How much power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hey all,

I was wondering how much power I need to run my system.

Specs:

Core 2 duo E6600
BFG7600GT OC in SLI mode
1x Sata 7200 rpm HDD

Would 450 be okay? Also, whats the difference between the 24 pin PSUs and the 20 pin PSU's? Could I go with a 20 pin PSU on a 24pin mobo?

Cheers :)

Use THIS to calculate how much wattage you need in your PSU. Then get a PSU that's slightly higher than what that calculator suggests, so you have some headroom.

Your motherboard would no doubt be using a 24-pin connector. Most newer power supplies come with 20+4 pin motherboard connector, which means it can be either 20 pin or 24 pin (there's a detatchable 4 pins).

However, it is also possible that your motherboard will also work using a 20 pin connector. It would just leave 4 pins exposed, but still be fully compatible and functional. I know that my 24 pin motherboard works with 20 pin power supplies.

But it sounds like you are looking to buy a new PSU. There aren't many out there nowadays which only have a 20-pin connector. But if by any chance you do use a 20 pin power supply on your 24 pin motherboard, it should also be compatible.

No I think you would need at least 550W. But wattage isn't enough though. You would need a good number of amps on the +12V rail which brings me to that issue. You would need one with at least two rails to make sure the cards get enough power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back