Jensen Huang says it's going to be an amazing season for gaming as Nvidia revenue jumps...

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: The next few months are going to be a boom time for the games industry, and nobody knows this better than Jensen Huang. The Nvidia boss said his company is “expecting a really large second half for gaming,” referring to the second half of 2020.

Speaking on a conference call after Nvidia posted its quarterly financial results (via VentureBeat), Huang highlighted how the pandemic has seen the number of people playing games, and the hours spent on them, skyrocket. Spending on titles also reached a record high earlier this year. He added that the industry is benefiting from all the different ways people can now play games, from traditional consoles and PCs to smartphones and streaming services.

The rest of the year will be a good one for gamers: there’s the launch of AMD’s Big Navi-based cards, the PlayStation 5, and the Xbox Series X. Nvidia, of course, will be releasing its consumer Ampere products, and leaks suggest the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 will both be beasts that pack plenty of GDDR6X memory, though the latter could be monstrously expensive.

“It’s going to be the most amazing season ever,” said Huang.

While it’s rival AMD who provides most of the hardware for the PS5 and XSX, Nvidia supplies chips for the Nintendo Switch. Huang noted how the hybrid machine is fast becoming one of the best-selling platforms in Nintendo history.

Nvidia beat expectations during its second fiscal quarter, with revenue up 50 percent year-over-year to $3.87 billion. Gaming revenues were up to $1.65 billion, a 26 percent jump from a year earlier.

Permalink to story.

“It’s going to be the most amazing season ever,” said Huang.

Can‘t argue with the man on this point - with so many new toys being released - GPU, CPU, consoles... this will be very interesting.

*He probably only meant his own GPU but why argue when the statement itself is correct.

Isn't that just the same as congratulating Apple on fleecing their iSheep to the tune of 40% margins, yet here Nvidia is fleecing their NSheep to the tune of *66%* margins.

That's a freakin' huge margin. High-five to Nvidia for finding the amount of money their customers will tolerate, that's a damn good business model.

Isn't that just the same as congratulating Apple on fleecing their iSheep to the tune of 40% margins, yet here Nvidia is fleecing their NSheep to the tune of *66%* margins.

That's a freakin' huge margin. High-five to Nvidia for finding the amount of money their customers will tolerate, that's a damn good business model.
There is just not enough competition out there that offers anything that Nvidia markets, and until that happens they can pretty well get what they are asking for. I might have to wait for AMD to catch up after I get fleeced for this Nvidia's latest offering. sigh...

The gaming season? That's new
Winter when the weather is cold actually is what they call gaming season Fall->early spring when people are in the house doing nothing and holidays represent a spending time period all the way into tax season. You typically seen it with mmo style games.

sIntel beat them to it

There is just not enough competition out there that offers anything that Nvidia markets, and until that happens they can pretty well get what they are asking for. I might have to wait for AMD to catch up after I get fleeced for this Nvidia's latest offering. sigh...

Speaking of fleecing.

Who is ready to play $1500-$2000 for high end Ampere?

66% Margins!! Jesus why are you people ok with that?

Nv has zealots like apple does they will gladly pay it.

Damn dude, I didn't realize Intel usually has around 60% with just the last quarter being notably below that. I didn't realize (parts of) the tech sector ran such high margins. I guess I'm used to Samsung where a 15% margin is fantastic.
I think it has been happening for a long time in the tech sector including the days many years ago when sIntel and AMD traded the who can charge the most top spot for their FX/core2 CPUs

Speaking of fleecing.

Who is ready to play $1500-$2000 for high end Ampere?

Nv has zealots like apple does they will gladly pay it.

Or they have the money and they want the best GPU?

The 3090 will sell out fast. Not because of “zealots” but because it’s THE premium product on the market.

People who buy premium products pay premium prices happily.

Or they have the money and they want the best GPU?

The 3090 will sell out fast. Not because of “zealots” but because it’s THE premium product on the market.

People who buy premium products pay premium prices happily.

Or more money than brains.

Halo products are very rarely worth the money and with GPU's a new model faster in a year. So not really a good investment either.

People are free to do what they want with their money but doesn't change the fact its not good value for the money.

I can afford to drop $1000-$2000 on a gpu but won't because of principle.

Back