Intel Z790 Motherboard Roundup: 11 Motherboards Tested

And people were mad about AM5 pricing... just imagine Z790 pricing now... a end of the line socket released for a bunch of refreshed CPUs...

"Most of these boards have no limit for what Intel calls PL1, a temporary power state. After a certain period, around a minute typically, PL2 kicks in, which is a reduced power state. The Asus and Asrock boards revert to a 253-watt power limit, while the Gigabyte boards limit to 280 watts. MSI, on the other hand, has no power limit for PL1 or PL2, and Asrock has decided to do this with their Nova board, but not the Riptide."

If this is the case, then having those Cinebench scores for each boards would be beneficial.

If you're in the market for a new Intel Z790 motherboard, any of these models will work well – just buy according to your budget and pick the model that offers the features that best suit your needs.
This has always been the case.
Comparing motherboards for performance is not really as useful as when comparing with CPUs.

One of the things I'd like to see in these reviews is: how reliable is the BIOS update process and the updates themselves? I have an ASUS motherboard which was recommended in one article or another, but it did not support the memory speed in the configuration I bought so the memory speed had to be downgraded. I have not yet 2 years later upgraded the BIOS, because the forums all talk about endless problems doing that with bugs coming with the new versions, inability to roll back one you get to a certain level, incompatibility with various drivers, and etc, an endless litany of potential problems I don't want to have to worry about.

Back