iPhone 8 rear glass assessed in SquareTrade breakability test

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple on Friday launched the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, smartphones with modest improvements that are largely defined by their new glass back (to facilitate wireless charging). We already know that the glass panes complicate the repair process but what about everyday durability?

For that, we turn to SquareTrade.

The warranty service provider recently published its iPhone 8 breakability video. In a shock to nobody, glass is still fragile as the iPhone 8 cracked on the first drop on all sides. Needless to say, if you’re concerned about damage, a case is probably a good idea.

As you’ll see in the clip, the iPhone 8 earned a breakability score of 67 (the higher the number, the more prone it is to damage). The larger iPhone 8 Plus was found to be a bit more fragile, earning a breakability score of 74. By comparison, Samsung’s Galaxy Note 8 scored an 80 and is labeled as a “high risk.”

Thumbnail courtesy CNET

Permalink to story.

Love that video .... once again reminds me why I won't spend more than $100 for a "smart phone" and sure has heck will never lay out that nearly $1,000 for any phone ...... hey, is there any truth to the rumor that AT&T is bringing out a rotary dial smart phone??? Oh, my heart be still!!!!!

Manufacturers DON'T CARE. If they did, they would be more concerned about how well it works, versus how
"stylish & trendy" it is! They slap a cheap piece of glass on it, then charge out the rear if you are stupid enough
to drop it.
Perhaps instead of carrying these over priced toys in their HANDS 24/7, put em in a case, carry them in your
purse/bag or whatever. Your life isn't going to end, if you miss a tweat/like or text message.
Sometimes, when I have to be on a college campus, if it wasn't illegal, it would be nice to walk around with a
cell phone jammer with a 10meter range, just to watch the shocked look on some of these kids faces.

Love that video .... once again reminds me why I won't spend more than $100 for a "smart phone" and sure has heck will never lay out that nearly $1,000 for any phone ...... hey, is there any truth to the rumor that AT&T is bringing out a rotary dial smart phone??? Oh, my heart be still!!!!!
Don't be so skeptical. 10 cents worth of glass on a $1000 gadget is a real bargain. Any justification to throw that kind of money away on a phone is good justification.

I wouldn't buy a glass backed or rounded front glass phone and I'm pretty careful. I always use my S4 mini in a case, not even a scratch on the front glass so far in 4 years.
Treat your phone like your genitals, carefully! lol

What I want to know is why more manufactures don't use the same "unbreakable glass" used in the Moto Droid Turbo 2?

Back