Intel acknowledges Chrome and Edge issues on Alder Lake processors, offers fixes

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Enough Alder Lake owners have recently reported web browser performance problems for Intel to recognize the issue and offer some solutions. The source of trouble is a specific integrated graphics card model, and the company's suggestions are mostly standard troubleshooting.

This week, Intel admitted that recent drivers for its UHD graphics 770 iGPU might cause severe stuttering in Chrome and Edge browsers. Reported issues include very slow scrolling and click responses delayed by around two seconds.

The problem affects 18 12th generation Intel CPUs including multiple 12500, 12600, 12700, and 12900 models. To check your CPU model, head to Settings > System > About. To confirm your GPU model, go to Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings and look under Display information.

Intel first suggests making sure Windows, and your browsers have all the latest updates, which you should do for almost any troubleshooting. Then, you should attempt a clean installation of the Intel graphics drivers. Intel and this website offer generic Intel iGPU drivers, while your motherboard manufacturer's website likely has customized drivers.

If that doesn't work, Intel also says to disable hardware acceleration in the browser experiencing issues. In Chrome, this is under Settings > System, while Edge users will find it under Settings > System and Performance. If your system or browser is installed on an HDD, switching to an SSD might also help, but that would be a drastic and potentially costly step.

Permalink to story.

- Why Intel likes so much to use a lake name on its CPU lines (ex. Raptor lake, Ice lake..)?
- Cause you need a lake, to cool them down.

Ba dum tss

Last edited:
This is why for Intel integrated gpu, I simply use windows update's driver.
It's not Intel latest version but usually much more stable and reliable.
I don't use it for gaming anyway.

“Intels second solution, dont buy a CPU with iGPU”
Yea. Cheaper options suck. Better to be like AMD and make the igpu part of an overpriced APU. Better to buy ATi in 2006 and not have an igpu in a mainstream desktop part until 2022.

Yea. Cheaper options suck. Better to be like AMD and make the igpu part of an overpriced APU. Better to buy ATi in 2006 and not have an igpu in a mainstream desktop part until 2022.
You forgot to mention the part where AMD's igpu is much faster than intel's

I honestly don't see a reason for integrated graphics except office usage. From the begining of my computer builds I avoided anything "on board". Now the LAN and Audio chip get pretty good. But don't beat a dedicated add on card. I still use a Intel 4 ports gigabit PCIE X4 and an Audigy 5 card. Of course with onboard disabled. Had just one CPU with igpu, 4790 I7, but always used it with a dedicated card.

12400F on sale for $154USD on Amazon right now.
Well, offering CPUs without IGP in the middle of a huge graphics card shortage was, and still is, (IMHO), the dumbest ,move Intel has ever made..

Sure, you save 20 bucks, but should you be waiting for the card you desperately want to come down in price, or have a card quit on you, at least the system is operable. You can't, after all, shove that 20 dollar bill unto the PCI-E slot, and get 60 FPS out of it either.
- Why Intel likes so much to use a lake name on its CPU lines (ex. Raptor lake, Ice lake..)?
- Cause you need a lake, to cool them down.

Ba dum tss
That really hasn't been funny since Alder Lake's release.

Ba dum tss.(To coin a phrase)

Obviously you don't like to read articles. Especially those with bad news about shoddy Intel hardware!!

This is why for Intel integrated gpu, I simply use windows update's driver.
It's not Intel latest version but usually much more stable and reliable.
I don't use it for gaming anyway.
I can't speak to this latest driver issue. But through several generations of Intel IGPs, (915, G-31, G-41, H-55, Z-77, & Z-170), I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them..In fact, when Nvidia's drivers screw up or a card fails, I just yank the cable and plug it into the board. Viola, instant success!

Well, offering CPUs without IGP in the middle of a huge graphics card shortage was, and still is, (IMHO), the dumbest ,move Intel has ever made..

Sure, you save 20 bucks, but should you be waiting for the card you desperately want to come down in price, or have a card quit on you, at least the system is operable. You can't, after all, shove that 20 dollar bill unto the PCI-E slot, and get 60 FPS out of it either.

I already have a full system and want to upgrade cpu and board.

That F cpu is for me.

But I do agree, for $20 more, I would always buy the igpu variant. Never know when you need to troubleshoot.

Also helps their price vs performance when being compared to a non AMD APU

Yesterday I watched a YT video from LTT. They were reviewing a new top notch Alder Lake laptop with Intel Evo certificate. When on load, CPU temperature reaches 100 degree Celsius (all fans kicked in). Literally you can cook food on it... :)

Yesterday I watched a YT video from LTT. They were reviewing a new top notch Alder Lake laptop with Intel Evo certificate. When on load, CPU temperature reaches 100 degree Celsius (all fans kicked in). Literally you can cook food on it... :)
Oh no, the fans are running, what do we do now? I kinda think, "where there's a will, there's a way", especially when you're trying to break something.

Let's take a laptop and encode an hour's worth of of 4K video with it. Oh sh!t, it overheated.

Oh no, the fans are running, what do we do now? I kinda think, "where there's a will, there's a way", especially when you're trying to break something.

Let's take a laptop and encode an hour's worth of of 4K video with it. Oh sh!t, it overheated.

:) :) That Alder Lake CPU reached its 100 Celsius after 5 min of full load and was considered to be normal. I just wanted to say, that you can boil some water on Alder Lake. It's a feature, can't you understand? :)

F series has GPU circuitry but it has defects so Intel disables it.

Last edited:
I can't speak to this latest driver issue. But through several generations of Intel IGPs, (915, G-31, G-41, H-55, Z-77, & Z-170), I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them..In fact, when Nvidia's drivers screw up or a card fails, I just yank the cable and plug it into the board. Viola, instant success!
But you can't yank the cable if it's laptop.
Windows 10 used to have Intel igpu driver crash problem.
I don't know about recent versions as I now always postpone feature updates for a year and use windows update driver.

This rubber feet lifts laptop so it gets better air intake.
I use the small ones only at the front (near the hinge).

F series has GPU circuitry but it has defects so Intel disables it.
I understand that bad wafers are the source of the "F" series CPUs, as Intel is obviously trying to get rid of them. That said, I don't understand why people are eager to buy them to save 15 or 20 bucks.

As far as the post extolling the fact that Amazon has the I-5-12400F on sale for $155.00, hell, Micro Center has had the I-5-12400 on sale for $170.00 from the jump. Newegg's price which is, and has always been, higher.

Again, I have the parts ready to build what many here would consider to be a minimalist system, with > $600.00 invested. So no, I didn't cheap out on an "F" CPU, which would gave saved me $20.00 or about 3% of the cost.

:) :) That Alder Lake CPU reached its 100 Celsius after 5 min of full load and was considered to be normal. I just wanted to say, that you can boil some water on Alder Lake. It's a feature, can't you understand? :)
What I understand is that a bunch of AMD fanbois were trying to do all they could to stress an Intel laptop beyond its limits.

CPU temps are going to be quite dependent on laptop case design and cooling capacity, period. Did they try an equivalent AMD CPU under the same conditions? probably not.

Back