and post on servers like steam. we dont needing to buy new versions. for that we gan use mods to get that same tings. we dont pay 2 x times for far cry 1-5 doh. game patches is the word. someone just have to make them avable by updates. make rtx into windows xp-10 and then we would be happy. now most of nvidia drivers should be updated to take along with rts lightning textures. many games thats needing a big upgrade. all doom quake duke nukem 1 2 3d forever. all dos titles . nightmare creatures 3d mortal combat warcraft 1 2 3 wow and so on. newerwinter nights 1 2

Back