Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss returning for fourth Matrix movie

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It’s been twenty years since one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all times, The Matrix, was released. Now, over a decade and a half since the third film, a fourth entry in the series has been confirmed—and it will bring back original stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss.

Variety writes that production on the next Matrix will begin in 2020 and see franchise co-creator Lana Wachowski return as director, co-writer, and co-producer. Her co-creator sister Lilly reportedly won’t be involved in the project.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now,” Wachowski said in a statement. “I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends.”

Sci-fi novelists Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell will co-write the script.

Back in 2017, there were reports that Warner Bros. was looking to reboot the Matrix, with Black Panther’s Michael B. Jordan rumored to be taking the lead, possibly as a younger Morpheus.

There’s no word on what the upcoming movie’s plot might entail, or who will take on the role of Morpheus, a part originally played by Laurence Fishburne.

The much-loved first Matrix movie brought in over $460 million worldwide, and while many found the sequels to be disappointing, the franchise still made more than $1.6 billion.

As a perfect way to get you in the mood for the next Matrix, the original is being shown at AMC’s Dolby Cinemas across the US from August 30 for one week only.

Permalink to story.

This is ridiculous.

The first movie was ground breaking, instantly classic and brilliant.

Regardless what anyone says: the second movie was a complete mess.

The third movie was a bigger mess.

Yes the 2nd and 3rd movie created a story arc and concluded it, but when you really think about it, the first movie did not need a sequel.

We used to have this thing called: "imagination".

Last edited:
Yeah, the first was by far the best, especially since it presented a unique idea but unfortunately, like so many other "series movies" they just could not duplicate an equally fascinating storyline followed by superb acting. Now, the real mess will come when somebody decides it's time for a remake of the original!

Second movie was CGI fest, which was entertaining but that's about it, the third one... well, people needed closure, it was awful awful awful closure, I would've definitely preferred to have it end with the first one when Neo made the call and that was it. I can't un-watch that lame behind "sexy" party, Keanu's doll hitting a lot of air as he goes against the Smiths, the kid with the robot holding the fort... too much man too much.

I also remember when they were the Wachowski brothers...

Let's hope they stop massacring the first movie and make a good one.

The whole thing is silly if you think about it, they used us a power source? You know there are other animals right, like cows? They could have also just idk used real life chains instead of some intricate mind game reality world. Or physically disabled our bodies from birth. I loved The Matrix, but it needs a better premise.

Matrix 4, free the cows!

Pure Gold (especially in german)

Keep on hating on the follow ups. Thats all internet shenanighans. People love the trilogy. It was a perfect chabad fantasy. Worthy of a Shaver Mystery.

I guess Matrix 4 will take us to the moon and beyond.

Last edited:
I much prefer it to be a prequel than a sequel such as a similar timeline how they found Morpheus as they did with Neo. Perhaps ending with the Oracle telling Morpheus he would find "The One". I think if they jump back further it will disconnect the audience from the flow.

Animatrix was kind of a prequel, but way too far out weird, and didn't really do much explaining things to me.The short stories were a bit too short for my liking. To each his own.

The whole thing is silly if you think about it, they used us a power source? You know there are other animals right, like cows? They could have also just idk used real life chains instead of some intricate mind game reality world. Or physically disabled our bodies from birth. I loved The Matrix, but it needs a better premise.

Matrix 4, free the cows!

Most of that is explained in the animatrix series.

Second movie was CGI fest, which was entertaining but that's about it, the third one... well, people needed closure, it was awful awful awful closure, I would've definitely preferred to have it end with the first one when Neo made the call and that was it. I can't un-watch that lame behind "sexy" party, Keanu's doll hitting a lot of air as he goes against the Smiths, the kid with the robot holding the fort... too much man too much.

I also remember when they were the Wachowski brothers...

Let's hope they stop massacring the first movie and make a good one.
So we are not only looking at a continuing story of the series but also at who would make a better movie, man or woman while being the same person.
This war of genders is gonna be intense.

Didn't Neo and Trinity die at the end of Matrix Revolutions?

After death comes rebirth.

When Agent Smith transfered his digital mind into the brain of a human and converted his presence into the physical world outside of the digital one, that was phantastic.

He became a virus and infected the entire matrix, he would have proceeded to do the same in other dimensions.

Wasn't Tron and the Lawnmoaner man movie about the same?

After death comes rebirth.

When Agent Smith transfered his digital mind into the brain of a human and converted his presence into the physical world outside of the digital one, that was phantastic.

He became a virus and infected the entire matrix, he would have proceeded to do the same in other dimensions.

Wasn't Tron and the Lawnmoaner man movie about the same?

Based on the rules of the movie, Mr. Smith was able to "get out" of the matrix by transferring his consciousness into a human. Thing is:

#1 That doesn't work with anyone not connected to the matrix

#2 In the Real world there are only so many bodies to infect - and not enough food or energy resources to keep them alive

#3 Neo destroyed Oracle Smith and by doing so the rest of the Smith clones.

Back